We're Onboard Sirena, What Do You Want to Know?

editor@cruisecritic

Carolyn, could you please comment on the accessibility of the ship, specifically accessibility in the main dining room and the gangways for disembarking at ports. On Riviera, even the supposed accessible gangway on deck four is not ADA compliant with regards to being accessible.

Thank you

Darcie,

I haven't been on Sirena before but I have been on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica and I assume things haven't changed that much between the ships.

You should have no problem in connection with the Grand Dining Room. In fact, we were on Regatta 10 years ago when I destroyed my knee and only discovered at the end of the dinner that I could not walk (when I tried to get up from the table). The waiters immediately whisked out a wheel chair and I was pushed to our cabin. There are no stairs leading to the MDR, just some ramps ... and they are not steep. I never had a problem being wheeled in and out on that cruise. I was always asked if I could access the table from the wheelchair, which I could, but if you would need to stay in the chair I don't think it wouldn't be a problem.

As to exits from the ship, that I can't really speak to. While I used the wheel chair on that cruise when necessary (I'd torn my meniscus) I was able to hobble on and off the ship with crutches so just how accessible ingress and egress is from the gangways with a wheelchair or scooter, I don't know. These are smaller ships than Riviera so the angles from ship to shore may not be so steep.

I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that one for you.

Good luck.

Mura

Carolyn, could you please comment on the accessibility of the ship, specifically accessibility in the main dining room and the gangways for disembarking at ports. On Riviera, even the supposed accessible gangway on deck four is not ADA compliant with regards to being accessible.

Thank you

The dining room should not be a problem for you

the hallways are a bit narrower than the O class ships & doorways to cabins also

on Regatta recently we disembarked via deck 3 or 4 most of the time

the ramp angle will also depend on the water levels & the dock

i-TWxDf54-M.jpg

i-LsBzG4H-M.jpg

Edited by LHT28

Thanks, Gwenniebabies. You're right, nothing's changed. The locker room and steam room are available to all; the private spa deck/pool is open only to concierge-class and above, and also to those who have a spa treatment. Was a little disappointed to see just five chaise lounges on that deck -- hardly enough for all -- and spa staffer was hopeful there'd be more added. It's important, of course, that on a ship just off a $50 million refurb, not everything is ready-for-prime-time :)

Carolyn

PS I am not in concierge-and-above and so am not really affected by lack of loungers!

The steam room is still there, it is available to all, but the private spa deck is for concierge level.

Hi, Kitty9 and thanks, LHT28. If you need more detail, let me know -- I'll ask for you.

CSB

the hallways are a bit narrower than the O class ships & doorways to cabins also

i-TWxDf54-M.jpg

i-LsBzG4H-M.jpg

At the muster drill yesterday (we were in the zone that was in the Grand Restaurant) I sneaked a peak at a menu for Jacques' lunchtime offerings (I'm not a reporter for nothing :) )

I expected really straightforward bistro food and it was a bit more enhanced than that (pumpkin something was the accompaniement to roast chicken) but didn't (alas) have the chance to photograph said menu.

On the other hand, we're dining with Jacques tomorrow at luncthime to sample the new menu -- which is available to all on this cruise, just not on day of embarkation -- so I'll let you know!

CSB

Carolyn,

Is the lunch menu in the MDR entirely from Jacques or just some dishes from Jacques?

TIA.

Thanks, Mura, for sharing your experience.

This ship -- along with Regatta, Insignia and Nautica -- is quite special. I've cruised on so many of them, from Renaissance days and Oceania to Princess and Azamara -- and even Swan Hellenic. They are just -- hand to heart -- lovely and soulful.

Are they perfect? No. But they're special.

CSB

Darcie,

I haven't been on Sirena before but I have been on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica and I assume things haven't changed that much between the ships.

You should have no problem in connection with the Grand Dining Room. In fact, we were on Regatta 10 years ago when I destroyed my knee and only discovered at the end of the dinner that I could not walk (when I tried to get up from the table). The waiters immediately whisked out a wheel chair and I was pushed to our cabin. There are no stairs leading to the MDR, just some ramps ... and they are not steep. I never had a problem being wheeled in and out on that cruise. I was always asked if I could access the table from the wheelchair, which I could, but if you would need to stay in the chair I don't think it wouldn't be a problem.

