Service Reward Scheme

peteukmcr

Lets be honest the staff want to get as much money out of us as they can for their own benefit and Carnival (i.e. P&O) want us to pay as much as they can to save them paying out in wages so more profit for them.

Having read this thread with great interest I am not really interested what P&O pay their cabin and dining venue staff.

Having been on numerous P&O cruises and speaking to numerous members of the crew many of whom have worked for P&O for many years the company must pay a rate of pay which is attractive to entice people to work for them.

As we now always take freedom dining after the first few night we identify a table with waiters we like and we normally manage to get that table or a table within their sector for the rest of the cruise. If their service is to our liking we will discreetly tip them something extra on the last night.

Throughout my working life no one ever tipped me, but I appreciate it is part of cruising life and I just regard it as part of the cost, at least P&O do not charge 18% on our drinks etc.

I have thoughrly enjoyed all my cruises and hope to enjoy many more in life to come, just remember life is short enjoy and saviour every minute because some people for numerous reasons are not as fortunate remember there are no pockets in a shroud.

Having read this thread with great interest I am not really interested what P&O pay their cabin and dining venue staff.

Having been on numerous P&O cruises and speaking to numerous members of the crew many of whom have worked for P&O for many years the company must pay a rate of pay which is attractive to entice people to work for them.

As we now always take freedom dining after the first few night we identify a table with waiters we like and we normally manage to get that table or a table within their sector for the rest of the cruise. If their service is to our liking we will discreetly tip them something extra on the last night.

Throughout my working life no one ever tipped me, but I appreciate it is part of cruising life and I just regard it as part of the cost, at least P&O do not charge 18% on our drinks etc.

I have thoughrly enjoyed all my cruises and hope to enjoy many more in life to come, just remember life is short enjoy and saviour every minute because some people for numerous reasons are not as fortunate remember there are no pockets in a shroud.

Apparently they do charge you 12%. It is rolled into the price you pay and not printed on the bill. All the 12 percents are pooled for each bar area and shared out amongst the waiters. This is why quiet bar areas are not popular with waiters, they get less tips.

Hi davecttr

I was aware that the bar waiters get a commission on their drink sales, perhaps that is why they are always asking if you require a drink. They also get moved between bars on a regular basis to even out the commission they receive.

Just chipping in on the Thomson question...

Dave is correct, there is never any pressure to tip, but we (and I suspect many others) always tip at the end.

What they do have is an "oscars" nomination form for each passenger to complete. Here you nominate your best person from differing departments, eg, housekeeping, bar, food service.

The staff will ask you to fill those in, nominating them. They get perks if they win, like an extra half day off, or permission to go on a shorex with the passengers.

They also have a crew welfare fund which passengers can donate to at any time by going to reception. this funds little luxuries in the crew mess like dart boards and games consoles. They always auction the cruise map at the end of the cruise for this fund as well.

Thomson have not always been this expensive, it's only really the last 2 years that we have found them so. Have had some great last minute deals with them.

All the 12 percents are pooled for each bar area and shared out amongst the waiters. This is why quiet bar areas are not popular with waiters, they get less tips.

Do you have evidence for this assertion, or are you just guessing how it works.

If we are in the guessing game, I would guess that the 12% goes into a pool for all the bar waiters and is divided up on a weekly/monthly basis.

Under your system how would you deal with a bar that had 5 waiters some only were scheduled to serve for the peak rush and some all the way through.

They also get moved between bars on a regular basis to even out the commission they receive.

Do you have evidence for this assertion, or are you just guessing how it works.

If we are in the guessing game, I would guess that staff are directed by management to work they are needed to serve customers, not to balance tips.

I'm confused about how they can roll tips into the price of the drinks, wouldn't all takings be treated as sales revenue and be taxable? If that was the case it wouldn't make sense to roll the two together. I suppose it depends on definitions based on the applicable tax regime - I've never understood tax regimes.

I'm confused about how they can roll tips into the price of the drinks, wouldn't all takings be treated as sales revenue and be taxable? If that was the case it wouldn't make sense to roll the two together. I suppose it depends on definitions based on the applicable tax regime - I've never understood tax regimes.

Don't worry Florry I doubt that even P&O understand how it works, but the simplest way is to assume that the base price of all drinks is increased by a certain percentage, and then that increase is put into the auto tip pool, and then paid to the waiters, the exact mechanism of which we are uncertain.

I imagine like all major corporations that Carnival fiddle their tax anyway, they probably operate a bit like Google and Starbucks.

Edited by terrierjohn

Insane Magnet

My information comes from speaking to a bar manager who was our wine waiter on our first cruise with P&O and whom we have met on a number of cruises while he moved up the ladder of promotion.

The movement between bars is carried out to give the staff experience of working in the various bars and it also gives all staff a chance to work in the busy bars where they make more in drink sales and then the may be moved to one of the quieter bars for a period of time.

You may also have noticed if you go to the bar yourself and order from the barman he will invariably assign your order to a waiter.

Perhaps if you took time to get to know some of the staff and spoke to them you might be able to pass some useful information on this forum .

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

OK, so I created this thread due to the notification that P&O were to increase the daily gratuity or service charge or whatever the heck you want to call it.

How the heck did it manage to end up discussing the salary of cruise line employees, the amount added to drink prices or included in the price?

If there is an example of a thread that should be closed, this is it.

