DSC for happy cruisers

Except if you remove it he has to hand in any cash.

How does that get enforced? I've always paid my DSC but this time I've asked for it to be removed, I'd prefer to see that a certain person has definitely benefitted from my tips.

How does that get enforced? I've always paid my DSC but this time I've asked for it to be removed, I'd prefer to see that a certain person has definitely benefitted from my tips.

Why not leave the DSC alone & give that person a tip? That way you're sure they benefit without adversely impacting them or anyone else.

Why not leave the DSC alone & give that person a tip? That way you're sure they benefit without adversely impacting them or anyone else.

I don't really agree with it, it's a service charge yet I've not had any service yet. If the service I recieve is good then I'd happily pay but how can i pay for something that may not be as expected?

I don't really agree with it, it's a service charge yet I've not had any service yet. If the service I recieve is good then I'd happily pay but how can i pay for something that may not be as expected?

But you said in your previous post you already asked to have it removed. They post it daily so why not wait & see? You seem to have already decided you're not going to pay it which may adversely affect many crew members, not just the ones you deal with directly.

I shouldn't imagine $75 is going to affect anyone that much. I just think it's a bit much, the daily service charge, the 18% gratuities, extra tips plus I pay a solo supplement for my cabin.

It mounts up quite a lot, if I can I'd rather know where the money has gone.

I have left between $20 and $50 depending on the attentiveness.

I have never had a cabin steward I felt that did not go above and beyond the expected level of service as to not warrant a little extra.

And very myopically, you screw everyone else who work hard to make your overall cruise experience memorable.

Wrong

All Ncl crew get their same weekly salary regardless of you removing dsc or not

The ones that get extra cash in hand are the ones that deserve it as they provide personal interactive service and if you feel like giving it...

That would be the...

Waiters

Stewards

Bartenders

All other shipboard employees are getting a regular weekly/biweekly salary that does not change unless they get a raise. Lol

Do you really think the engine room crew or the pool crew or the laundry or back of the house kitchen staff get variable salaries?

Come on....remove dsc or leave it on...doesn't matter as the pay checks are remaining the same for the crew

Again those that should get extra cash for personal service will get it in the form of cash in hand from pax

And no I cant cite a link that proves the above except to say....common sense folks!!!!

If crew salary varied from cruise to cruise they would not be signing new contracts!!!

Common sense. Common sense

Where has it gone???

And....Ncl purposely makes dsc discretionary for many reasons...first and foremost...if they made it sound like it was actually paying crew salary versus "tips" or "extras" for the crew provided by pax ...then it becomes income to Ncl !!!

Edited by luvtheships

Except if you remove it he has to hand in any cash.

We always prepay tips wherever possible and give a but more to any individual that deserves it . Now I really don't know if this applies to NCL but on a recent Celebrity Cruise our dinner waiter told us that the amount he receives from the prepared gratuities was dependant on the score that was received from the post cruise passenger questionnaires for that Cruise. I asked that if I had not prepaid and gave him monies directly would he have to hand it in for pooling . His answer was a definite, No he would not have to hand it in.

To reiterate , that was on Celebrity not NCL even so I would have thought it very difficult to insist that an individual employee give up monies that have been given directs to them.

but how can i pay for something that may not be as expected?

Just curious....did you pay for the cruise?

What if it's not as expected?

Stephen

Just curious....did you pay for the cruise?

What if it's not as expected?

Stephen

Not exactly sure what you mean, I've booked a cruise which means I expect a big ship to be waiting in a port to take me to other places. If it's not there when it's supposed to be then I will complain.

I'm no longer going to be commenting on this matter, it's my decision what I spend my money on and whether I pay the DSC. I do not have to justify my decision to anyone.

As stated previously i wont answer as i dont need to justify myself. If anyone has their knickers in a twist about NCL being short of 75 dollars feel free to donate on my behalf 😅😅😅

Aw, man... what happened?!?

I'm no longer going to be commenting on this matter,

And....Ncl purposely makes dsc discretionary for many reasons...first and foremost...if they made it sound like it was actually paying crew salary versus "tips" or "extras" for the crew provided by pax ...then it becomes income to Ncl !!!

How do you figure this? US Corporations pay tax on net income not gross receipts.

If NCL pays Bob $10 in wages and $10 in tips on the paycheck and the tips are a "pass through" they are not an expense. It's a wash. They don't have to claim the specified tip as income, but they can't deduct it either.

