Anchorage Restaurant Recommendation for Sunday Dinner

JennAngel9

I'm so sad to have recently learned that my favorite spot in Anchorage (Marx Bros Cafe) is closed on Sunday and Monday, the only two days we'll be in ANC. It looks like most of the other fancy spots are closed those days as well. Can anybody recommend a great spot for a special dinner (ideally seafood!) that is open on Sunday?

Thanks everyone! I have a picture of our party at Simon & Seaforts back in 2002 and we all appear to be having a great time, but I don't remember as much about the food.

I'd considered going to Humpy's just for the name (I know, very mature) and I love pub food, I just hadn't thought of their being much overlap between pub food and seafood, aside from fish 'n chips. ;)

Suite 100 and Glacier Brewhouse all look promising as well!

We're traveling with our toddler and my in laws and can eat together or separately (so we can take turns watching our daughter). Which of these places would be appropriate to bring her and which should we leave her home?

I'd considered going to Humpy's just for the name (I know, very mature) and I love pub food, I just hadn't thought of their being much overlap between pub food and seafood, aside from fish 'n chips.

I've always been completely unimpressed with Humpy's. If you are looking for a pub, F Street Station has amazing halibut fish and chips. But seating is very limited.

Marx Bros is certainly one of the very top restaurants in Anchoage...too bad it is closed...they have a small restaurant also in the Anchorage museum which is quite nic but don't know the hours or days that it operates. humpy's is basically a bar...good Halibut but nothing like Marx Bros...Simon and Seafort's has a good reputation, but I is a chain....albeit a fairly decent one...the restaurants at the top of the Captain Cook and the Hilton, are really very nice...much better than the usual hotel type food...lots of locals use the Captain Cook for special occasions as they do Marx Bros...check them out along with their menus....I love F st, but it is small, has only bar stools, except for a couple of small booths and is always noisy and crowded, especially in the summer. sack is very nice...excellent food, much more like a big city urban restaurant. Decent wine list.....outside the tourist area, take a look at Jen's....although he died ahile back, the food is still xcellent....also McKinnlys....for the bat oysters, go to the bubbly mermaid....Alaska has some of the finest oysters in the world, but people rarely hear about them...

I'm assuming you don't want to travel outside of the downtown area and since you will have the little one, I would stay away from the restaurants with heavy emphasis on the bar trade. Orso and Simon and Seaforts are very good. Of the two I would pick Orso but mainly because I love the Mediterranean diet, really though, it is a toss up. At one time Orso was very popular and number one in Anchorage, but then started a stretch where they slipped, probably because they decided to go with their reputation and slacked off. But then they wised up and last time we ate there it was excellent.

We have many favorites downtown, of course, Marx Brothers is the number one gourmet eating experience. But other than that, and lately, we have been preferring 1. Ginger (Their Alaska grown oyster shooters are great) 2. Sacks Cafe & Restaurant 3. Haute Quarter Grill, 4. "Crush", wine bistro and cellar (I like their pork dishes, Slow roasted Pork, or Bone In Pork Chop.) 5. Club Paris.

If you haven't relegated yourself to any venue yet, following is two C.C. links previous discourse regarding the same:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2303179

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2294339

I second Sack's and Ginger...How could I forget about them. Both are wonderful. Haute Quarter on 4th Avenue? I am still mad about them moving away from Eagle River.....Ginger is sorta Asian fushion....and excellent...Sack's is excellent regular type food. You can look at the menus of most of these restaurants on line...Check them out....and then last but not necessarily least....There is always M.A,'s for reindeer hot dogs...his way...right in front of the National Parks bld on 4th Avenue....The toddler:D would love it....:)

There is always M.A,'s for reindeer hot dogs...his way...right in front of the National Parks bld on 4th Avenue....The toddler:D would love it....:)

Hate to bring bad news, but Mike's Gourmet Reindeer Sausage was/is my favorite to. But he no longer at the old location, understand he moved to a new location just south of the old on F St. and now on 5th. M A has now found himself in a bit of trouble to say the least, has got himself lawered up. You be the judge; http://www.adn.com/article/20160212/anchorage-hot-dog-vendor-accused-inappropriately-touching-employee And: https://www.facebook.com/MAs-Gourmet-Dogs-106248696073893/?fref=ts

Edited by kennicott

never have seen him impaired....Guess I will have to walk a block to get one instead of just across the street...:( considering that weed is now legal.....Hmmmmm...nor have I ever seen him eating anything....brownies or otherwise. He always had a line a mile long....

I'd considered going to Humpy's just for the name (I know, very mature) and I love pub food, I just hadn't thought of their being much overlap between pub food and seafood, aside from fish 'n chips. ;)

We're traveling with our toddler and my in laws and can eat together or separately (so we can take turns watching our daughter). Which of these places would be appropriate to bring her and which should we leave her home?

We went to Humpy's when we were in Anchorage 3 years ago and they had a great seafood menu. My oldest son had golden crab legs that were as long as his forearm (and he's 6'3" tall!). They also had a GREAT salmon dip! Plus they had halibut and salmon on the menu along with the crab legs. Check out their website maybe they have a menu up there. I don't remember much but seafood on the menu. My youngest hates seafood (mostly), but he found something he loved!

If any of you Anchorage experts are still reading this, I thought I might hijack my own thread to ask if eating at Seven Glaciers in Girdwood is worth overcoming my terror of trams (we'll be staying at the Alyeska for a night or two). If not, what's the best alternative?

If any of you Anchorage experts are still reading this, I thought I might hijack my own thread to ask if eating at Seven Glaciers in Girdwood is worth overcoming my terror of trams (we'll be staying at the Alyeska for a night or two). If not, what's the best alternative?

Terror of trams? The ride down there is much more scary, LOL. My gosh, well I guess there is such a thing but that would be part of the dining experience up high, so if you are really concerned don't do it. I'm not making fun, I know from all my years in the flying business up here that these fears are for real.

So, go down there anyway, but for dinner eat at the Double Musky. So good, on more than one new year's eve we have taken a room at the resort there and really enjoyed the Double Musky for dinner. Probably a better gourmet dinner to boot. Particularly if you like excellent steaks and whiskey. http://www.doublemuskyinn.com/

Edited by kennicott

Thanks Kennicott. :) I love rollercoasters and am generally fine with high rises, monorails, and pretty much everything that doesn't involve hanging off a cable that seems to sway in the breeze. I'm generally pretty brave on ski lifts so long as I'm taking them uphill, but watching the downhill as you dangle 100s of feet above the ground is evidently too much for me. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't pregnant but am trying to minimize the amount of cortisol in my system for the time being. ;) I will check out Double Musky, no whiskey for me this trip, but my husband loves scotch and my father in law enjoys bourbon.