You know that saying 'the only thing that can be guaranteed in this life is death and taxes'? Well it needs to include that: threads about dress code, embarkation times or gratuities will always end up in a bun fight [emoji6]

I never cease to be amazed at how this topic always creates so many varied responses. To me, it's a case of book your cruise, pay your grats, and have a fabulous time. The welfare of the crew is the responsibility of the employer not the passenger. Let's move on.

Brian

I never cease to be amazed at how this topic always creates so many varied responses. To me, it's a case of book your cruise, pay your grats, and have a fabulous time. The welfare of the crew is the responsibility of the employer not the passenger. Let's move on.

Brian

I'm with you Brian . I only wish on P and O I could prepay it with my final cruise balance as per other lines, then I wouldn't even have to see it on my on board account . Pay it, forget it and enjoy .

Glyn

OK, so I created this thread due to the notification that P&O were to increase the daily gratuity or service charge or whatever the heck you want to call it.

How the heck did it manage to end up discussing the salary of cruise line employees, the amount added to drink prices or included in the price?

If there is an example of a thread that should be closed, this is it.

Pete, it is difficult to have any thread that does not go off on a tangent occasionally, but in this case the included drink charge to cover waiters gratuities seems to be on topic, as of course is the end result of the level of stewards and waiters wages after the tips are added.

Pete, it is difficult to have any thread that does not go off on a tangent occasionally, but in this case the included drink charge to cover waiters gratuities seems to be on topic, as of course is the end result of the level of stewards and waiters wages after the tips are added.
Sorry I can't agree as my opening post was about the daily service charge (or whatever P&O want to call it) rising from £5 to £5.50 not the inclusion of a gratuity in the drink prices.

But whilst we're on that topic, the only reason many cruise lines sailing from the UK (this includes RCI) include a gratuity into the price (unlike when sailing elsewhere where it is shown separately on the receipt) is because those sailing from the UK are considered bad tippers and baulk at paying gratuities on drink purchases.

So whether it's 12%, 15% or 18%, it isn't obvious to the guest as it's included.

Sail RCI and other lines away from the UK and you'll see a drink for example $11.80 ($10 plus $1.80 gratuity), but maybe rounded up to $12 when sailing from the UK.

Has anyone ever considered that cruise lines could be making even more out of UK guests because you can't see the amount of gratuity included in the total price due to the reluctance of some to tip? :rolleyes:

And don't anyone start telling me that cruise lines shouldn't charge a gratuity on a drink purchase but they should pay their staff more, that's the way it is in the cruising world. If you don't like it, like many tell me when I disagree with some processes and procedures, don't cruise with that line or don't cruise at all :D

Oh and BTW I pre pay all my grats where I can, and tip more when I feel it is appropriate. I have no problem with the system.

Edited by peteukmcr

Sorry I can't agree as my opening post was about the daily service charge (or whatever P&O want to call it) rising from £5 to £5.50 not the inclusion of a gratuity in the drink prices.

But whilst we're on that topic, the only reason many cruise lines sailing from the UK (this includes RCI) include a gratuity into the price (unlike when sailing elsewhere where it is shown separately on the receipt) is because those sailing from the UK are considered bad tippers and baulk at paying gratuities on drink purchases.

So whether it's 12%, 15% or 18%, it isn't obvious to the guest as it's included.

Sail RCI and other lines away from the UK and you'll see a drink for example $11.80 ($10 plus $1.80 gratuity), but maybe rounded up to $12 when sailing from the UK.

Has anyone ever considered that cruise lines could be making even more out of UK guests because you can't see the amount of gratuity included in the total price due to the reluctance of some to tip? :rolleyes:

And don't anyone start telling me that cruise lines shouldn't charge a gratuity on a drink purchase but they should pay their staff more, that's the way it is in the cruising world. If you don't like it, like many tell me when I disagree with some processes and procedures, don't cruise with that line or don't cruise at all :D

Oh and BTW I pre pay all my grats where I can, and tip more when I feel it is appropriate. I have no problem with the system.

Mainly but not all Cunard sail from UK for most of their cruise programme and they add extra 15% on all drinks purchases and do not include it in the price and I am led to believe, but not certain, from friends who travel with Celebrity that they add 18% as an extra service charge on top of advertised drinks prices when sailing from UK.

Mainly but not all Cunard sail from UK for most of their cruise programme and they add extra 15% on all drinks purchases and do not include it in the price and I am led to believe, but not certain, from friends who travel with Celebrity that they add 18% as an extra service charge on top of advertised drinks prices when sailing from UK.
Interesting as I just assumed Celebrity (as part of RCI) did the same as RCI. I haven't sailed anything but RCI out of Southampton. I know RCI used to include the gratuity because when we disembarked from a transatlantic crossing from the USA ending in Southampton the staff were placing new drinks menus on tables which showed higher prices than we had been paying during the crossing to then include gratuity.

Interesting as I just assumed Celebrity (as part of RCI) did the same as RCI. I haven't sailed anything but RCI out of Southampton. I know RCI used to include the gratuity because when we disembarked from a transatlantic crossing from the USA ending in Southampton the staff were placing new drinks menus on tables which showed higher prices than we had been paying during the crossing to then include gratuity.

You are correct Pete, drink prices on Eclipse do not have any gratuity added, but you are also probably correct that in rounding them off Celebrity will err on their side rather the passengers.

• 2 weeks later...