Passport v/s BC for 6 mo old

A passport is "recommended" for everyone but not "required".

A certified BC (not the one issued by the hospital) is accepted. For anyone over the age of 16 must also have a photo ID as well.

But for me personally......I would never sail without everyone in my family having a passport.

Edited by GTO-Girl

I vote passport as well. Both my kids had theirs when they were about the same age. The LAST thing you want to be worrying about in a foreign country is, "Trust me, you can take my children's BC instead of a passport!". You'll give anything in that moment to wish you'd taken the time and spent the $105. :) If you're a AAA member (might have to be premier?) you get the passport photos for free I think.

You *could* also do a passport card for $40, but it's not valid for international air travel. Other restrictions may apply. Better off just getting the passport. :)

As a parent that traveled overseas with kids ranging from when they were newborn to 15 I highly recommend a passport. While not required as cb at sea said for closed loop cruises. Stuff happens and it's better to be safe than sorry. I know that's cliché but it's appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not needed....unless you want to spend the extra money.

Not required, but then neither is trip insurance. Personally I feel a lot better with both.

Edited by danv3

Another vote for Pass Ports especially when flying where you will be visiting Foreign Ports. in the event you need to fly home due to an emergency, having a Pass Port will expedite your travels. I for one am not getting any kick backs for advising fellow cruises the importance of having all documents. It is better to have more then you think you need then to stand and say to yourself, I wish I had brought that document. Some Transatlantic will actually require that you leave your pass Ports with Cruise line to be returned during the final day of cruising.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I'm a big proponent for passports, but the answer to the OP's question is:

If you are traveling on a closed loop cruise, beginning and ending at the same US port (which Allure does) you don't need a passport for the 6 month old. You do need a certified copy of a birth certificate (which as an aside, you'd also need to receive a passport).

Travel by air, travel to a different US port, etc., would require a passport.

Personally, I'd probably get one anyway, but it's not required. (And I don't get a kickback either way!)