Santorini

Jarvijt

Been reading lots of threads and could do with some advice. We are arriving on reflection in late August. I've read about the huge queues at the cable car. I refuse to take a donkey - I'd probably end up carrying it and don't fancy walking in the heat. Does anyone know any other way we could get to Oia or Fira? Thanks

Whether or not there are lines depends on how many ships there are, and when you get there. Yes, there can be a rush/crowd, but there are variables. We were the first of 3 ships in the day we were there. Going up the line might have been 20 people. Coming back there was actually very little line, midafternoon.

A little reading on the board also shows the ferry to Oia. As we haven't used it, we can't recommend it. But it answers your question. The only other option is a ship's excursion, which only leaves you with any "returning to the ship" line.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Just an update on the so-called ferry to Oia. We were in Santorini, last month and the private boat/ferry does exist....maybe :). We were going to take the ferry boat and the 20€ price was OK since it included the ferry ride, bus up to Oia and the bus fare from Oia back to Fira. However, the boat operator refused to give us a firm time that the ferry would leave Fira. He said it depended on how long it would take to get at least 10 passengers (we are not even sure this was true). So we took the cable car up and later took the inexpensive bus to Oia. A friend who waited for the ferry waited for over an hour and then the operator said that since they could not get enough customers they were not going to run the ferry that day. A real bummer for our friend who never did get to Oia.

So my advice is do not commit to the ferry until you feel certain they are actually going to do the deed. On a crowded day this is probably less of a problem....but do consider that the operator apparently runs the boat when he pleases and not on a fixed schedule.

Hank

Hi Hank - do you know how often the bus to Oia runs? and what was the fare? how long did it take to get to Oia? thanks in advance...

When we were last there, the bus ran hourly. It cost a couple of euros. Takes 30 or 40 minutes.

When I was there two years ago there was over an hour long wait in the afternoon for people wanting to take the cable car down -- many standing out in the hot sun. So glad we walked down. Check to see how many ships are in port the day you are.

IMHO Santorini is an excellent candidate for a cruiseline excursion. The tenders go to a bus access point so you avoid the cable car up. Going down usually isn't the problem going up is.

I have seen very long lines going down as well. As pointed out, it is very dependent on the number of ships in port that day.

When I was there two years ago there was over an hour long wait in the afternoon for people wanting to take the cable car down -- many standing out in the hot sun. So glad we walked down. Check to see how many ships are in port the day you are.

What is the site to see about ships in port the same day as we are??

Hi Hank - do you know how often the bus to Oia runs? and what was the fare? how long did it take to get to Oia? thanks in advance...

Last month they were running one bus per hour (it left Fira around 10 min before the hour). But in the early afternoon they cancelled one return bus (from Oia) which left a few spending more time in Oia then they had planned. The fare was inexpensive (I recall about 2 Euros one way) and you pay onboard the bus. In the past we do not recall them adding extra buses on the busy days (we were there very early in the season and our 610 passengers represented the only ship at the island).

In the high season with multiple ships (especially if they are large ships) we prefer to rent a car. The buses between Oia and Fira can become very crowded (including packed standing passengers). And a car lets us do multiple things such as visiting both Oia and Red Beach (opposite ends of the island) on a port day (assuming a full day in port).

Hank

Here is the website that lists which ships are in port. I am on the same cruise as the poster and there will be 3 ships in port the day we are in Santorini: Windstar, Costa Deliziosa and the Celebrity Reflection.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Greece/805-Santorini_Island/August_2016/

Edited by Boscodog

Here is the website that lists which ships are in port. I am on the same cruise as the poster and there will be 3 ships in port the day we are in Santorini: Windstar, Costa Deliziosa and the Celebrity Reflection.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Greece/805-Santorini_Island/August_2016/

None of the websites that accumulate the info are totally accurate- they frequently miss non- US oriented ships and smaller ships.

The far more accurate info comes from the port website.

We just got back from our cruise and visited Santorini. To get from Fira port to Oia we used the speedboat. Waited for it to go for about 20minutes. The price is 20 euros (speedboat to Oia, bus from port to Oia, Bus from Oia to Fira and the cable car down). We arrived to Oia at around 11am, and the bus to Fira was scheduled for noon, 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock. The line to the cable car down wasn't lon, but I guess it all depends on the number od ships in port. Don't try to get down at the last minute.

If we take the boat to Fira, can we stay in Oia as long as we want and take whichever bus we would like or are you scheduled on a particular bus to come back with an hour or so in Oia. We would like to stay longer and have flexibility to leave whenever we would like.

We could stay until 2 o'clock. You can choose the bus you want. I think they make schedule depending on the ships in port. You will have more time if you get off the ship earlier.

How was the walk down? - our 14 day cruise has two days in Santorini (Kusadasi was cancelled) - the second day we booked an independent excursion that returns to Fira at 8:30 PM and we have to be back on the ship at 10 PM - our ship and one other are scheduled to be in port that late. Do a lot of people walk it if the cable car lines are long? Not sure if we should cancel and find something coming back earlier or cut the tour short and return via taxi.

Edited by Tricialy

Well we have done it twice (both up and down) and will do it again on our June cruise. I would say that if you are reasonably fit and have the proper shoes you will be fine. Do be aware that you share the path with the donkeys and sometime they want to nudge into you. That does not bother me - I just give them a light smack on the side and they move back. And no, surprisingly while there are a number of other walkers I would definitely say we are in the minority. To my DH ( who is substantially older than me) and me we look it as a little bit of exercise. Also we just don't have the patience to wait in line. And I cannot state this often enough the wait time will be tied to how many ships are in port with you. You have such a long day in port that if you don't want to walk you have plenty of time to wait. Furthermore few of the ships are still there after 6PM so that will work in your favor as well.

As I recall it took us on the order of 15-20 minutes. It is not so much difficult -- i.e. not that steep or that long-- it is more a matter of just watching where you walk and being aware of the donkeys and the little gifts they leave behind on the path. As a result in some spots the path can be a little slippery so I strongly suggest shoes with a little tred -- and my preference is sneakers over an open sandal. But I love walking up and taking photos along the way.