Sydney 'turnaround day' on B2B

Our next cruise (Sun Princess) will have 2 debark/embark days in Sydney.

Will we be required to debark with the rest of the passengers to get the zero count for the ship or is there a roll call of transit passengers on the ship?

Is there anything to do/see where our ship docks (White Bay)?

Is the ferry to Darling Harbour still operating?

Many thanks :)

Will we be required to debark with the rest of the passengers to get the zero count for the ship or is there a roll call of transit passengers on the ship?

Is there anything to do/see where our ship docks (White Bay)?

Is the ferry to Darling Harbour still operating?

Anna you will have to disembark the ship at White Bay for a zero count and you could get a taxi or the ferry into the Quay at $9 pp one way and the best way to get around Sydney by public transport is with an Opal Card which you can ring them up and it takes about 5-7 days to post out and you only pay $2.50

https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/opal_for_senior_pensioners/

i had a friend from Adelaide meet me a couple of weeks ago and they ordered an opal card and we got the ferry across to Manly and rode the Light Rail train all for $2.50....you just tap on and tap off

if you do get the Opal Card only put $2.50 on it and keep the card just in case you get back to Sydney again

Yes definitely get the Opal card, very cheap fares if you are a pensioner. We ordered ours online and only put $10 on them. You can top them up everywhere. Keep them for the future.

You can catch a ferry to Circular Quay and then take ferries everywhere from there. It also covers trains and buses and there is a daily limit, once you reach that limit you ride free..... quite good really.

I understand that the ferry from near the White Bay Terminal is not covered by the Opal card because it is privately run by Captain Cook Cruises. The fare is $9 with no discount for pensioners/seniors.

It costs around $25 in a cab to the CBD. This is reasonable compared with $18 for two on the ferry, and if there is another couple wanting to share the cab, it is even cheaper per person.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I understand that the ferry from near the White Bay Terminal is not covered by the Opal card because it is privately run by Captain Cook Cruises. The fare is $9 with no discount for pensioners/seniors.

It costs around $25 in a cab to the CBD. This is reasonable compared with $18 for two on the ferry, and if there is another couple wanting to share the cab, it is even cheaper per person.

That's right Capt. Cook ferry to WB not covered by opal card.

Taxi can hit about $40, so in reality if there are three or four taxi is less, but also more convenient in my opinion.

Taxi can hit about $40, so in reality if there are three or four taxi is less, but also more convenient in my opinion.

If you time your walk-off for the ferry correctly you will at least be avoiding the wait in the taxi queue.

That's right Capt. Cook ferry to WB not covered by opal card.

A few months ago we went to Martin Place by taxi from White Bay and the fare was $24. The return from the Rocks was $30. We had shared the first taxi, and the return one was just ourselves. We ended up paying $42 when the cost of going on the ferry would have been $36 and we would have had to wait a while because the ferries go every 20 minutes.

I suppose the disadvantage with a taxi is that you do not know exactly what the fare will be until it is time to get out of the taxi. In our case, it probably would have been better to return to White Bay with the ferry, but really, the difference was only $6 for two. I suppose we had been walking so long, we were just happy to collapse into the back of a taxi. :)

Thanks everyone. You've been a great help planning our turnaround days.

BTW there is nothing to do at White Bay. The nearest suburb is Balmain and some of the residentials overlook the terminal. However, it is quite a convoluted walk to get there. You could take a cab into the main strip and then either a cab or bus from there to the city or walk to the end of the main road and catch a ferry from Balmain East.

Balmain is not a tourist destination though unless you like to join the coffee set.

It's been a while since I've sailed on princess, but last year we did back to back on RCI. All transit passengers weer ushered in to one of the lounges and "dinged off" in there to get their zero count. Not sure if this applies with Princess though.

You could take a cab into the main strip and then either a cab or bus from there to the city or walk to the end of the main road and catch a ferry from Balmain East

The taxi driver will be really happy about that fare I'm sure...

Yes I know they have to take any fare but I'd feel for them waiting in a taxi queue and then score a short ride like that one

Yes I know they have to take any fare but I'd feel for them waiting in a taxi queue and then score a short ride like that one

Want to see a pi $$ed off cabbie? Ask a Melbourne taxi driver to take you from the airport to the air traffic control tower at peak hour [emoji6] man I learnt some new words on that trip. ....

Oddly enough we caught a taxi in Singapore for a fairly short trip - SunTec City back to the cruise terminal. We were chatting to the driver about Sydney taxi drivers not wanting to do short trips and he was amazed by that. He'd rather do lots of short trips than sit in a queue for ages waiting for a longer fare.

In Sydney the drivers would rather go back into the city empty from the Lower North Shore to pick up a fare rather than picking up shorter fares in that area. We've given up trying to get a taxi to pick us up from our home for a shortish journey ie Lane Cove to Crows Nest or St Leonards. They just don't turn up. We have to walk down to the nearest main road to get one.