Carnival Sunshine - April 16th - Diary and Review

Catrin

Friday, April 22nd - Grand Turk

We have been to Grand Turk 4 of the last 5 Cruises. In our eyes, you cannot have a better port to relax, hang out, have fun. I have to admit, I have no idea what Grand Turk is REALLY like, because we have ONLY been to Margaritaville!!

Once we booked this cruise, we did not hesitate with the Shore Excursion in Grand Turk - we purchased a FlowRider ticket for Allison right away. We were given a 9:45 arrival time, so we knew it would be an early morning.

We woke up pretty early and once again ventured off for a quick breakfast. I know I said it before, but I cannot tell you how much we really liked the Lido Buffet area and aft Omelet stations. By now, we had it down and we were able to eat and be ready for 9am. We knew we wanted to be one of the first families off the ship, so we ventured downstairs around 9:15. BOY>>> we were LATE!!! Already, people were lined up and organized... and we ended up all the way down the corridor on Deck 1. They did make announcements NOT to go to Deck 1, but we were already there with hundreds of others waiting to get off the ship.

The line started moving and we were off rather quickly. Once again, photographers were there in their costumes grabbing folks for pictures that no one will buy!! We walked the VERY short walk through the Cruise Center Entrance - and before we knew it, we were there... at our home for the day... Margaritaville!!

DSCN0929_zpsniztklns.jpg

DSCN0930_zpsljff77bd.jpg

DSCN0931_zps8toskmp3.jpg

DSCN0934_zpstqq9rytm.jpg

DSCN0935_zps1n3lnvhr.jpg

DSCN0936_zpsbpjn1pj3.jpg

We had tons of time in Grand Turk today. We did not have to be onboard until 5pm, so we knew we could come and go and go back to the ship for lunch if needed. We did bring some soda and water for us, however. Margaritaville is a blast, but the food is extremely overpriced. Our plan was just to see how things were going and then decide. Once we got there, we were so early that we had our choice of chairs. I was able to get four chairs together on the edge of the pool, near the Flow Rider. It was important that I had an umbrella, and I loved the location.

No sooner had we arrived, it was time for Allison to get her bracelet, for me to sign the consent form and for her to line up for her adventure. The FlowRider is a simulated surfing machine. The excursion is 45 minutes, and how many times you go depends on how many people in your group. Both Matt and Allison had gone on the FlowRider before. Last year, their group was quite small and each had about a dozen turns. This year, however, the group was about 12 people and I knew right away, turns would be limited. Cost is $29.99 for the session. You can purchase tickets prior to the cruise, through the excursion desk or at Margaritville if not sold out.

DSCN0940_zpsqcrfjgph.jpg

Well... up to this point, our cruise, for the most part, was drama-free. No sickness, no fighting, pretty easy going. Well, nothing is perfect. Allison attended the lesson and then we watched Allison master the Flow-rider for two turns. She did great!! Completely smiling and loving every moment.

DSCN0942_zpsfrm4lkdv.jpg

DSCN0943_zpslne9kifb.jpg

DSCN0946_zpsdlw32zmb.jpg

DSCN0948_zpsgjynicrw.jpg

On the third try, she even posed for the camera and did a few tricks. They had her kneel on the board, but once she did that, she wiped out. BUT>>> during the wipe out, she totally banged her foot on the back wall and twisted her ankle. Yup.. we had to rescue our crying kid. The folks who managed the Flow Rider were wonderful. The Manager or owner told my husband he was certified first aid and had her wiggle her toes, etc. They got her ice and had her sit there for a while. Poor thing. She was devastated and in pain. Steve gave her a piggy back back to the chairs and we elevated her foot with ice.

DSCN0953_zpstuahdmcr.jpg

Then.. this is the only part I did not like. We had THREE security guards from Margaritaville coming up to me telling me to leave and bring her to a hospital. I told them flat out that she was FINE and we needed to keep ice on it and see how it was. No, I am not a doctor. But I am a Mom. They did not like my answer and they kept staring at us for about an hour, but eventually they left us alone. Once Allison got settled, I decided to quickly go back to the ship for some Advil. So, .. remember how I said it was a short walk? Didn't feel that way when you want to get up and back!! I was able to grab the Advil and the box of Oreos that we bought in San Juan and I walked briskly back to Margaritaville. By the time I got back, Allison was drinking a Strawberry Smoothie, Foot up on ice.. trying to be brave. But how did things get better? Yup...nothing like Oreos to make the pain go away! I was able to check out the beach, however, on the way back!

