Inspecting carry on bags.

I am wondering if the cruise lines actually inspect our Handbags and carry on bags at all? I need to take a special power outlet tower with me so I can charge my phone, as I don't have a normal cord for it, I lost it:rolleyes:, lol. I am worried they will confiscate my tower and it cost me a fair bit, so I don't want them to lose it!

I am wondering if the cruise lines actually inspect our Handbags and carry on bags at all? I need to take a special power outlet tower with me so I can charge my phone, as I don't have a normal cord for it, I lost it:rolleyes:, lol. I am worried they will confiscate my tower and it cost me a fair bit, so I don't want them to lose it!

If it's on the no list, it will be confiscated.

All of your carry on and check luggage will go through X-ray. If your outlet tower has a surge protector, which is on the prohibited item list, it certainly can and likely will be confiscated.

If the cruise you are referring to is the one listed in your countdown clock I think you have time to replace your charger. If the "special" tower is something "else" you have time to rethink taking it along.

Have a great, memory making cruise.

Where do you find the "no" list?

On Carnival's website. Near the bottom you will find FAQ. Search for prohibited items and you will find a list of restricted and prohibited items.

Edited by springs741

Where do you find the "no" list?

Easiest way to say it is if it's surge protected, it isn't allowed. Yes they inspect your bags both by X-Ray and if they see something suspicious, by hand. If it is a restricted item it will be confiscated.

You can find the prohibited items list here: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/restricted-items-list

Check on Amazon for a new charging cord for your phone. Recently, I needed a replacement and found one much cheaper that works just fine. It was in within 5 days.

I imagine it'd be cheaper than replacing the power outlet tower. :)

Its a special outlet tower I bought from "Innovations", it has USB ports for charging your Iphones and normal powerpoints for normal electrical stuff like fans and laptops and what not! I was also wanting it for my small fan as I cannot sleep without my fan noise, otherwise I'll go crazy, and I don't think they want a crazy person going mad at night on the ship, lol. I could buy a plug for my iphone, I just haven't had to up until we go on the cruise I suppose.

They actually check the carryon totes. :) As a gift I'd been given a fancy night-light that folds up and clamps on the top of your book - very high tech looking.

The had me get it out so they could see what it was. I, of course, could keep it but they did check.

Its a special outlet tower I bought from "Innovations", it has USB ports for charging your Iphones and normal powerpoints for normal electrical stuff like fans and laptops and what not! I was also wanting it for my small fan as I cannot sleep without my fan noise, otherwise I'll go crazy, and I don't think they want a crazy person going mad at night on the ship, lol. I could buy a plug for my iphone, I just haven't had to up until we go on the cruise I suppose.

Glad I am not on your cruise :eek:

(You are allowed to bring an extension cord without a surge protector)

Edited by lizardhowson

Sounds like you should abandon this tower idea. Too many plug ins for one plug on a ship.

I think that you will have more luck in the check on then in the carry on. I had a three prong adapter confiscated (by Celebrity) for absolutely no reason from my carry on. If you want to avoid a possible hassle, pick up something allowed. Have fun!!

There is a very extensive thread on here regarding power strips/outlet extenders/extension cords. I would suggest searching for that. There is some excellent information on there regarding why surge protectors are not allowed as well as some information about excellent products that are allowable. I think you would be able to find a suitable substitute for charging your devices as well as providing extra outlets. I, personally, just use a power strip without a surge protector and plug everything into that, using the "wall" charger for iPhones and iPads.

I think that you will have more luck in the check on then in the carry on. I had a three prong adapter confiscated (by Celebrity) for absolutely no reason from my carry on. If you want to avoid a possible hassle, pick up something allowed. Have fun!!

Nope. They will either take it or keep your bag and make you come down to the naughty room to give it to them. Just don't bring anything that is a safety hazard and you have nothing to worry about. Bring it in your carry on.

Do you have one of these?

http://www.innovations.com.au/p/home/home-office/vertical-socket-tower

If so, no, that's not allowed on the ship. Their specifications are weak, but watching the video it mentions it has surge protection. Surge protected power strips are not allowed. They are a very real fire hazard when connect to a ship's power system. Even if you manage to get through the inspections without it getting found, that doesn't change the fact its a fire hazard. The other thread linked earlier has detailed explanations of why surge protect power strips are a hazard with ship power systems.

Do you have one of these?

http://www.innovations.com.au/p/home/home-office/vertical-socket-tower

If so, no, that's not allowed on the ship. Their specifications are weak, but watching the video it mentions it has surge protection. Surge protected power strips are not allowed. They are a very real fire hazard when connect to a ship's power system. Even if you manage to get through the inspections without it getting found, that doesn't change the fact its a fire hazard. The other thread linked earlier has detailed explanations of why surge protect power strips are a hazard with ship power systems.

Not what I have, mine is only USB

if you provide us with a model number we can provide more details