Holland America Line Confirms New Features for Next Pinnacle Class Ship

LauraS

I dasagree. The area aft alongside the MDR and stern is not obstructed. Narrower maybe, but clear to the rail.

Towards the bow, it is clear to the rail. At the bow it is a passageway from port to starboard.

Have you been on the ship, or are you just looking at the deck plan?

I have not been on the ship , but if the deck plans are accurate, all the white areas represents way too much obstructed deck for my tastes.

My favorite destination is Alaska and long stretches of obstructed promenade would definitely hinder my enjoyment, if this ship makes it to Alaska.

I am not suggesting you shouldn't like the ship just because I don't. :)

Edited by Tinknock50

Here are some photos for all of you ship geeks, such as myself, of the promenade.

Bulkhead cutouts near bow......

750251463496702_zps9qlet4p8.png

Railing at back of ship and around restaurant.....

113741463496721_zps7rmduoak.png

Fashionable narrow promenade....deck chairs passe here......

113181463493901_zps5tgxczjl.png

Edited by Tinknock50

Thanks for the pictures Sean. Any ship is more then the Promenade Deck, or library or lack there of, of either. I'm sure there are lots of things that are great about this ship. Having not been on her I don't know. If we get the opportunity some day we'll make up our own mind. This new class of ship has sure generated a lot of discussion, for & against her.

Allan

Thanks for the pictures Sean. Any ship is more then the Promenade Deck, or library or lack there of, of either. I'm sure there are lots of things that are great about this ship. Having not been on her I don't know. If we get the opportunity some day we'll make up our own mind. This new class of ship has sure generated a lot of discussion, for & against her.

Allan

So true. The ship is beautiful in many ways. It's just that scenery enjoyment is probably my most important want from a ship, hence the importance of a good promenade. This ship would not be a good choice for me. Many others will truly enjoy her for other reasons, I am sure.:)

Edited by Tinknock50

Here are some photos for all of you ship geeks, such as myself, of the promenade.

Bulkhead cutouts near bow......

750251463496702_zps9qlet4p8.png

Some see this as "obstructed". I don't....

I don't either..... I posted it to show all the promenade pictures I could find to show the areas that were obstructed and those that aren't.:) (Note the aft picture I posted)

Very disappointed not to see mention of the Ocean Bar. We have loved past sailings were we could enjoy pre and post dinner dancing in the OB with a few musicians playing. Why HAL doesn't down size the BB Kings by just two musicians and add them to the one they are paying for in the OB is a mystery to us. Seems an easy way of distributing their expenses in a way that would offer another entertainment venue. We are looking seriously at returning to Cunard as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
Very disappointed not to see mention of the Ocean Bar. We have loved past sailings were we could enjoy pre and post dinner dancing in the OB with a few musicians playing. Why HAL doesn't down size the BB Kings by just two musicians and add them to the one they are paying for in the OB is a mystery to us. Seems an easy way of distributing their expenses in a way that would offer another entertainment venue. We are looking seriously at returning to Cunard as a result.

That makes no sense ... You can't just take two musicians out of an established band format! Why not just accept that ballroom dancing has probably had its day and try something new?

That makes no sense ... You can't just take two musicians out of an established band format! Why not just accept that ballroom dancing has probably had its day and try something new?

Because that isn't true; there are still many people who love having the opportunity to listen, and dance to, ballroom music.

Because HAL ought to be able to offer both.

Because the BB King band is too darned loud to be able to listen to, unless you are down the passageway several yards.

Because it takes nothing away from those who want to listen to the BB King group if there is also something for those with different tastes.

Because that isn't true; there are still many people who love having the opportunity to listen, and dance to, ballroom music.

Because HAL ought to be able to offer both.

Because the BB King band is too darned loud to be able to listen to, unless you are down the passageway several yards.

Because it takes nothing away from those who want to listen to the BB King group if there is also something for those with different tastes.

Thank you Ruth! You said it perfectly.

Thank you Ruth! You said it perfectly.

I remember the days (not all that long ago, either) that HAL had a variety of entertainment---for all tastes---going on after dinner.

Whatever style of music you wanted to hear, there was a lounge providing it. Something for everyone. We had classical, standards, country, disco, and whatever the passengers in the Piano Bar wanted.

And these venues were open into the night! The last bar closed down at 2:00 AM, with the majority of them shutting down the entertainment at midnight or 1:00 AM. A reason to stay out and play! (and purchase a drink or two).

Come out of the show, and there was music playing to draw you in.

But now? The classical music is closing up for the night as I come out of the dining room. No chance to enjoy them. The American Songbook area is gone, gone, gone; there's nothing in the Crow's Nest, and the Piano Bar is no more. Not that I like it, but where would I find a disco?

I've got three choices: too loud or too boring, or go to my cabin.

I remember the days (not all that long ago, either) that HAL had a variety of entertainment---for all tastes---going on after dinner. Whatever style of music you wanted to hear, there was a lounge providing it. Something for everyone. We had classical, standards, country, disco, and whatever the passengers in the Piano Bar wanted.

And these venues were open into the night! The last bar closed down at 2:00 AM, with the majority of them shutting down the entertainment at midnight or 1:00 AM. A reason to stay out and play! (and purchase a drink or two).