Eventually, Steve convinced her to go into the pool with him. Although it remained tender for the rest of the day, she was just fine. The folks at the Flowrider offered to let her attend the afternoon session, which we were grateful for, but we all decided that it was best that she sit the rest of this year out.

We spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon hanging by the pool, relaxing, people watching, listening to the music, etc. Mom and I ventured off at one point to browse the shops as well. The shopping is limited, but there is a great Tshirt/Sundry store, as well as a Ron Jon Surf Shop.

DSCN0954_zpsmxxu7egy.jpg

IMG_1255_zpsuzynaxtp.jpg

IMG_1256_zpsq7zkrqmx.jpg

IMG_1257_zpshkotmdb2.jpg

DSCN0957_zpswswtbnjx.jpg

IMG_1262_zpswde6vlsi.jpg

Although there are no pictures, Steve and I did take a break from Margaritaville at one point and walked the length of the beach, down to Jack's Shack. He bought a beer from there and then we walked back. It was nice to have a few minutes with just he and I walking along the beach!! There was a lot of activity all around. People playing with water toys, folks relaxing in the sun, others drinking at Jack's Shack. What a great time and a great relaxing port.

By mid afternoon, we decided to gather our things before the crowds started to head back. We stopped at those shops again and bought a T shirt for Allison and my Dad. We walked back and we got right on the ship with no waits!!

Steve and Allison went upstairs before coming to the room for Hot Dogs - pretty simple lunch for a very TIRED kid. She went back to the room and napped for the afternoon. I ventured to the Gym, and the others rested. After the Gym, Mom stayed with Allison and I went to the Lido Deck to read. At 5pm, there was an Earth Day Event and Bye Grand Turk Party as everyone returned. Donkey hosted line dances, music, and fun time for all. They had a banner made by the Camp Kids celebrating Earth Day and beads for all. They also had an Earth Day Cake and Cookies for everyone. Nice Touch to celebrate Earth Day!!

Before we knew it,we made our way back to the cabin and got ready for dinner. Since we only had one day left, we actually started packing a little that night as well. It was easy to take clean clothes that we would not be wearing and fill one of the smaller suitcases. We skipped the Hasbro Gameshow and just hung out at the Red Frog Pub for a bit, eventually turning in. Allison wanted to go to Owl Jams again, but we were able to convince her to come back with us at 10pm, as tomorrow was the last full day and we did not want her to be TOO tired to enjoy it.. GOOD CALL! We bought her a shake for the first time (good thing we waited until this night as she would want one EVERY NIGHT!). Night 7 was over. One more day to enjoy the sunshine on the Sunshine!

Back tomorrow with final day, wrap up and Final Thoughts!

IMG_1268_zpsfwayoug2.jpg

Catrin

In comparing Navigator to the Sunshine, yes the Sunshine is smaller one less day and not going to Bonaire but we can get a spa balcony on the Sunshine for almost the same price as an interior with promenade view and the sunshine seems to have a lot of free options, since they got rid of George Lopez are they going to get rid of Guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In comparing Navigator to the Sunshine, yes the Sunshine is smaller one less day and not going to Bonaire but we can get a spa balcony on the Sunshine for almost the same price as an interior with promenade view and the sunshine seems to have a lot of free options, since they got rid of George Lopez are they going to get rid of Guys.

Guy Fieri seems to be the one successful partnership that Carnival made with the 2.0 upgrades. Considering they just strengthened that partnership with the Guys BBQ place on the Magic, I would say that Guy's Burgers aren't going anywhere.

Hi Catrin! Just wanted to say I'm loving your review and also thank you so much for the information about the free trolley in San Juan. I sent it to my whole group for our upcoming Magic trip. We have a few elderly people who will absolutely appreciate (as do my husband and I).

Sorry to hear your little one was hurt on the flowrider. :( Looking forward to the rest of your review - and I'll be checking out your Magic review as well! :)

Hi Catrin! Just wanted to say I'm loving your review and also thank you so much for the information about the free trolley in San Juan. I sent it to my whole group for our upcoming Magic trip. We have a few elderly people who will absolutely appreciate (as do my husband and I).

Sorry to hear your little one was hurt on the flowrider. :( Looking forward to the rest of your review - and I'll be checking out your Magic review as well! :)

Thanks! I think they will really enjoy the free trolley. It is just a nice alternative to a tour. I do have to say, however, that the private taxi tours are aplenty, too... and even at $10.00 pp, that's a pretty good bargain!

Saturday, April 23rd... LAST DAY AT SEA... UGGG!!

