Holland America Line Confirms New Features for Next Pinnacle Class Ship

LauraS

I agree with Cruiser Bruiser, I think the library changes are in large part due to the electronics age. I do NOT like the idea of the space going away, but on the Voyage of the Vikings this summer, I was a regular visitor to the Expresso Bar, and I noted, day after day, that while the "Library" space was pretty full much of the time, for the folks reading there at least 75% were using electronic readers, the rest books and the daily NYT paper. Plenty of "older" looking folks were using e-readers.

I manage a public library in a community that is 30 percent active adults (the new phrase for senior citizens). Our most frequent activity is teaching our AAs how to download library e-books onto their devices. The transition to electronic reading is happening very rapidly. I know I love my Kindle.

I manage a public library in a community that is 30 percent active adults (the new phrase for senior citizens). Our most frequent activity is teaching our AAs how to download library e-books onto their devices. The transition to electronic reading is happening very rapidly. I know I love my Kindle.

The only thing I don't like e-readers for are non-fiction and reference books - it's too hard to go back and forth to charts, appendixes and maps. Everything else is on my e-reader (I have a kindle and an android tablet, that I read from) because I don't want to lug around a suitcase full of books.

Edited by Happily@Sea

The only thing I don't like e-readers for are non-fiction and reference books - it's too hard to go back and forth to charts, appendixes and maps. Everything else is on my e-reader (I have a kindle and an android tablet, that I read from) because I don't want to lug around a suitcase full of books.

Well perfect. That's what they still have on Koningsdam in that space

Well perfect. That's what they still have on Koningsdam in that space

I'll be on in February, [only 7 days though] and I will have to peruse the library to see if I think there is enough selection for a non-fiction reader. I hope so. The Prinsendam library was wonderful and all those sea days...

I'm afraid the library is most likely a victim of electronic devices and Wi-Fi. I bring my own library with me on my Kindle, for example, and I can imagine that use of the library's books has declined considerably as a result.

My books are on my iPad.

Have not been on her, but from the write up & pictures from her first cruise the one big thing I didn't like was the Promenade Deck. I miss the traditional wide open to the sea with deck chairs. Don't know if HAL will or can do anything about that.

Allan

I don't know what you mean "wide open to the sea"? You did make me look at pictures of the ship because I thought you meant it had been closed in. It was not, to my relief.:cool:

Ah....I found a picture that shows what you mean. Yeah that is not good.

Edited by Tinknock50

I'll be on in February, [only 7 days though] and I will have to peruse the library to see if I think there is enough selection for a non-fiction reader. I hope so. The Prinsendam library was wonderful and all those sea days...

From what I hear KDam has no library to speak of. The so.called corner they do have are traveling reference books.

No fiction no non-fiction. No library!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name=RuthC;

HAL needs to understand that removing places that don't generate revenue' date=' and replacing them with revenue generating places, also remove many of the reasons for wanting to sail their ships in the first place.[/quote]

You SO hit it right on the head with your comment Ruth! HAL will be loosing a lot of their faithful following if they continue with the new trend that the Koningsdam is bringing. I realize that they need to make money, but there has to be a better way to find that balance between what cruising used to be and the disaster that it has become with most of the other lines. Not everyone wants to drink until they puke, listen to the loudest music possible or buy stuff (which is usually crap!). We do have stores on land for that, let us get away from all that. And please, PLEASE get rid of the scam art auctions, particularly on the Grands and the World Cruises!

Linda R.

• 1 month later...

I did read in a post this last week, and I can't remember who. They were on a HAL ship and were told by a staff member that HAL has got so much flack about the library or the lack there of on new ships that they are rethinking the issue. Time will tell.

Allan

just a few discards from passengers and a few travel books. Blend is rarely used and we never saw many people there, justa lot of set ups. Wasted space that could be a waiting area for the dining room. Now you get a buzzer and no seats so they come to the Ocean Bar and there's no place to sit if you are there for drinks. Having the pizza and deli on deck 10 rather than near the lido is a big misteak. Also the cabins are smaller and it's difficult to watch TV except from your bed, Bathrooms are cramped and under counter is very limited. Even the toilets seem smaller. They will need to make lots of changes. The decor is cold and uninviting especially in the dining room. Virtually no art work anywhere, only photos in the cabin and nothing in the hallways and no seating by the elevators. Not a ship I would pay extra to sail.

Ah, but will HAL fix the horrible mistake they made with the Promenade Deck. That is the question.

