We're Onboard Sirena, What Do You Want to Know?

editor@cruisecritic

all Oceania ships have the hand held dryers

They use Bulgari products in the showers

it was fine for my hair

I have fine hair

YMMV

Thanks. I have 2 small bottles that I usually decant my shampoo and conditioner into, just in case. :D

Well since the Azamara ships were originally with Renaissance, as were Sirena, Regatta, Insignia and Nautica (hence the term "R" ships), there's a good reason for that.

Mura

Ah thanks that clears up the 'R' thingy.

A friend is on board Sirena right now and says that the laundries take quarters, not tokens. And reception ran out of quarters very quickly. Think this will continue?? At 8 quarters per load ($2), that's a lot of quarters to bring!

Especially if you live in Scotland and use ££ and pence!! Lol ;)

The cruise director is the awesome Leslie Jon -- he's terrific. There wasn't much that I could see that wasn't finished. It was a very smooth launch.

The ship was certainly close to 100 percent. There may have been a few contractors aboard, but for the most part, just passengers (and our group of media and travel agents -- we all left Sunday, and a new group of passengers got on).

Carolyn

Who is the cruise director on the ship? Is the ship at 100%, or are there things still being finished that were not completed in dry dock?
Edited by editor@cruisecritic

What are the hours for the main dining room at lunch? If one is signed up for ship tours there are very few times when one could take advantage of the Jacques Bistro experience. No sea days on my cruise !:confused:

The hours are 12 noon - 1:30 p.m., Jakuehnle.

Carolyn

What are the hours for the main dining room at lunch? If one is signed up for ship tours there are very few times when one could take advantage of the Jacques Bistro experience. No sea days on my cruise !:confused:

Sirena definitely had new hairdryers in closets (one traveling pal didn't realize it was tucked away in the closet and used the hand-held, which is still on the wall in the standard balcony and window cabins.

Carolyn

Thanks. I have 2 small bottles that I usually decant my shampoo and conditioner into, just in case. :D

Hi. I know we've all been chatting about Sirena details but did want to let you know that Oceania's James Rodriguez and I will be chatting on the Oceania forum about all things related to the line. So if you have questions please wander over (the link is on the forum's home page).

Carolyn

1318245839_ScreenShot2016-05-04at4_35_02AM.jpg.a0abacba4989c847cc2a296cc1116b05.jpg

The cruise director is the awesome Leslie Jon -- he's terrific. There wasn't much that I could see that wasn't finished. It was a very smooth launch.

The ship was certainly close to 100 percent. There may have been a few contractors aboard, but for the most part, just passengers (and our group of media and travel agents -- we all left Sunday, and a new group of passengers got on).

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. If you don't mind, could you also advise who the Captain and GM are.

Sirena definitely had new hairdryers in closets (one traveling pal didn't realize it was tucked away in the closet and used the hand-held, which is still on the wall in the standard balcony and window cabins.

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn I will have to remember to look in the wardrobe for the proper hairdryer.

Carolyn: I'm among about 40 pax on the Roll Call for Sirena's July 27th sailing from Lisbon. We're talking about having a meet-and-greet on the departure evening. What venues on board might we consider as a location?

--Marne

P.S. I'll also ask this question of R-ships more generally to readers of the Oceania forum.

GM is Thierry Tholon. Don't know the Captain

The Captain was a wonderful and genuinely good guy called Giulio Ressa who did a great job keeping the ship going including dousing a small engine room fire ( oops, no such thing as a small fire at sea) that was quickly brought under control by the crew. We were walking along with him on Deck 5 in Marseille and he noticed 2 crew doing something in that little closet with the vented door, he opened the door and said," what the hell are you guys doing?", to much laughter from us and the 2 crew who were running some wiring. He told us he likes to have a joke with the staff and cares about his crew and his ship very much. He left the ship in Venice for 6 weeks vacation - well-earned after bringing her through this refurb IMHO!

:)

How are the speciality restaurants?

They are up to speed for Oceania, however, I was looking forward to tasting a

Tuscan steak, but the only one available is 20 ounces which is far too large for me and my wife. The best choice in our opinion was the tenderloin or the lobster as the other steaks are kind of thin - just our opinion. Service was outstanding, but it is rather "hyped up" for what still is a combo of Toscana and Polo menus. Red ginger is as good as ever and it is always interesting for us to note that the chefs in RG can achieve crispy duck that does not seem replicable in the JP roasted chicken dishes elsewhere. That was my one, minor, snag that the JP chicken dish always had skin that was not crisp and had to be discarded. The staff were really giving it their best and by cruise end all the venues were doing well and I can vouch for that having just topped the scales with 7 more pounds-soon to be gone. Great little ship for dining and up to O standards and beyond in some instances.:D

• 3 weeks later...
We will be on sirena in August Barcelona to Rome. How was the cruise and how is the ship? This is our first cruise. We are in a PH 3

Thanks so much

Cindy

Cindy,

We won't be on Sirena until October but this ship is virtually the same to the other "R" ships -- Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, originally Renaissance's R2, R1 and R5 -- with the proviso that some changes are being made which haven't been effected yet in all the ships. Such as the Owner's and Vista Suites will no longer have a jacuzzi, "merely" a big shower. (I say merely because I preferred the jacuzzi, not that we have traveled all that often in such luxurious digs.)

As far as the ship itself is concerned, I have NO concerns. Princess hadn't maintained the ship to Oceania's standards which is why they had such a major overhaul before sending her out with passengers. A PH (whether a 1, 2 or 3) is a very comfortable space.

You can have hot breakfast (omelets, etc.) if you wish, you can order in dinner from the specialty restaurants, etc. A more spacious veranda is ready for your relaxation on sea days.

The crew will be Oceania crew, which is always (as far as we are concerned) of a very high standard. They even recognize us when they see on other ships! I think that is remarkable considering how many other passengers they see between OUR trips. IOW, they see more passengers than we see crew!

I think going in a PH for a first cruise is about 20 steps up from our first cruise in a bunk bed cabin with a porthole! (Unless you meant this is your first Oceania cruise, which would be something else.)

Have a wonderful time.

Apologies for abandoning thread -- my instant email notification request is clearly not working! Hope we've covered most of the questions, but if not -- next week is my week to sit down and write the Sirena review, so am happy to answer any other queries.

Not sure if I sent you this link to my first impressions piece: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6999

Carolyn

The dress code for Terrace Cafe is relaxed, even for adults. Those shorts wouldn't work in the GDR but should be okay in Terrace.

Given summer temperatures in the Med, I'd think those shorts would be fine.

Mura