The last day is such a weird day. You try to do everything you didn't do yet. You have to do the dreaded packing, you can't be up too late, because you have to be up the next morning etc.

Steve and I did do a bunch of packing the previous night - just so we would not spend the entire day packing! Mom and I started our day. .. by yep.. again going to the Gym. I ended up visiting the gym most everyday this cruise and made my 10,000 steps each day! It was funny on that last full morning that Mom and I were there with only two other passengers. Quite a difference from last first morning!!

IMG_1271_zpswt5bqbtz.jpg

IMG_1273_zpsfon51zvn.jpg

After the gym, we went back to the cabin and got ourselves ready.. for BRUNCH. But.. before brunch, we made our way to the biggest MOB SCENE of the Week.... the 2 for $20 Tshirt Sale!! Imagine 100 crazy ladies (and a few men) going crazy over Tshirts. Well, as usual, I was right there with them. Selection was actually quite good this year, and I was able to chose one for each member of the family. They try to get you.. 2/20 or 5 for 50. Either way, they are $10 each.

Being Platinum, Steve, Matt, Allison and I had drink coupons that could be used in the main dining room during Brunch or Lunch. We wanted more free drinks!! Brunch was once again very good. There was no wait in the dining room and we were seated at a table for five. Once again, I had my Raisin Bran french toast. Allison had chocolate chip pancakes, Steve had Steak and Eggs, Mom had plain french toast, and Matt had the gross combination once again of Fruit Loop French Toast, Mac and Cheese and Caesar Salad. As I am asking Matt about this right now, he yells out "Want a picture??" Ha... here it is.

image1_zpsa0vu8pqm.jpg

We did get our free drinks .. Allison and I had virgin Strawberry Daiquaris and we got two beers for Steve UNOPENED. If you get these coupons, feel free to ask for an unopened beer and save for later!!

After brunch, I went back to the room to pack a little more. Steve called the room to let me know he was on the upper deck of Serenity and there were plenty of chairs. I headed up there with my Kindle and the two of us just spent time sitting on a stool, under an umbrella relaxing, reading and watching the activities on the Lido deck and few decks down. I loved it here and wish I had taken the time to spend more time here. We had tried a few times, but the chair hogs were in full force here and we could never get a seat. Between the gym, family breakfasts, we just dont wake up and claim our spot early enough. Maybe if we cruise again without kids, we would spend more time lounging.

IMG_1276_zpshvken6m5.jpg

IMG_1277_zpsqpi3frgb.jpg

IMG_1279_zpsantawkng.jpg

Edited by Catrin

Mom spent her time browsing the shops, pictures, packing too. Allison spent her last day at Camp with her friends coloring T shirts and filling out her Memory Book. Matt was happy just hanging out.

The afternoon flew by... and before we knew it it was time to go back to the cabin to get ready for the Platinum and Diamond Party.

The day before, we had received our Invitations for the party. This was the first time that we attended the party for only Platinum and Diamonds, and we did not know what to expect. Allison was so excited to attend, as this was her first time as Platinum. She always remembers that on a cruise a few years ago, they had a boy stand up. He was the youngest Platinum at age 12. She was secretly hoping that she was the youngest on this cruise and that she would be recognized!

DSCN0960_zpsjbxmjftr.jpg

DSCN0961_zpsjmiyek13.jpg

We got to the party and it was PACKED. So many Platinums and Diamonds! We had to sit on the second level of the Liquid Lounge. Drinks were aplenty.. alcoholic kind. To find soda, fruit punch was difficult however. We finally had to ask a waiter to bring the kids a few drinks. Not only did they have Funship Special Punch, but there was an entire set up filled with beers. Also, there were four opportunities to win prizes by guessing the ship, the candy, the baby pictures of the staff and the ranking of officers. Donkey did a great job of introducing the Officers, playing a video etc. The party itself, however, was no different than previous past guest parties. Since everyone was platinum, there were no individual standouts, except a gentleman that had over 1000 (yikes!) cruising days! Allison, although a bit disappointed not to be recognized had a fun time nonetheless. She was happy to meet some of the officers and Donkey!

DSCN0966_zpsfpbnb3hp.jpg

Leaving the party, we were offered a few drinks to take with us, so I took a few beers for Steve for later.

After the party, we wanted to once again go to dinner early. We had very specific plans for the night!! The show times for Epic Rock were so early! 7pm was the first show, followed by 80's trivia party in the Atrium at 8. Allison also wanted to attend the last night of Camp Carnival with her friends and then they were all going to watch Inside Out on the Lido Deck. Dinner was just OK this night. It was weird to be seated at a table with new servers on the last night. Service was very good, but not personable at all. Because Mom and I wanted to make the show, we actually left before the waiters sang their final song.