Come out of the show, and there was music playing to draw you in.

But now? The classical music is closing up for the night as I come out of the dining room. No chance to enjoy them. The American Songbook area is gone, gone, gone; there's nothing in the Crow's Nest, and the Piano Bar is no more. Not that I like it, but where would I find a disco?

I've got three choices: too loud or too boring, or go to my cabin.

I remembered enjoying the 3 piece combo in the Ocean Bar on three of the S class ships - people so enjoyed ballroom dancing there in the evening. Also on Noordam and NA. Adagio on all ships in the Explorers Lounge. And the wonderful piano bar on Noordam and NA. LOVED Jimmy Maddox on our Mediterranean/Transatlantic cruise. He is awesome. It's OK on the S Class ships but not a huge fan of the "newish" Mix. Then, there was always music in the Crow's Nest.

NOT a fan off BBKing. Too loud.

Point is, there was always something for everyone.

Less a matter of tastes, more a matter of "cutbacks".

Exactly. I must disagree with bicker (bUU). The only HAL cruise he has done was one we did mutually on the Noordam in '08. New York to the Caribbean. 20 foot seas out of New York and Noro once we hit the Caribbean. I could not forget him or that cruise...I organized the Cruise Critic M & G as I usually do on cruises.

My DH and I have done a dozen or so HAL cruises since then, one, two or 3 a year if you count B2B's. I have noticed the cutbacks with each cruise....and they are very obviously money-related.

IMO, HAL's passenger demographic is "steady as a rock"..an older demographic whose taste is consistent. HAL consistently tries to capture a younger demographic but I've never seen much success in that area.

On any and every cruise there are hundreds at the Mariners Lunch. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 star Mariners. If their taste had changed, wouldn't they jump ship? I suspect so. HAL is cutting costs...not changing because their passengers' tastes have changed. So far, not enough to cause a significant reduction in loyalty from their customer base.

Edited by innlady1

Exactly. I must disagree with bicker (bUU). The only HAL cruise he has done was one we did mutually on the Noordam in '08. New York to the Caribbean. 20 foot seas out of New York and Noro once we hit the Caribbean. I could not forget him or that cruise...I organized the Cruise Critic M & G as I usually do on cruises.

My DH and I have done a dozen or so HAL cruises since then, one, two or 3 a year if you count B2B's. I have noticed the cutbacks with each cruise....and they are very obviously money-related.

IMO, HAL's passenger demographic is "steady as a rock"..an older demographic whose taste is consistent. HAL consistently tries to capture a younger demographic but I've never seen much success in that area.

On any and every cruise there are hundreds at the Mariners Lunch. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 star Mariners. If their taste had changed, wouldn't they jump ship? I suspect so. HAL is cutting costs...not changing because their passengers' tastes have changed. So far, not enough to cause a significant reduction in loyalty from their customer base.

What maybe you don't realise or haven't seen is that there is a definite change in how the generation following you live their lives, spend their vacation time and what they enjoy. When my grandmother was 60 she enjoyed laid back music from her younger days and and tea dances but her daughter who is now 63 wants rock music and lively dancing ... Like it or not the tea dance generation will start to diminish and what then? Will HAL just cease to operate ? Not if it has any sense because it needs to attract a multigenerational clientele in order to survive and it needs to do it now.

As for the Mariners status ... I'm 3 star and I'm only 43 while my friend of the same age is 5 star so your assumption that all regular HAL clientele is the tea dance generation is flawed .

With the BB Kings ... I don't think it's too loud ...you know what they say "if it's too loud your too old " :p

What maybe you don't realise or haven't seen is that there is a definite change in how the generation following you live their lives, spend their vacation time and what they enjoy. When my grandmother was 60 she enjoyed laid back music from her younger days and and tea dances but her daughter who is now 63 wants rock music and lively dancing ... Like it or not the tea dance generation will start to diminish and what then? Will HAL just cease to operate ? Not if it has any sense because it needs to attract a multigenerational clientele in order to survive and it needs to do it now.

As for the Mariners status ... I'm 3 star and I'm only 43 while my friend of the same age is 5 star so your assumption that all regular HAL clientele is the tea dance generation is flawed .

With the BB Kings ... I don't think it's too loud ...you know what they say "if it's too loud your too old " :p

LOL...then I guess I'm too old! [emoji7]

But I'm not too old to learn new things. Please explain the "tea dance generation". I've never heard that before. Thank you for enlightening me.

Edited by innlady1

So, what you're saying is, people who don't want to go deaf are too old to cruise.

Got it. :rolleyes:

I have been a fan of ballroom dancing since my early 30s and now, in my 50s, I still love it. It seems odd that some think it is for older people only. In our city the university has a very large and active ballroom dance club and every dance we go to has a great range of ages. I have no idea how a "tea dance generation" fits this or what it means. Clearly there are still many who like to dance - not all tastes are the same and dancing is for everyone.

Still waiting on your explanation of tea dance generation. The only tea dances I've heard of in connection with HAL are those on gay charter cruises, RSVP for example.

My point here is and was this: HAL's cutbacks are primarily bottom line driven. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk