Labor Day Cruise...Lots of Kids?

danstr1

I'm considering booking the Escape for a cruise over Labor Day (9/3 thru 9/10). I don't want to come off as a curmudgeon......nor do I want to offend anyone. My only apprehension about booking is the amount of kids on board. I had done some googling on the matter previously and found overall that there wouldn't be many children since most schools return to class the week prior or of Labor Day. Recently, I've found posts that suggest otherwise. My past several cruises have been with Celebrity and Princess so there were few children (sadly, I may have been classified as such). Not that I mind well behaved kids but my phobia started years ago on the Carnival Dream where the amount of kids nearly outnumbered the adults (I'm not kidding). Anyone out there been on a Labor Day cruise on Norwegian that could share their experience? I certainly don't expect don't expect no children. Just hoping not several hundred!

I would imagine there should be less, but I think you should be prepared that there could be several hundred children. Not all children will be in school. There are some schools around the country that are year round, with various breaks of two to three weeks periodically throughout the year. School may start at a different time for people in other countries, and you could see a lot of children from Europe or South America. You could see children who are too young to be in school yet. And lastly, you could see children whose parents just don't care that they are taking them out of school for a week.

If you have a fear of children I think you would be better off avoiding Escape. Escape has a high passenger capacity and it is tailor made for families with children. Actually, Norwegian in general caters to families. I hate to say it, but you might be better off on another line, maybe like Holland.

Thanks for the feedback. Certainly all things to consider. No fear of children...only a cruise ship overrun by them :) Celebrity and Princess have both been a very good fit. They just don't sail the waters of the Caribbean that time of year. I'm a fairly young curmudgeon at 40 so much of the entertainment offerings aboard the Escape are appealing. I've found the the entertainment on Celebrity and Princess to be geared more towards an older crowd. I guess it's all a trade off. Heck, with the free beverage package, I may not notice those dang kids anyway!

My wife and I are sailing on the Dawn, on Labor Day weekend, and it looks like we'll have a healthy amount of kids. A number of cabin categories are sold out. Adults or kids we are going go have plenty of company.

Statistically speaking, I would think that week would not attract many families with kids.

This is based on most schools have just recently started for the year and that very few parents (no matter how gifted their prodigy is) want the kids to miss the first few days/weeks.

Also, since it's a holiday week, the prices won't be really low yet.

I was on the Carnival Splendor last year over Labor Day and I really don't remember a lot of kids on board.

We have been cruising on Labor day week for years as it is our anniversary and we get a free day off. There are never very many kids - maybe some toddlers but most can't take a week off of school when it has just started. Great week to cruise!!!

What's OP's definition or concept of "lots" of kids & what age, LOL :D

There will always be pre-schoolers & toddlers cruising but they usually aren't problematic - it's a mega-ship & you aren't going to run into the "few" that are on the ship ;)

It's hurricane season and you are planning a Caribbean itinerary, just a friendly reminder of the storm risks - that's something different to think about ... how are your sea legs, in excellent conditions. No phobia, good. :eek:

Edited by mking8288

It DOES NOT MATTER what week it is, i.e Labor Day, Spring Break, Winter Recess, Etc, etc, etc... if school is not in session, for ANY REASON, there will be far more kids on board than a week that school is in session. Out of our 7 NCL cruises, 5 have been in May, 1 in January, and 1 in October. Kids have never been a problem

:D :D

Our schools run early August to early May. Is there anyone left that starts after Labor Day? I had no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes LrgPizza it does exist - just like Santa ;).. our kids (well one of them now cause the other 2 have graduated high school) - go back after labor Day. Much of that is because in our district there are Fairs that end Labor Day and there are ALOT of kids that work them, with that said, we are in rural New Hampshire :D and we also go into the 2nd week of June!

Yes LrgPizza it does exist - just like Santa ;).. our kids (well one of them now cause the other 2 have graduated high school) - go back after labor Day. Much of that is because in our district there are Fairs that end Labor Day and there are ALOT of kids that work them, with that said, we are in rural New Hampshire :D and we also go into the 2nd week of June!

We usually start the day after Labor Day (so not many would cruise this week), and go through tbe third week of June.

Our state fair, which is one of the largest in the country, doesn't even start until after school starts. It's so stupid. I live in a rural community that has to excuse a large amount of kids from school to participate in fair activities. I'll never understand our schedule.

On the other hand, I like getting to vacation mid May when school is out.

And I don't understand the Santa comment since you used words I didn't. If you want to be a smart ass, you need to step up your game. I can give you pointers if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app