Steve, was not feeling well at all during dinner, so he opted out of the show and went back to the cabin to rest a bit. (That's what unlimited drinks will do to ya!!). Mom and I went to EPIC rock, which was PACKED by the time we got there. We did find some seats higher up and enjoyed the show. This was my second time seeing it, as it was on the Conquest last year. I have to say, I thought this years cast was a much better fit for this production and I enjoyed it very much. 80's Rock Songs are featured here, which is my favorite music!!

After the show, We went right away to the bottom deck of the atrium for the 80's Trivia Party with Donkey. WHAT A BLAST!!! Just like the Motown party several nights prior, the night started by playing very short clips of 80's songs and everyone could guess on paper. Then each song was played and it was a HUGE singalong with hundreds of people. Donkey and the team were hysterical in thier 80's garb. It was a great way to celebrate with all the passengers on the last night. We attended similar parties on the Conquest last year and really love them. Steve and the kids joined us a few minutes in, so it was all of us celebrating and singing at the end of our cruise .. perfect!! At the end of the trivia, Donkey and his team took pictures with the passengers!

IMG_1288_zpsc9etrrey.jpg

IMG_1294_zps58g7ezef.jpg

After trivia, Steve and I walked around a bit, saw some beer pong going on in the Red Frog Pub, bought Allison a shake, and eventually headed back to the room. We finished packing and organizing for the early morning. Before bed, we headed to the Lido Deck for some late night Pizza.. something we had not done all cruise!! We brought down some pizza for Matt too and eventually headed to bed. We knew Sunday would be a VERY LONG day and we were happy and satisfied with our final day.

Sunday.. April 24th... Its over ALREADY?????

Is there anything worse than debarkation?? It was an early morning as the plan was to be in the lounge for self assist priority debarkation at 7:30am. Mom and I went upstairs early and gathered cereal, bacon, fruit, etc for everyone. I brought breakfast back to the room while everyone showered and got dressed. Its not easy to get five people together, with 6 suitcases, backpacks, carry ons, etc.. but we did it.

We have used Self Assist for several cruises now. Knowing that we had to rent a car, drive to the airport, return the car, deal with security etc, we wanted to be up and out first thing. We expected to wait in the dining room as we have in the past, so at 7:40, we left and made our way upstairs from deck 2. Well, once we followed the path for Platinum passengers, we walked right off the ship!!! Debarkation was the EASIEST we have had in all our cruises. The friendly folks from Port Canaveral welcomed us back, and we went through customs with no wait.

We were able to find the Budget rental car shuttle.. who had just arrived. We piled in and were the first ones to arrive that morning! Our car was ready and within 10 minutes we were on the road. We said our final goodbyes to the sunshine as we headed to the airport.

IMG_1298_zpsfglnrdu3.jpg

We rented the car for a total of 45 minutes. But... it was still easier for us to do that then the shuttle at $35 per person. I would do this option again in a heartbeat. The airport.... WAS PACKED!! Southwest line was out the door, around the corner, down the corridor.. times four lines back and forth. Where did all these people come from??? DISNEY!!! It took us a while to get through that line and then through security. To put things in perspective... we walked out of the ship at 7:45 AM and made it to our gate at 10:15 - 2 1/2 hours later.

IMG_1301_zpsbujbx4n6.jpg

Our flight, however, was not until 12:55. No big deal. We charged our phones, Steve and I walked, grabbed some early lunch and we boarded our flight on time. When we landed, we needed to figure how long it would take us to the ferry dock and I needed to buy tickets. BUT>>>> the Ferry was sold out. So we had to drive around Long Island, through New York and through CT home. We made it home at 8:50... just in time for Matt to watch Game of Thrones... Priorities!!!

Our cruise was over. We had plenty of laundry to do, tons of unpacking and work and school in 11 hours. Vacation - DONE!!

I will be back tomorrow with final thoughts.. if anyone has any questions, please let me know! Thanks again for reading!

Catrin

Would you happen to have pictures of the new 8 day menu from the main dining room?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am sorry, I did not take pictures of the menus. I should have! You can check out Zydecocruisers website. While they were not exact, they were very close!

I was curious about boarding in San Juan. When have originated there, security was split from the ship. You went through screening in the terminal, and then your bag was tagged if you needed further inspection on the ship. That meant a lot of people were tearing off tags as they went up the gangplanks!

