Need Help for Hotel for a family of 5 in central Rome

volinder

Hi Everyone,

We are in Rome for a couple of days before our cruise leaves, and on the way back as well. My wife and I have 3 kids, 11, 5, and 3. Typically in most North American hotels, we just get a room with two queens, and the 5 of us sleep comfortably. I know with Europe things can be a little different. Can anyone please recommend a great hotel (ideally 3+ to 5 star) that can accommodate all 5 of us in one room and be in a great location that we can walk around (ie. Pantheon)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Volinder

Hi Everyone,

We are in Rome for a couple of days before our cruise leaves, and on the way back as well. My wife and I have 3 kids, 11, 5, and 3. Typically in most North American hotels, we just get a room with two queens, and the 5 of us sleep comfortably. I know with Europe things can be a little different. Can anyone please recommend a great hotel (ideally 3+ to 5 star) that can accommodate all 5 of us in one room and be in a great location that we can walk around (ie. Pantheon)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Volinder

Friends have stated in a family room at The Indigo and love it. Give it a look.

You might want to look at apartments for the family of 5. There have been some postings in the past for apartments - search for those.

I do want to warn you about something relative to hotels in Europe and stating number of people: be sure you say you are having 5 in your party. In the US, you can get away with saying there are 2 people and then just showing up with the remaining 3 and stuffing into a hotel room. The hospitality laws are more strict in Europe. You will be charged extra for unbooked folks and sometimes you will be denied your booked rooms because it is not bookable for X number of people.

I did a little testing of some sites for you - the "booking" one and a "venere" one - I use that last one when checking places in Europe. When I put in "2 adults, 3 children" a popup box appeared to enter the ages of the children. I also tried the website of my employer - it allowed me to enter 2+3, but all the Hotels in Rome were "please call due to the complexity of your reservation" - meaning you may have to do connecting rooms.

Thanks for all the info. Slidergirl, appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I'll do a little more research and check things out. I'll post on here, for future reference for other families with 5 members.

Thanks for all the info. Slidergirl, appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I'll do a little more research and check things out. I'll post on here, for future reference for other families with 5 members.

You are welcome. I have the "family" sneakers all the time at my hotel. Dad will book the cheapest room on points and say "1 person". We block the cheap 1 King bed room as what he requested. Dad shows up over Spring Break for his reservation with Mom and 3 kids in tow. He blows a gasket when we cannot accommodate him; the King room can have 1 rollaway so 3 out of 5 will have a place to sleep, if we even had a Queen room available (Spring Break - always sold out), no rollaway can fit, so only 4 of 5 will fit. The only option is for Dad to buy a connecting room (if we even have a connector available) or buy up to a suite and pay extra to use both the sleeper sofa and a rollaway…

The best thing you may want to do is to contact the hotels directly to find what they can do for you. The websites were a little misleading - even though I put in "5", some of the sites showed rooms that were set up for 2 or 3 and didn't indicate if rollaways or sleeper sofas made up the difference.

Edited by slidergirl

As a fellow parent of 3 kids, I know and feel your struggle! There is a great website - sleeps5.com - that has lots of suggestions for sleeping families of 5 around the world. Maybe you can find something there that would help you!

Here's another option:

http://www.residenzaanticaroma.it

Although we haven't stayed there yet, they do have a suite that sleeps 5 and we are booked there for 3 nights pre-cruise in June! Good luck!