Now let's say that NCL collects the tips via a DSC and distributes them. They probably accrue that amount in an account to be in conformity with GAAP and the US Tax Code, and then they distribute that amount as tips or benefits to the crew. In most cases that money would not be considered income ... but it isn't an expense either. So on the net taxable income line for the corporation it's a wash.

There is a tax advantage, though. Many of the crew are from countries where they do not tax tip income. Imagine having 50, 60, 70% of your income totally free from all income tax. That's why the crew doesn't want to lose their tips.

Employees are also judged by the comment cards we leave in the box at Guest Services.

Good comments from us can lead to promotions. Comments noting poor performance, might get some fired.

I've heard a couple of things when talking to crew members. Several have told me that three complaints and you are on a plane home (these were food servers).

We use the comment cards for exemplary service.

I've also heard that its a good idea to add an extra tip to a crew member via the service desk, on your account. They get the money directly and management knows they have been recognized not only with words, but with an extra tip. Does anyone know if this is true?

(Tips are not taxable for many of the crew members because of the tax laws in their home countries, so there's no "tax penalty" for them to collect tips this way).

As stated previously i wont answer as i dont need to justify myself. If anyone has their knickers in a twist about NCL being short of 75 dollars feel free to donate on my behalf 😅😅😅

a) you commented again after you said you wouldn't. :p

b) the notion of NCL being short $75 clearly shows you want to cancel DSC & pocket the money.... stiffing the hard-working crew.

I'm glad YOU think it's funny.

But you said in your previous post you already asked to have it removed. They post it daily so why not wait & see? You seem to have already decided you're not going to pay it which may adversely affect many crew members, not just the ones you deal with directly.[/QUOT

Ooops. Wrong quote

Edited by luddite

You will get service.

Pay your bills.

Wrong

All Ncl crew get their same weekly salary regardless of you removing dsc or not

The ones that get extra cash in hand are the ones that deserve it as they provide personal interactive service and if you feel like giving it...

That would be the...

Waiters

Stewards

Bartenders

All other shipboard employees are getting a regular weekly/biweekly salary that does not change unless they get a raise. Lol

Do you really think the engine room crew or the pool crew or the laundry or back of the house kitchen staff get variable salaries?

Come on....remove dsc or leave it on...doesn't matter as the pay checks are remaining the same for the crew

Again those that should get extra cash for personal service will get it in the form of cash in hand from pax

And no I cant cite a link that proves the above except to say....common sense folks!!!!

If crew salary varied from cruise to cruise they would not be signing new contracts!!!

Common sense. Common sense

Where has it gone???

Buy a clue. Please.

Buy a clue. Please.

Sorry but every single pax could remove the dsc in total and the crew is still getting their paycheck for the same amount

Would you take a job in the laundry room of Ncl if part of the deal was that you get paid as long as pax leave the dsc alone

However if they remove it your paycheck will be adjusted downward?

The crew gets paid regardless and even though they each have 11 mouths to feed back home and are grateful for the job that doesn't mean that Ncl pays them at whim based on wether or not pax remove dsc

The crew gets paid regardless!!

Btw just because I understand this does not mean I remove dsc

It means I'm a logical and realistic thinker and totally understand why Ncl has the dsc and exactly why Ncl uses the term discretionary and allows us to request a refund of it

You dont understand this just passing accounting 101 either

It takes much more business training and education than that and great knowledge of tax codes GAAP and GAAS

Edited by luvtheships

Sorry but every single pax could remove the dsc in total and the crew is still getting their paycheck for the same amount

You don't know that and, short of being in a contract with NCL, there is no way you could know that.

Would you take a job in the laundry room of Ncl if part of the deal was that you get paid as long as pax leave the dsc alone

However if they remove it your paycheck will be adjusted downward?

The crew gets paid regardless and even though they each have 11 mouths to feed back home and are grateful for the job that doesn't mean that Ncl pays them at whim based on wether or not pax remove dsc

The crew gets paid regardless!!

Btw just because I understand this does not mean I remove dsc

It means I'm a logical and realistic thinker and totally understand why Ncl has the dsc and exactly why Ncl uses the term discretionary and allows us to request a refund of it

You dont understand this just passing accounting 101 either

It takes much more business training and education than that and great knowledge of tax codes GAAP and GAAS

Seriously, you do not have a clue.