I assume since this was just a stop security is like normal, where you are screened just inside the ship? Nobody sneaking alcohol aboard?

It's just a normal screening. People are "supposed" to stop by the liquor table to drop off purchases for pick up last day. It's quite easy, however to "forget" I suppose. I bought sparkling Ice water from CVS and was not questioned.

Sunday.. April 24th... Its over ALREADY?????

Is there anything worse than debarkation?? It was an early morning as the plan was to be in the lounge for self assist priority debarkation at 7:30am. Mom and I went upstairs early and gathered cereal, bacon, fruit, etc for everyone. I brought breakfast back to the room while everyone showered and got dressed. Its not easy to get five people together, with 6 suitcases, backpacks, carry ons, etc.. but we did it.

We have used Self Assist for several cruises now. Knowing that we had to rent a car, drive to the airport, return the car, deal with security etc, we wanted to be up and out first thing. We expected to wait in the dining room as we have in the past, so at 7:40, we left and made our way upstairs from deck 2. Well, once we followed the path for Platinum passengers, we walked right off the ship!!! Debarkation was the EASIEST we have had in all our cruises. The friendly folks from Port Canaveral welcomed us back, and we went through customs with no wait.

We were able to find the Budget rental car shuttle.. who had just arrived. We piled in and were the first ones to arrive that morning! Our car was ready and within 10 minutes we were on the road. We said our final goodbyes to the sunshine as we headed to the airport.

IMG_1298_zpsfglnrdu3.jpg

We rented the car for a total of 45 minutes. But... it was still easier for us to do that then the shuttle at $35 per person. I would do this option again in a heartbeat. The airport.... WAS PACKED!! Southwest line was out the door, around the corner, down the corridor.. times four lines back and forth. Where did all these people come from??? DISNEY!!! It took us a while to get through that line and then through security. To put things in perspective... we walked out of the ship at 7:45 AM and made it to our gate at 10:15 - 2 1/2 hours later.

IMG_1301_zpsbujbx4n6.jpg

Our flight, however, was not until 12:55. No big deal. We charged our phones, Steve and I walked, grabbed some early lunch and we boarded our flight on time. When we landed, we needed to figure how long it would take us to the ferry dock and I needed to buy tickets. BUT>>>> the Ferry was sold out. So we had to drive around Long Island, through New York and through CT home. We made it home at 8:50... just in time for Matt to watch Game of Thrones... Priorities!!!

Our cruise was over. We had plenty of laundry to do, tons of unpacking and work and school in 11 hours. Vacation - DONE!!

I will be back tomorrow with final thoughts.. if anyone has any questions, please let me know! Thanks again for reading!

Catrin

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. Pictures were awesome. Going on the Sunshine from NYC 7/4 In the future if you ever fly out of Islip again there is another Ferry Alternative. The Port Jefferson Ferry (Exit 62 LIE) is actually a lot closer to Islip airport and goes to Bridgeport Ct. Still would have cut your drive time significantly.

Have you ever thought about using Uber or Lyft instead of renting a car? We used Uber to get from Disney to Tampa international and it was $64 for a Dodge Durango. It's between $60 and $80 for Port Canaveral to MCO.

We never consider it. The rental car was quite cheap. $57 one way, $70 the other way with fees and taxes included. Nice option though for next time.

Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. Pictures were awesome. Going on the Sunshine from NYC 7/4 In the future if you ever fly out of Islip again there is another Ferry Alternative. The Port Jefferson Ferry (Exit 62 LIE) is actually a lot closer to Islip airport and goes to Bridgeport Ct. Still would have cut your drive time significantly.

Thank you for this info! I found out about that Ferry the next day, when a co-worker told me. I did not even know that one existed!! Live and Learn!!

We have cruised out of NYC three times. Can't beat driving to the port and being home in a few hours instead of all day!!

Catrin as always I really enjoy your review , after 23 cruises I am still learning and get so much information from you, we will be on the conquest next week and I already have the sunshine booked for next August . I seem to be a year behind you on ships lol... I did get a respond from the Marriott in St. Kitts which is something I never would have known about, so again thank you, he is excepting day passes for the day we will be arriving. Good luck with your family and I will be looking for you hopefully again next April

Gail

Edited by keene state mom

Hi Catrin:

Let me start by saying what great reviews. I started reading you reviews from the most recent to the last couple of years. Just want to tell you that you guys have done great work with weight watchers. Must be so proud of yourself. Just wanted to congratulate you guys for all the hard work. Your husband looks great as do you. Keep it up I know how hard it is to lose the weight..