Refund or Credit?

scorchestra

Please go! I'm sure you will have a great time. It will not be the same, but 2 weeks is a good start on healing. I remember sitting on my balcony outside of Ketchikan, and watching the float planes land and take off. It was very relaxing and enjoyable, and probably not anything you could do at home. I hope your weather is good, as it will be harder to get around in the rain. Go!

Thank you for your responses and encouragement. We will go! No, it won't be the same. I love to walk and go for nice walks with my son and we won't be able to do that. But we can sit and watch Alaska and the beautiful scenery. It will also give my husband a break, because by then he will need it, since he will be the one doing all the cooking and cleaning now.

I'll think about getting a wheelchair to help out when we arrive at ports, so that I do not have to take a long walk.

Healing prayers, please! My name is Sonia.

Thank you for your responses and encouragement. We will go! No, it won't be the same. I love to walk and go for nice walks with my son and we won't be able to do that. But we can sit and watch Alaska and the beautiful scenery. It will also give my husband a break, because by then he will need it, since he will be the one doing all the cooking and cleaning now.

I'll think about getting a wheelchair to help out when we arrive at ports, so that I do not have to take a long walk.

Healing prayers, please! My name is Sonia.

We came back just over a month ago from a South Pacific cruise on the Solstice sailing from Sydney. My not good knee about a week before leaving got significantly worse. No danger for flying or risk to health just pain and discomfort.

We simply did not think of cancelling we just decided to make the most of it. We arranged wheelchairs for flights, chose only a couple of excursions with very little walking....As I could hobble and wanted to keep muscles working I didn't need a chair on board. We just stopped frequently on board for a sit down- those bars are nicely spaced!

In many ways this cruise was so special. We are normally so busy we don't find the time to 'stand and stare', we did on this cruise! Another cruise booked post op...still won't be very mobile but still expect to enjoy.

My sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery for yourself and your mother. Have a great cruise!

I'm so grateful to all of you here on CC for your wonderful advice and most of all for your encouragement.

I do like what you said about not getting chair to keep the muscles moving, but we may get one to have just in case we need one for ports if the dock is a long walk.

I'm the type of person who is always rushing and keeps everyone so busy on vacation that we come home exhausted. This will make us, as you said, stand and stare and enjoy.

I'll call the places where we have excursions set like the Skagway train and

"Deadliest Catch show and lumberjack show to see how long the walk is from the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Friends,

Remember me? Just an update here, my mother is fine, but I’m not. I broke my foot! I had a little accident; wrong floor, wrong shoes. My foot twisted and I felt a lot of pain and and actually heard a snap. After an X-ray it was determined that I broke my 5th metatarsal, it completely broke, not jut a fractu<script id="gpt-impl-0.8018487418646192" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_89.js"></script>re, but all the was thru.

Needles to say I’m in a lot of pain. Regardless of the break, the doctor said that he does not think that I will need surgery, so that is the good news. It should heal, he said it would be a bit unusual that it would not heal in someone healthy as I am (knock on wood). I am wearing a boot (soft cast) and am on crutches and still in a lot of pain, but hoping that the pain is a little less each day.

The Doctor said I could still go on the cruise, but not on any walks. As you all already know, I do no have trip insurance, so if I cancel I loose all the money. I am bummed about it because I was planning some nice hikes and I love to walk. I pictured myself walking around the town Ketchikan and enjoying the scenery.

Have any of you ever been in this situation? Any suggestions? Do you think I’ll still enjoy the cruise. We are supposed to leave in 2 weeks to Vancouver for a few nights before starting the cruise.

So sorry to hear of your broken foot. My husband broke his hip last year about 4 weeks prior to our Morocco & Canary Island Cruise. He did require surgery. We flew from Anchorage to Chicago to Ohio to Dubuque to Chicago to Barcelona & enjoyed our trip & cruise. He was on crutches the whole time. On occasion we over did it - but he still enjoyed himself. We did have travel insurance - but he wanted to still go on the trip.

On the Alaska Cruise - the cruise is amazingly beautiful. The glaciers, the scenery are fantastic. A great spot to watch the scenery from is the hot tub. You'll be warm & relaxed. You can get local transportation in all the ports and still enjoy yourself. That's the hardest part - if you are like us & are usually very active - we had to change our mindset on the trip. It's been a few years since I've been to Ketchikan - but there are definite alternatives to hiking.

Here's hoping your pain will subside and you'll truly be enjoying the celebratory trip!!!!!!

Hi! I went and I'm back. Trip report in progress here ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50213734#post50213734

OOP's - I just realized I was responding to an old post -- So happy to hear you had a FANTASTIC Trip!!!! From your trip report - it sounds like you'd be a family we'd love to meet on one of our cruises. Here's to further cruising in your future.

Hi! I went and I'm back. Trip report in progress here ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50213734#post50213734

Thanks for the follow-up. It would be frustrating for me to start to read the beginning of an epic tale and then to find out that the author was apparently kidnapped by aliens and disappeared and the story will never be completed. It is particularly satisfying that your tale has a happy ending.

I have enjoyed the first segment of your review. We'll be on "your" ship later this summer and am glad to see the ship and the sights through your eyes.

Hoping your recovery continues and that your mother's heart issues get sorted out...

Stan

Thanks for you reply, Stan! I am back at work now. I am completing my first work week, but still dreaming of the cruise! I'm a new cruise addict! : ))

I went to see my dr. who told me I'm in the cast one more month, but do not require surgery, so that is good news. I'll have physical therapy for 6 weeks.

My mother still has not had her angiogram because she is terrified of it. She is afraid of "what they will find" or of complications. Fear is a terrible thing and very debilitating. : (