DSC for happy cruisers

Maybe America needs to change how it's service industry workers get paid?

I am sure the people on the low end of the scale would love it but those working for more upscale establishments might not. I know a fellow that makes $50k to $60 in tips working for a resort as a bellhop and I doubt his employer would be willing to pay that much.

I don't know if the crew gets paid the same amount regardless, but their income being contingent on DSC remaining on place isn't ridiculous; tip based income how a lot of people make a living.
I believe that they would only get the minimum salary that their contract says, if the DSC is not paid by most passengers, but they would get a higher salary taking into consideration the amount of DSC that is paid. In other words, the higher the dollar amount of the DSC collected, the higher that salary for each would be over and above their contractual rate.

As I've said before, no one know, except for NCL, how the DSC is distributed and what everyone is posting, including me, is their idea/opinion as to it. If someone has facts, please document them with the appropriate paperwork, so we can put this all to an end.

No idea if you are right or wrong about the DSC. But you do realize that every server and bartender in America is working with the understanding that they get paid only if they get tipped? True, the restaurant has to pay them minimum wage if they fail to average minimum wage through their shifts, but there were plenty of times I came in to work a lunch shift and left with $5-$10 in my pocket, just because of lack of business. I don't know if the crew gets paid the same amount regardless, but their income being contingent on DSC remaining on place isn't ridiculous; tip based income how a lot of people make a living.

Let's face it the real issue many Pax have with the dsc is not the idea of tipping but the fact that many dont trust Ncl to do right by their employees so that is why we also feel the need to tip the bartenders stewards and wait staff extra and in cash

I always tip wait staff 20% in land restaurants even if they are bad

I always tip the room steward extra in cash even though he is more than likely getting his fair share of dsc because he provides personal service

I rarely drink so no issue

I don't tip the wait staff extra on the ship at each meal but here I do trust Ncl to pay them their portion of dsc because every pax the wait staff serves gets logged in plus I've seen maybe 3 pax in my entire cruising career leave cash on the mdr table or even hand it to waiter in the mdr after each and every meal. The old days of envelope tipping notwithstanding

I'm not in the habit of tipping my dry cleaner as I pay for my dry cleaning and he pays his employees

I'm not in the habit of tipping the city worker who cleans our streets in the middle of the night because I pay my property taxes and the city pays them

I'm not in the habit of tipping the engine room crew because I pay Ncl for my cruise and Ncl should be paying them a salary from that

The dsc irks so many for 2 major reasons IMHO

1. Even though it's discretionary it's almost sacrilegious to remove it

2. It apparantly goes to people who we would never even consider tipping on dry land because those people should be getting a salary

Do you tip the guy digging ditches on the side of the road who works for a contractor?

If not then you shouldn't need to tip the guy maintaining the ships engines

If you think think you should be tipping these people well then are you in the market for a bridge? Lol

I'm not in the habit of tipping my dry cleaner as I pay for my dry cleaning and he pays his employees

I'm not in the habit of tipping the city worker who cleans our streets in the middle of the night because I pay my property taxes and the city pays them

I'm not in the habit of tipping the engine room crew because I pay Ncl for my cruise and Ncl should be paying them a salary from that

The positions/jobs that you are not in the habit of tipping are not in a job/position that depends on tips for their salary......there is a big difference.

Not sacrilegious if you have a reason, such as an issue that was not corrected.

2. It apparantly goes to people who we would never even consider tipping on dry land because those people should be getting a salary

These positions are designated by NCL as a tipped position - their cruise line, their rules.

Do you tip the guy digging ditches on the side of the road who works for a contractor? No, because he does not work in a tipped position, he works in a salaried position.

If not then you shouldn't need to tip the guy maintaining the ships engines Do you know for fact that the guy maintaining the ships engines is a tipped position or a salaried position for NCL?

If you think think you should be tipping these people well then are you in the market for a bridge? Lol

Please supply us a list of all of those on NCL that are receiving a portion of the DSC, since you believe that we are tipping the guy maintaining the ships engines, you seem to know the list.

