We're Onboard Sirena, What Do You Want to Know?

editor@cruisecritic

For those of us who are NOT booked into an Owner's Suite...can we get some nice pictures of veranda and penthouse cabins? And the Terrace Cafe? I know they *should* be the same as the other R-class ships, but I'd love to see the decor.

It was also really nice to see Sirena docked in Marseille. Our first O cruise there was docked in the same location (on Riviera BTW). But on Marina in October, we were 45 minutes worth of lengthy bus lines away from the city of Marseille. The following day we cancelled our next cruise booking on Riviera.

We're now rebooked on Sirena in July in hopes that Oceania will dock her in the in-town locations we've enjoyed on previous cruises!

(bolding mine)

Mura, I am afraid that you (and I) will be disappointed as this Jacques menu will not be available on the Nautica this June - at least AFAIK.

Hopefully they will include it on all R ships very soon but at the present it is available only on Sirena. If I am wrong about this I am sure someone will correct me.

Paul, I agree with you because I think your statement about Jacques at lunch in the MDR is only Sirena, at least for now.

However, we'll be on Sirena in October so I won't miss out! I do think that I had heard that the MDR on the "R" ships were already including a "few" Jacques dishes ... but maybe I'm wrong there.

Mura

Mura

We are thinking of the 31 day cruise from Los Angeles to Rome aboard the Sirena. From my signature you can see that I have sailed mostly on Princess ships, the smallest being the Pacific Princess 20 years ago.

We would be looking at the Veranda Stateroom. I am concerned that this might be too small for such a long cruise - especially concerned about the bathroom. Any chance you could show a picture of the bathroom, size of shower, etc. Also what kind of furniture is on the balcony? Is it just a plastic chair?

Since the Staterooms are the same do past Oceania cruisers think it is worth it to upgrade to the Concierge Stateroom. On a smaller ship is it more stable being on a lower deck nearer the water. Also will a transatlantic be 'rougher' an a this smaller ship than say the Celebrity Constellation that I crossed on.

Also anyone know what the limitations (# times) are for eating in the Specialty Restaurants on a 31 day cruise.

Thanks for any help. The perks are so good I really hate to pass up this opportunity but it would be our most expensive cruise so I want to be sure it is right for us.

We are thinking of the 31 day cruise from Los Angeles to Rome aboard the Sirena. From my signature you can see that I have sailed mostly on Princess ships, the smallest being the Pacific Princess 20 years ago.

We would be looking at the Veranda Stateroom. I am concerned that this might be too small for such a long cruise - especially concerned about the bathroom. Any chance you could show a picture of the bathroom, size of shower, etc. Also what kind of furniture is on the balcony? Is it just a plastic chair?

The cabins & bathrooms are small

some people can adjust to the size & live onboard for 6 mths but if you need more space I would opt for a PH

Hopefully the deck chairs are like the sister ships

they are quite nice (mesh & metal frame ) that recline a bit

Just to add if you are talking about the Pacific Princess that was built in 1971 as the Sea Venture the Sirena is a bit larger not a lot about 10,000 GRT

The other Pacific Princess formally an R ship it is the same size as Sirena

Since the Staterooms are the same do past Oceania cruisers think it is worth it to upgrade to the Concierge Stateroom. On a smaller ship is it more stable being on a lower deck nearer the water.

Thanks for any help. The perks are so good I really hate to pass up this opportunity but it would be our most expensive cruise so I want to be sure it is right for us.

The Veranda Staterooms and the Concierge staterooms are identical, other than location.

Thanks, Gwenniebabies. You're right, nothing's changed. The locker room and steam room are available to all; the private spa deck/pool is open only to concierge-class and above, and also to those who have a spa treatment. Was a little disappointed to see just five chaise lounges on that deck -- hardly enough for all -- and spa staffer was hopeful there'd be more added. It's important, of course, that on a ship just off a $50 million refurb, not everything is ready-for-prime-time :)

Carolyn

PS I am not in concierge-and-above and so am not really affected by lack of loungers!

Hi, I believe you met my daughter Katie, Spa Manager today !

Darcie,

I do sympathize with your situation. Back in Nov '05 when I was using a wheelchair and crutches, it wasn't always easy getting around. But I COULD walk (with crutches and for a few steps without), and when I went into the dining room in the wheelchair I could stand up and make my way to a chair at the table. So while my situation wasn't as serious as yours, I can relate.