There you go again. You haven't even been on the ship, posted that you could not access the promenade with your scooter (Dec 9) which is not correct, and put forth a "horrible mistake" based solely on something you read.. Also in that Dec. 9 post you stated a fact that there is no chair in a inside cabin based on a picture you saw. I suspect that the chair was omitted from the picture to make the cabin cleaner looking. It is inconceivable that HAL would EVER put a desk in a cabin without a chair. I have never seen one....

The promenade deck.

This is the horrible mistake some of us are talking about. Access to the railing is blocked by lifeboats. See picture in post 32.

Because of this I will never choose this ship if it ever makes it to Alaska. It is too much fun walking the promenade to watch for whales.

Edited by Tinknock50

There you go again. You haven't even been on the ship, posted that you could not access the promenade with your scooter (Dec 9) which is not correct, and put forth a "horrible mistake" based solely on something you read.. Also in that Dec. 9 post you stated a fact that there is no chair in a inside cabin based on a picture you saw. I suspect that the chair was omitted from the picture to make the cabin cleaner looking. It is inconceivable that HAL would EVER put a desk in a cabin without a chair. I have never seen one....

You defend this atrocious design as if it were your own.

We get it---you love the ship, and no one is allowed to post anything negative about it (no matter how justified).

You defend this atrocious design as if it were your own.

We get it---you love the ship, and no one is allowed to post anything negative about it (no matter how justified).

No. Just calling attention to the fact that all of your information is second (or third) hand.....

On a related subject - of the 1750 feet of promenade, about 500 feet are unobstructed rail....

Edited by Tennessee Titan

.. Also in that Dec. 9 post you stated a fact that there is no chair in a inside cabin based on a picture you saw. I suspect that the chair was omitted from the picture to make the cabin cleaner looking. It is inconceivable that HAL would EVER put a desk in a cabin without a chair. I have never seen one....

There really are no chairs in the inside cabins. There is the small stool for the desk. The cabins that sleep 3 have a sofa for that third person, but it is placed about a foot from the bed.

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/8092-koningsdam/

I guess they've made the cabins smaller to squeeze in the extra passengers.

We usually book insides, but not so sure about doing that on Koningsdam.

Edited by OVgirl

There really are no chairs in the inside cabins. There is the small stool for the desk. The cabins that sleep 3 have a sofa for that third person, but it is placed about a foot from the bed.

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/8092-koningsdam/

I guess they've made the cabins smaller to squeeze in the extra passengers.

We usually book insides, but not so sure about doing that on Koningsdam.

I stand corrected (from a first hand experience!

All that white space along the sides is obstructed. The front part of the ship is cutouts in the hull. That leaves the back with railings. This would never work for me.

No. Just calling attention to the fact that all of your information is second (or third) hand.....

On a related subject - of the 1750 feet of promenade, about 500 feet are unobstructed rail....

10361d4b109c6c8_zpsey9dvofs.gif

Edited by Tinknock50

It seems some folks are attacking the design as if the ship was their own as much as people defending the design as if it were their own. To the extent that the accusations are true, neither makes much sense. The ship is the ship. Whether it is atrocious or magnificent is for each person to decide for themselves, and demonizing anyone who holds to the opposing perspective has a detrimentally chilling impact on interchange of thoughts, perspectives and ideas. I think many would prefer it if people just expressed their personal appraisals as personal appraisals rather than categorical appraisals, and that both disappointment and delight were allowed to be expressed without folks denying other's right to feel what they feel.

One of the things I've noted about Konigsdam, at least, from the videos I've seen of it, is that they seem to have achieved last bit in the article, the big ship with a small ship feel. I compare the videos of Konigsdam with my own videos of Noordam and have no real reason to think that it is 20% larger.

One other thing I noted, at least comparing Konigsdam to Nieuw Amsterdam, is that I didn't see anything on N. A. comparable to Konigsdam's Billboard Onboard. That is someplace I could see my spouse wanting to spend a good bit of time in the evenings. I need to dig a little deeper I suppose to see what comes closest.

All that white space along the sides is obstructed. The front part of the ship is cutouts in the hull. That leaves the back with railings. This would never work for me.

10361d4b109c6c8_zpsey9dvofs.gif

I dasagree. The area aft alongside the MDR and stern is not obstructed. Narrower maybe, but clear to the rail.

Towards the bow, it is clear to the rail. At the bow it is a passageway from port to starboard.

Have you been on the ship, or are you just looking at the deck plan?