Holland America Line Confirms New Features for Next Pinnacle Class Ship

LauraS

I don't think people who don't like music loud are too old to cruise, but rather the replacement of what used to be offered with what is offered now reflects changing preferences. Looking over some recent On Location newsletters it appears there is more entertainment and activities my spouse and I will enjoy, and consequently it makes sense that there would be fewer offerings that we wouldn't enjoy.

I don't think people who don't like music loud are too old to cruise, but rather the replacement of what used to be offered with what is offered now reflects changing preferences. Looking over some recent On Location newsletters it appears there is more entertainment and activities my spouse and I will enjoy, and consequently it makes sense that there would be fewer offerings that we wouldn't enjoy.

I am glad there are things that you enjoy. The challenge for some of us is that the things we've loved to do on a HAL cruise are disappearing - ballroom dancing, promenade decks to walk on that have great views, etc. I don't believe this reaction is age related. I don't like the BB Kings given the volume and would definitely not have enjoyed them in my teens, 20s, or at any other time. I am not sure how HAL is deciding what to offer but it doesn't seem to be based on customer input from a full range of guests as I don't recall so many unhappy posts here in the past. And I haven't seen a dance floor as crowded as on Westerdam in October so there clearly are others who like to dance.

I first read the posts here in 2007 and I recall just as much disappointment with the changing then as now, just about different changes.

Well, people were certainly upset with the Retreat was being installed on the Veendam in 2009 and with GOOD reason. And they made sure that HAL heard them. In fact there was enough concern that HAL modified the Rotterdam's Retreat and quit installing them after that ship.

Same thing with the wine policy change. If people hadn't spoken up, there would be no corkage fee. You would be limited to one bottle of wine only.

So, sometimes it is WISE to not accept change ;). Sometimes people are disappointed or disgruntled for good reason and not blindly accepting bad changes can result in improvements for everyone who sails.

Edited by kazu

Remember when Carnival was going to ban curling irons? They backed off that in a hurry when they realized that women were not going to cruise without that essential item. Obviously a man thought up that little gem.

The retreats were a double edged sword. Passengers complained endlessly about our dismay because we lost the Seaview Pool...and then, it caused leaks in the cabins below. So they had to re-do the Retreat. Initially, wasn't it similar to the Rotterdam Retreat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The retreats were a double edged sword. Passengers complained endlessly about their dismay over losing the Seaview Pool...and on top of customer anger, it leaked into the cabins below. So they had to re-do the Retreat. Once again. Initially, wasn't it similar to the Rotterdam Retreat?