I learned that visiting a museum from the view in a wheelchair can limit what you see. I learned that people seeing you in a chair seem to think that you are mentally disabled as well. My brother-in-law was disabled by a stroke for the last 13 years of his life, and he mentioned as well how when he was in a chair people would talk to his wife as if he could not comprehend what they were saying. I saw a bit of that as well.

Regarding the angle of the crew gangway, I have seen comments several times on CC that the depth of the angle can depend on the port. The ship can only do so much. It's possible that on your cruise all the ports had higher angles than some other ports. Besides that, I imagine that the "R" ships being much smaller have an advantage over Marina and Riviera in this connection.

Good luck in the future ...

Mura

Someone in an earlier post mentioned "flags of convenience." For one of the best discussions of this topic, and all sorts of other things about life in the maritime world, read "The Outlaw Sea" (2004) by William Langewiesche.

BTW, there was a US court case around 2005 declaring cruise lines that service the US are subject to ADA reqts. Of course, the way around that is the little phrase, "reasonable accommodation."

That's so awesome that you're following along on Katie's ship, gwenniebabes! She mentioned you were on Cruise Critic and that of course made me happy (plus I was in a post-great-massage-haze, so there's that) :)

Carolyn

Hi, I believe you met my daughter Katie, Spa Manager today !
Edited by editor@cruisecritic

One observation, sitraveler, having just come from Viking Sea, and now being on Oceania for the first time in a couple of years: Yesterday, in Monte Carlo, there were a lot of people who stayed on board, hanging out by the pool, etc. I get that -- we were tendering and it does seem like many folks have been-here-done-this. But on Viking you could hear a pin drop during a port day, with just about everyone on shore.

Carolyn

CSB

Enjoy Oceania. I'll bet your fellow travelers will be more adventurous than on Viking. And much more traveled.

It's all Jacques? My personal feeling is that this is a mistake. I certainly hope they don't roll it out to the other ships.

Lunch in the GDR is one of my favorite things while cruising Oceania. I'd be unhappy with the limited choices of just items from the Jacques menu.

We really have enjoyed the Taste Of The World samplers in the GDR for lunch. Sure would miss them and really don't want to go to the Terrace for lunch as we already frequently do dinner there when not booked in a Specialty.

Orv, I agree with you..I think it is a mistake to make everyday lunch Jacques with no other offerings on the menu..I do love Taste of the World but last time I was on board was told not a lot of people ordered it..and it may be taken off I was sad then..

Looks like Stu and I will be eating lunch at Waves and in the Terrace..

Jancruz1

As much as I love Jacques, I wasn't expecting a completely Jacques menu for lunch in the GDR and I agree that a compromise would have been in order. Have several Jacques-type dishes available but not ONLY those.

Oh well, no one asked me.

Mura

The big differences, LHT28, and it could well be possible that the other r class ships will get the same treatment:

*Jacques Bistro at lunch

*Vista and Owner's Suites -- completely redone

*New entertainment that could be rolled out among the fleet.

Carolyn

Looks very much like the Regatta except some chairs are a bit different & of course the restaurants have changed

Horizons is more open ..which looks nice

Very nice job

*New entertainment that could be rolled out among the fleet.

Carolyn

What is the new entertainment like?

Do you mean the productions shows or the other performers?

We saw one new show, Tuxedo, which was an amalgamation of torch songs from various eras. There's still the seven piece band and troupe of dancers and singers. There's another new show tonight called Acoustics. Last night, the entertainment was simple -- and extremely beautiful (okay call me a geek) but it was a Spanish flautist playing classical music. I loved it :)

The night before was a classical guitarist, and yes, you're gonna guess this: I loved it!

The shows are getting good attendance and it's a nice theater with no pesky support poles blocking your view.

Carolyn

What is the new entertainment like?

Do you mean the productions shows or the other performers?

Just posted a few more (standard veranda cabin, balcony, and shots from our dinner at Red Ginger).

I am troubled to hear that some cannot access Cruise Critic's Facebook photos. Not sure how else to suggest you look at them except by going to our facebook page (CruiseCritic) and scrolling down a bit if other stuff's on top. Anyone more tech savvy than me have a better suggestion?

Carolyn

Just a heads up that we've just posted our Oceania album on Cruise Critic's Facebook page -- hope you'll wander over and check it out. I'm still shooting photos so will add to it, but if there's something particular you're interested in, let me know here.

Thanks.

Carolyn

(PS It's just Facebook.com/CruiseCritic)