As to exits from the ship, that I can't really speak to. While I used the wheel chair on that cruise when necessary (I'd torn my meniscus) I was able to hobble on and off the ship with crutches so just how accessible ingress and egress is from the gangways with a wheelchair or scooter, I don't know. These are smaller ships than Riviera so the angles from ship to shore may not be so steep.

I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that one for you.

Good luck.

Mura

I do agree. They are very special. I love the "R" ships.

I also love the larger "O" ships for the "extras" they can provide.

I was going to answer to the "complaint?" above that the spa deck was so small on Sirena. But of course, it must be ... While we didn't use the spa deck on our last Marina cruise, I looked out and saw them when I was going in for an acupuncture treatment...MUCH more space. But the ship is much larger, isn't it?!

(Do the "R" ships have such other treatments available as acupuncture? Just asking!)

Yes, the smaller ship is more intimate ... because it is smaller!

They each have their benefits.

When I had seen that the new innovation would be some Jacques dishes available in the GDR for lunch I just assumed that they would be along the lines of the few items on the left hand side of the menu. From what I have seen of the Jacques lunch menus they are very complete. I am delighted to see that since we will be on Nautica in June.

(I speak as some whose favorite restaurant on the "O' ships is Jacques ... and Red Ginger is our least favorite ...)

Mura

i-TWxDf54-M.jpg

i-LsBzG4H-M.jpg

That's SO much better than on Riviera. May have to consider taking one of the smaller ships. We cancelled 2 cruises on Riviera because of their inaccessible gangways, which BTW, violate the ADA for accessibility.

Thanks for the photos.

the private spa deck/pool is open only to concierge-class and above, and also to those who have a spa treatment.

do you need to use your key card to access the spa deck ??

On our recent Regatta cruise they had 2 of the balinese beds & maybe 8 lounger chairs

4 in the shaded area ..not much room upfront ;)

i-BF25GVc-M.jpg

Hello Carolyn

I am puzzled why there have been so few posts in response to your offer. OK, Sirena is not new in the sense that Marina once was but there are meaningful new elements to this ship and surely a $40/50m spend prompts some questions on what you see that Oceania have got for their money. That's my question, anyway! How 'new' does the ship feel in the public areas and staterooms? Like a wholly new ship or more like a 50/50 old Princess vs new Oceania. And is it all finished - or are works still continuing?!

(we board on the 5 May)

thanks - and enjoy!

do you need to use your key card to access the spa deck ??

On our recent Regatta cruise they had 2 of the balinese beds & maybe 8 lounger chairs

4 in the shaded area ..not much room upfront ;)

i-BF25GVc-M.jpg

We spent many leisurely hours on the Spa Deck on our April 12-24 Regatta cruise( had Conceirge access). Never crowded , totally quiet and enjoyable ! There were 5 loungers and 2 Balinese beds.

Port sailaways were awesome from our private deck !

... We cancelled 2 cruises on Riviera because of their inaccessible gangways, which BTW, violate the ADA for accessibility.

I want to gently point out that as infuriating and disappointing limited accessibility, like inaccessible gangways, is for guests on an Oceania cruise, I don't it's illegal.

I 'm probably typical of a lot of people in thinking of Oceania as an American company since it is based in Miami. However, Oceania's ships are flagged in Majuro, Republic of the Marshall Islands so the laws of that country control what Oceania must legally do. ADA would not apply.

At the bottom of my post, I've included a link to a web site that does a good job of explaining flags of state control and flags of convenience. According to this web site, there's only one sea cruise ship that flies a US flag, the Pride of America, which only does Hawaiian itineraries.

Obviously, there are good business reasons and reasons of human decency why Oceania should make its ships fully accessible. But there's a difference between what a company chooses to do for its own reasons and what it must do because the ship is flagged in a country other than the US.

As you've already demonstrated, you vote with your pocketbook whether or not to sail Oceania's ships because of their accessibility issues. Unfortunately, I don't think you can go farther than that because there's no ADA violation taking place.

I don't know if understanding that Oceania isn't in violation makes things any better for you, but I did want to point out some missing pieces of information.

