Pollution in South East Asia

The joys of travel. If you're going to complain about stinks, sanitisation and all that jazz - stay home. Underdeveloped countries are not pristine environments. OK?

My original intention when I started this thread was to warn people of the current pollution issue, which is worse than I have ever experienced in any of the many trips I've done to SE Asia over the past 20 years.

I'm sure most people are aware that underdeveloped countries aren't pristine but given the current levels of pollution those who are prone to respiratory illnesses may wish to avoid cruises to this region or, if they do choose to cruise there, should ensure they have adequate supplies of medications with them just in case.

I really like exploring SE Asia but the older I get the harder it is to cope with high levels of pollution.

Interestingly I found it easier to breathe inside the ship than on deck. Typically we would spend much of the day on deck and by the time we returned to our cabin in the early evening the cough, that developed after Bali, was always worse. A couple of hours inside the ship and it eased again.

Agreed. My point was that there seemed to be no environmental awareness. Our guide was quite was puzzled when I mentioned why burning off their rice fields was not good for the environment.

While it's not great it's not really that bad. The big problems occur when fossil fuels are burnt as they release extra carbon into the atmosphere. Grain stubble is in the short term carbon cycle.

Am i blind or do i have a reading disability,i haven't seen one person complain on this thread,all ive seen is informative information.

As opposed uninformed information? ;)

Anyone in or around Sydney this weekend would think that we have moved to SE Asia - smoke has blanketed Western Sydney due to the still conditions prevailing while they are backburning in the Blue Mountains. Reminds me of my visit to Malaysia last Oct when much of the country was blanketed from the forest burning in Indonesia.

Anyone in or around Sydney this weekend would think that we have moved to SE Asia - smoke has blanketed Western Sydney due to the still conditions prevailing while they are backburning in the Blue Mountains. Reminds me of my visit to Malaysia last Oct when much of the country was blanketed from the forest burning in Indonesia.

I know! I've been hiding indoors most of the weekend. I'm still not completely recovered from the cough I had on the cruise.

At least that sort of smoke is only around for a couple of days here - there is some rain coming through this evening that should clear it away. The haze in SE Asia goes on for months.

BTW From what I've heard the forest burning is also happening in some parts of Malaysia and in North Thailand, it's not just Indonesia. Very sad. Eventually it will impact tourism if it stays at that level.

Hang on a minute - now you are all saying it is the weather/burning off conditions around Sydney. I thought you were all saying a little while ago that the Golden Princess was to blame. It seems someone is just trying to blame someone or something. As I said before why is it always a sick ship and never a sick passenger that is the problem?:)

Edited by joybook

No, joybook, we are just saying that Sydney has had bad smoke pollution over the last two days due to hazard reduction burnoffs. The waether forecasts have had pollution warnings. This is not typical for Sydney but is a result of unexpected weather conditions allowing to smoke to stay around longer than usual. It is not expected to last, unlike the pollution in SE Asia.

Also I have never said that my cough was caused by Golden Princess. I spent the Bali day sitting outside in the pollution and developed bronchitis because of that. Exactly the same way I developed bronchitis some years ago after spending a day outdoors when there was bushfire smoke around. The onset and symptoms were identical.

Exactly the same thing happened to us on Queen Mary 2 in March. We were a group of 12 and 10 of us ended with a terrible cough that initially we were blaming on the air con. It all started after our day in Kota Kinabalu and got worse as we continuted on to Shanghai then Hong Kong. While we were driving in the taxi to the airport in HK we could smell the pollution coming through the vents in the car. Also amazed that the plane actually took off as we couldn't even see the other planes on the tarmac. Incidentely we also did a cruise at the same time last year, from Sydney to Singapore via Bali and Komodo island. We also became sick on that cruise but I hadnt thought of the pollution at the time. This time it took me a good 4 weeks and hubby the same to start feeling good. Thats the end of my cruising around those parts, my health won't cope as I have unhappy lungs at any time. Dr also sends me off with a couple of courses of antibiotics and I take and use my puffers.

Off to Japan in a couple of months, been there about 8 times with no respiratory issues.

• 2 weeks later...

We travel to Asia regularly and now pack face masks (like you would have for the flu) and Ventolin and check the air quality readings regularly.

The first time we flew to China I started wheezing in the aerobridge before we even got into the terminal.

The pollution is unpredictable, we have had days where you can't see across the street followed by a day where you can see for miles, you can't predict it, just have to be prepared.

Bangkok seems to be mainly vehicle pollution and I have had slight carbon monoxide poisoning there from walking down the busy streets! Last time we were in KL they put out warnings for people to stay inside because of the smoke from the burn offs.

It doesn't stop us from going ( we are back in China for a month later this year) but it does mean you have to go prepared!

As a Singaporean living in Southeast Asia, my advice is to avoid travelling in Southeast Asia during the months of July to October. Just to be safe from the Haze situation that has been plaguing the lands from Indonesia which gets pretty worst during these months.

If you ever do come during the haze months, I suggest you follow local health advisories and stay indoors. When going out, do wear a N95 mask or something similar.

As a Singaporean living in Southeast Asia, my advice is to avoid travelling in Southeast Asia during the months of July to October. Just to be safe from the Haze situation that has been plaguing the lands from Indonesia which gets pretty worst during these months.

If you ever do come during the haze months, I suggest you follow local health advisories and stay indoors. When going out, do wear a N95 mask or something similar.

Sorry, I have already had my say on this topic.

Just wanted ts say how much I like your byline. I choose to make my cruises peaceful.

My Sister-in-law and Father-in-law were on that cruise. My SIL got bronchitis as well. My FIL got a cough. On return to Aus my FIL ended up in hospital with pneumonia. They are both on the mend but as it was their first cruise they have now got a very negative attitude to cruising. We love cruising and have been lucky enough to stay well even when one ship was struck with Noro virus. I can't imagine ever getting them on a ship again. It's such a shame.

Edited by benjoon

That is a shame, benjoon. :( But with those levels of pollution they could have got just as sick visiting Hong Kong without the cruise.

I hope you can convince them to give cruising another try, perhaps to the South Pacific islands or to NZ. Plenty of fresh air in those places.

That is a shame, benjoon. :( But with those levels of pollution they could have got just as sick visiting Hong Kong without the cruise.

I hope you can convince them to give cruising another try, perhaps to the South Pacific islands or to NZ. Plenty of fresh air in those places.

It is a shame but cruising is over for them. They don't travel and we always knew that a 21 day cruise as their first wasn't going to go well. Two kids that were with them ended up with dengue fever which has been blamed on the cruise as well but they live in Darwin where they could catch anytime. Oh Well some people only see the negative in things.

Shortly after our first cruise in November last year I came down with Whooping Cough and then developed double Pneumonia. Did it turn me off cruising?

Nah! We leave on the Carnival Spirit on Monday for 10 days in the Islands.:D

It didn't turn me off either. :D

We booked our upcoming PNG cruise less than a week after arriving home from Hong Kong. :eek: :D

Hopefully the air will be cleaner off most of PNG, although that will probably depend on the mood of the local volcanos. ;)

Have a great cruise, Russell21.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