Let's face it the real issue many Pax have with the dsc is not the idea of tipping but the fact that many dont trust Ncl to do right by their employees so that is why we also feel the need to tip the bartenders stewards and wait staff extra and in cash

I always tip wait staff 20% in land restaurants even if they are bad

I always tip the room steward extra in cash even though he is more than likely getting his fair share of dsc because he provides personal service

I rarely drink so no issue

I don't tip the wait staff extra on the ship at each meal but here I do trust Ncl to pay them their portion of dsc because every pax the wait staff serves gets logged in plus I've seen maybe 3 pax in my entire cruising career leave cash on the mdr table or even hand it to waiter in the mdr after each and every meal. The old days of envelope tipping notwithstanding

Do you tip the guy digging ditches on the side of the road who works for a contractor?

If not then you shouldn't need to tip the guy maintaining the ships engines

I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe that the service charges aren't distributed in the same manner that other cruise lines distribute tips (stewards and their assistants, waitstaff and their assitants, a small amount to those providing services to all passengers such as working in the buffet). The service charge does not stretch as many think it does.

I feel no compulsion to tip over and above the service charge but will do so if the person in question goes above and beyond (as I defined it up thread).

I have no objections to paying the DSC, I just think it's too much to then have to tip and pay 18% gratuities as well.

I have paid the DSC on my last two cruises as well as tipping as i go and I've ended up spending too much. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Easiest thing would be to pay the DSC and just stop tipping as you go...that is over and above what is necessary. Some do it, maybe most, but you don't have to and then you would not be paying more than you feel you want to pay.

Problem solved.

Easiest thing would be to pay the DSC and just stop tipping as you go...that is over and above what is necessary. Some do it, maybe most, but you don't have to and then you would not be paying more than you feel you want to pay.

Problem solved.

I think that poster is probably referring to the dsc portion that goes to wait staff and thus when paying dsc and also having to pay 18% on sdp that is double tipping with regard to the dining portion of the dsc and yes I know all about the buffet staff and dishwashers but honestly it is gouging to charge dsc which includes mdr and to also charge dsc at the specialties

The dsc should cover all food venues and servers especially if the sdp is NOT a freebie

Possibly also with the drinks as well even with the ubp but I won't go there as I know how important it is for pax to have a bartender know them by name and favorite drink....but that can be accomplished by giving them a few bucks and really doesn't require the 18% to be added

So IMHO I would guess that pax paying the 18% on drinks or on the udp also throw a buck or 2down so they are double tipping even though it's their own choice

Edited by luvtheships

I can't believe what I'm reading here. It's not our business what the contract the workers sign says. A tip is an acknowledgement of a job well done. The DSC, in my opinion, doesn't begin to compensate the stewards for what they do for YOU!!. Skip three or four drinks over the course of a one week cruise and slip your guy or gal a $50.00. They deserve it and you know it!

I can't believe what I'm reading here. It's not our business what the contract the workers sign says. A tip is an acknowledgement of a job well done. The DSC, in my opinion, doesn't begin to compensate the stewards for what they do for YOU!!. Skip three or four drinks over the course of a one week cruise and slip your guy or gal a $50.00. They deserve it and you know it!

Are you saying $50 in addition to the dsc?

Fwiw I keep dsc in place and give $20 for 2 of us at the end. $30 if we are a triple per cabin

If ncl did away with the dsc I would be inclined to give more and to tip wait staff as I do not tip any wait staff in the mdr when we do freestyle on ncl however I do when we sail a traditional line in addition to that lines dsc

Why? Because traditional dining wait staff on princess takes better care of you than mdr freestyle staff on ncl

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

If ncl did away with the dsc I would be inclined to give more and to tip wait staff as I do not tip any wait staff in the mdr when we do freestyle on ncl however I do when we sail a traditional line in addition to that lines dsc

You might, but you have to remember that all cruise lines had what you want and that didn't work. Dining rooms were 1/2 empty the last night, because people didn't want to tip and Cabin Stewards were avoided so the passenger didn't have to tip them. It is unfortunate, but because of those type of folks most cruise lines went to the DSC, automatic gratuities, etc.

Problem solved.

Let's all go to European ports where the service charge/gratuity is automatically included on every bill,,,,,,,

Like NCL

Edited by BirdTravels