URL for Cruise Ship Registry article:

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/758-cruise-ship-registry-flags-of-convenience-flag-state-control

First, let me just say that the R-class spas are small but the one on Sirena is outstanding. Really lovely folks -- had a massage today and it was one of the best ever.

Asked about the usage of the private pool deck in front of the spa. Teh sweet spa manager says that policy is that it's off-limits to all who aren't booked in a concierge or higher stateroom, but that on port days when it's not so busy, if you have a treatment they'll try to work out access.

Carolyn

The steam room is still there, it is available to all, but the private spa deck is for concierge level.

Mura, you are going to love the Grand Dining Room for lunch. I think today was the first day it was open, and it was superb. So much choice!

It's open from 12 noon - 1:30 p.m. and there are two menus. It's all Jacques. One's a regular menu that will change some four times a year, depending on the seasons. The other is a daily menu with specials (see the photo for today's specials). It changes daily and there's a rotation of 14 different specials menus, so you won't get the same one twice if you're on a two week cruise.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I was impressed by how many options there were for folks who follow that regimen.

You can't imagine the hard work that went into this -- special china, the crew wears Jacques-specific aprons, and loved the French music playing softly.

My only quibble: Would be nice if Oceania could bulk up the wine list to include a good assortment of rose. We had lunch with Jacques today and that's what he picked for the table...and it was perfect.

When I had seen that the new innovation would be some Jacques dishes available in the GDR for lunch I just assumed that they would be along the lines of the few items on the left hand side of the menu. From what I have seen of the Jacques lunch menus they are very complete. I am delighted to see that since we will be on Nautica in June.

(I speak as some whose favorite restaurant on the "O' ships is Jacques ... and Red Ginger is our least favorite ...)

Mura

1794364588_FullSizeRender97.jpg.f6f206318c3fb08c2ec7d220f0518c42.jpg

Mura, you are going to love the Grand Dining Room for lunch. I think today was the first day it was open, and it was superb. So much choice!

It's open from 12 noon - 1:30 p.m. and there are two menus. It's all Jacques. One's a regular menu that will change some four times a year, depending on the seasons. The other is a daily menu with specials (see the photo for today's specials). It changes daily and there's a rotation of 14 different specials menus, so you won't get the same one twice if you're on a two week cruise.

While I'm not a vegetarian, I was impressed by how many options there were for folks who follow that regimen.

You can't imagine the hard work that went into this -- special china, the crew wears Jacques-specific aprons, and loved the French music playing softly.

My only quibble: Would be nice if Oceania could bulk up the wine list to include a good assortment of rose. We had lunch with Jacques today and that's what he picked for the table...and it was perfect.

Wow, this sounds like a game changer for the R ships...it is something that can offset the smaller cabins/bathrooms. Hopefully, they'll roll the Jaques concept out to Sirena's sisters when they drydock again.

We spent many leisurely hours on the Spa Deck on our April 12-24 Regatta cruise( had Conceirge access). Never crowded , totally quiet and enjoyable ! There were 5 loungers and 2 Balinese beds.

Port sailaways were awesome from our private deck !

I was only out there once so miscounted the loungers :D

There was no control over who could enter the spa deck area like on the O class ships

Mura

(bolding mine)

Mura, I am afraid that you (and I) will be disappointed as this Jacques menu will not be available on the Nautica this June - at least AFAIK.

Hopefully they will include it on all R ships very soon but at the present it is available only on Sirena. If I am wrong about this I am sure someone will correct me.

It's all Jacques? My personal feeling is that this is a mistake. I certainly hope they don't roll it out to the other ships.

Lunch in the GDR is one of my favorite things while cruising Oceania. I'd be unhappy with the limited choices of just items from the Jacques menu.

We really have enjoyed the Taste Of The World samplers in the GDR for lunch. Sure would miss them and really don't want to go to the Terrace for lunch as we already frequently do dinner there when not booked in a Specialty.

Just a heads up that we've just posted our Oceania album on Cruise Critic's Facebook page -- hope you'll wander over and check it out. I'm still shooting photos so will add to it, but if there's something particular you're interested in, let me know here.

Thanks.

Carolyn

(PS It's just Facebook.com/CruiseCritic)

Edited by editor@cruisecritic