Royal Dishonest Advertising Continues

ee1999

Luckily, boards like cruise critic give the consumers the ability to let the cruise lines know their opinions. These boards are monitored by many lines.

I think you are overestimating the influence of CC.:cool:

I see where you're coming from on the actual cruise fare sales, but the drink and Internet packages have standard set prices, where as fare prices will always vary. So, if a sale is advertised on something like a premium drink package that is normally $49/day but only shows $47/day at 20% off this is when I would say it's not a properly advertised sale. It doesn't really matter if I think $47/day is worth it or not, it's the fact that they took 4% off and called it 20%. In this instance the gratuity added doesn't matter, it's still not a 20% off sale. They have the right to artificially increase package prices at anytime, I think people are just saying its a dishonest practice.

I can see your point. But "glitches" and other assorted incorrect "sales" happen elsewhere. How come people aren't up in arms about these "sales"? :D

9_walmart-sale.jpg

5373978_orig.jpg

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

I can see your point. But "glitches" and other assorted incorrect "sales" happen elsewhere. How come people aren't up in arms about these "sales"? :D

9_walmart-sale.jpg

5373978_orig.jpg

Haha, that's great! If it was a buy 3 for the price of 3 sale I'd do it in a heartbeat, of course! :)

I like Royal, but they have to stop their dishonest advertising. Last weekend they offered 20% off of ultimate and premium drink packages. We are interested in the premium so we checked and instead of 20% off it was actually a little more than a dollar a day more (the price was $61 a day including service charge).

Like many I called Royal and they said it was a glitch, but they would have it fixed within a day. I could book with customer service at full price and when it was fixed I could cancel and rebook at the correct rate. I saw no advantage to that and decided to wait.

Today the rate online changed to $51 and some change and changed the total amount in my cart. The problem was my total went up $2. Turns out the new rate didn't include service charge until it was in your cart raising the daily charge to $61.26. I'm thinking I should by now before they give me 30% off and I can't afford it anymore.

I know many will sound off about what's the big deal, but it boils down to treating the customer with respect. I will still cruise and probably on Royal. I just think with the degradation of all they are doing to C&A, service, and overall quality at some point they need to reinvest and recommit if they want to keep people "Loyal to Royal."

We've left Royal for a time as a means of showing our displeasure with much of what they're doing and I would say if you are unhappy with the "disrespect" then you ought to consider doing the same. If we all continue to stay "loyal to Royal" despite all the changes we don't like and the dishonest sales promotions, then we get the cruise line we deserve.

I'm not saying I'll never go back but we're on at least a 2 year hiatus while we cruise with NCL and Princess.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I also enjoy much of what Royal offers. Sometimes good businesses will change a practice if enough of their customer base speaks up. I am within 60 days of sailing, would you walk away from 50% of your cruise cost?

I disagree with a lot of what companies do to consumers these days. Luckily, boards like cruise critic give the consumers the ability to let the cruise lines know their opinions. These boards are monitored by many lines. Public discussions here can be as or more effective than me as a single consumer going off the deep end and saying I will never cruise Royal again. When a single consumer doesn't moan, or whine, or whatever other derogatory adjective you'd like to insert just walks away, do you think that changes anything?

I will voice my complaint. If the company changes, great I will do business with them. If they don't, I will weigh wether it is worth me taking my business elsewhere. I believe that is reasonable.

I believe it has more potential for a Change than moaning and whining on the Internet, while saying in the same post that one will continue to make Business with them.

The Internet is way less powerful than People wish to think. As Long as their sales still work, People can moan and groan on the web as much as they wish, the sales practice will continue. Only if they realize People don´t buy with their current sales strategy they will Change.

And to those of you that feel you must put in your 2 cents with snarky comments (I won't name names Biker19), they aren't necessary and add nothing to the conversation for those who have a legitimate gripe and concern about RC jerking us around.

And the claims of "dishonesty" and "criminal" add what to the conversation?:rolleyes:

Luckily, boards like cruise critic give the consumers the ability to let the cruise lines know their opinions. These boards are monitored by many lines. Public discussions here can be as or more effective than me as a single consumer going off the deep end and saying I will never cruise Royal again. When a single consumer doesn't moan, or whine, or whatever other derogatory adjective you'd like to insert just walks away, do you think that changes anything?

Cruise lines may monitor Cruise Critic but as long as they are sailing full, why would they change? CC is a VERY small percentage of the total cruising populace. Threatening to take your business elsewhere won't really do anything. Actually taking your business elsewhere probably won't do anything either, so long as there is someone else waiting to pay for your cabin. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

My advice...find a cruise that you like at a price that you're willing to pay (including drinks, gratuities, etc.), and enjoy the cruise.

The only message they get is if you Pony up and actually take your Money elsewhere.

They don´t Need any threads on CC to know that you can take your Money elsewhere. They won´t care about it until it actually happens.

??? Isn't that what I said or is this a lecture to those who've complained?

I see you only quoted my last line, did you not see the rest about unnecessary snark?

Ugh!:rolleyes:

And the claims of "dishonesty" and "criminal" add what to the conversation?:rolleyes:

I didn't say those words , but now that someone else did they may actually be correct.

And I quote "The FTC Act prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium."

Have a great day all!:)

I believe it has more potential for a Change than moaning and whining on the Internet, while saying in the same post that one will continue to make Business with them.

The Internet is way less powerful than People wish to think. As Long as their sales still work, People can moan and groan on the web as much as they wish, the sales practice will continue. Only if they realize People don´t buy with their current sales strategy they will Change.

When you whine and moan about my whining and moaning I know I am being heard. If you just went silent and didn't respond how would I know?

??? Isn't that what I said or is this a lecture to those who've complained?

I see you only quoted my last line, did you not see the rest about unnecessary snark?

Ugh!:rolleyes:

I didn´t think the rest of your Scribble was worth recognizing or even repeating.:)

When you whine and moan about my whining and moaning I know I am being heard. If you just went silent and didn't respond how would I know?

I´m glad I could make you feel important and heard. It´s good to know I made you feel better.

I think we can blame a lot of this on Royal's Double-Double program, a business strategy they've paraded out before their shareholders that promises an ambitious doubling of earnings-per-share and ROIC (essentially return on their huge infrastructure investments - aka new ships) by 2017 (when compared to 2014 numbers).

With revenues down in South America (economic recession) and in Europe (thank, ISIS) and the China market not quite there yet, the North American Caribbean market is the current "cash cow" that's got to fulfill the goals set by the D-D program. Hence, we're not seeing any genuine sales here, and, in fact, are watching the cost of add-ons steadily rise - seemingly by the month!

As for keeping that pesky "Loyal to Royal" crowd happy, it's probably not a big priority for them. They have too many Diamonds as it is! If you notice, the latest marketing campaign (Come Seek) focuses on what they call "the new to cruise" population. Those who don't know enough (yet) to feel jaded by diminishing service levels and higher pricing. Those newbs are ready to fill the cabins we all now consider too costly.

This all said, it really doesn't excuse the levels they've sunk to in deceiving their customers - with these phony "deals". And let's not even talk about how ridiculous it is trying to talk sense to their customer service reps; CC members know the policies and promotions way better than they do!!

Edited by WinksCruises

I guess if enough people voice their concerns companies do listen. This morning on my cruise Harmony 6/26 the drink package prices were changed to truly reflect 20% off.

Hopefully, it's across the board for all cruises.

On the other hand, the SURF package on ships that don't really have VOOM (most at this point) is more than the 30% off in the ads. Internet used to be $20/day in the package, which has been lowered to $13/day on board and now is $10/day (the 30% off) when bought pre-cruise.