Escape Haven Gratuities

rojoand8

I upgraded from a Mini Suite large Balcony on the Oct 22 sailing. I paid the gratuities for the dinner and beverage promos when I booked. Am I now entitled to a refund for the gratuities paid? I'm of the understanding that Haven guests do not pay the gratuities on those items. I haven't asked my TA about this yet. Believe me, I'm not one of those ELITE that the NY Times talks about--just someone who only sails about every 5 years and saves up for it.

I believe that with upsells, you take whatever promotions you had with you, so I don't think your beverage gratuity/service charge would be refunded. If you had booked a haven cabin in the first place, you would not have been charged that gratuity/service charge.

Edited by vince_g

If you paid full retail fare as an UPGRADE then you would get those "gratuities" back. However what they probably did is took the full fare (which does not include gratuities for your beverage & dining package), subtracted what you paid (which included the gratuities), and you owe the difference.

If you did an UPSELL then you did not pay full retail fare. You keep the promotions you had on the original booking and do not receive all 4 "perks". You also pay gratuities on the dining & beverage package.

Personally I'd much rather pay the upsell price and pay gratuities than pay retail price w/ no gratuities. Our upcoming Escape Haven upsell in an H6 ended up being 50% of retail price (upgraded from BX to H6). The $50 per port shore excursion credit and 250 minutes of wifi aren't that big of a deal for us.

If you so desire. They are not mandatory, but highly suggested. ;)

Seriously. It is not optional. Not paying is like walking out of a very, very expensive restaurant and not leaving a tip.

Edited by BirdTravels

I upgraded from a Mini Suite large Balcony on the Oct 22 sailing. I paid the gratuities for the dinner and beverage promos when I booked. Am I now entitled to a refund for the gratuities paid? I'm of the understanding that Haven guests do not pay the gratuities on those items. I haven't asked my TA about this yet. Believe me, I'm not one of those ELITE that the NY Times talks about--just someone who only sails about every 5 years and saves up for it.

When you upgrade or upsell, you maintain your original booking class on your reservation (next to your stateroom number). Since you are booked in a minisuite, you have to pay the gratuity on the meals and drinks package. You could cancel and pay full price for the Havens room and get all for free.

I did pay the full price--not an upsell. I got all four promos. I just needed to know, if a Haven is booked, do you pay the gratuities on those promos? And I definitely WILL tip the butler and concierge. I already have the money put aside in an envelope even though we don't sail until October. This whole Haven thing is going to be a surprise to my DH.

I did pay the full price--not an upsell. I got all four promos. I just needed to know, if a Haven is booked, do you pay the gratuities on those promos? And I definitely WILL tip the butler and concierge. I already have the money put aside in an envelope even though we don't sail until October. This whole Haven thing is going to be a surprise to my DH.

No you do not pay the gratuity in a Haven Cabin

You do not. Look at your updated invoice. You should see no Beverage or Dining Service Charge. They'll take the new fare, subtract what you've already paid, and you owe the difference. Yes you already paid gratuities, but that will instead go towards the fare. Hopefully I'm being clear......

If you do see beverage and dining service charges on your new invoice, then call your Travel Agent to sort that out.

I agree with you BUT it is not mandatory. If it was, you would be billed for it.

This is our first time in the Haven, so what is the suggested amount for your butler and concierge in terms of gratuities? thanks!

Edited by mayapapaya51

Depends how much you use them. I budget $10 per person per day for concierge and $15 pp per day for Butler BUT I will adjust those higher or lower depending on how we interact with them.

It is important to note that the butler and concierge are NOT in the DSC pool, your steward still is (but still may deserve extra especially in a larger cabin - for example in ours they have to clean a spa tub daily...)

This is our first time in the Haven, so what is the suggested amount for your butler and concierge in terms of gratuities? thanks!

Some will claim a lot more but I have left the butler $50-60 and the concierge $20-40 but I have made little to no claim on their time other than delivery of snacks or DVD's. I pre-book my own reservations and excursions as well.

If more services are provided I would increase either of those depending on what time I take they could be helping others.

Depends how much you use them. I budget $10 per person per day for concierge and $15 pp per day for Butler BUT I will adjust those higher or lower depending on how we interact with them.

It is important to note that the butler and concierge are NOT in the DSC pool, your steward still is (but still may deserve extra especially in a larger cabin - for example in ours they have to clean a spa tub daily...)

Thanks for your response, but I gotta ask, what is DSC? So many acronyms on here and lots I'm unfamiliar with. lol

Some will claim a lot more but I have left the butler $50-60 and the concierge $20-40 but I have made little to no claim on their time other than delivery of snacks or DVD's. I pre-book my own reservations and excursions as well.

If more services are provided I would increase either of those depending on what time I take they could be helping others.

So do they leave you envelopes for each of them? I've had a butler before but it was at an all inclusive so we just left it in the room.

So do they leave you envelopes for each of them? I've had a butler before but it was at an all inclusive so we just left it in the room.

We bring envelopes and write a little thank you note. We always hand the envelope to the butler or concierge. You can also add the money to your account at Guest Services. They will give you a slip to put in the envelope confirming that.

DSC is the discretionary service charge. It's the amount added to your on board account daily per person and is divided among your steward, the dining staff and back of house support - unlike other lines, NCL does not indicate how they are divided and if all goes directly to crew.

And they do not give out envelopes any more that I have seen..

Thanks for your response, but I gotta ask, what is DSC? So many acronyms on here and lots I'm unfamiliar with. lol