Inspecting carry on bags.

I would just get one of these. It's only $2 and free shipping. Then you won't have to worry about it and will have less to pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1A-USB-AC-Home-Wall-Power-Charger-Adapter-US-Plug-For-iPhone-5-4-iPod-Touch-Nano-/321620392721?hash=item4ae211bb11:g:8kAAAOSwEK9UGigG

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After all this discussion, I did some more investigating on various devices. Ones that have only USB sockets generally do not have surge protection. Ones that do have AC sockets generally do. The USB only ones are essentially chargers. For travel I carry one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M

Dead simple, no surge protection. I have multi-port chargers. One for me with cords for my phone and kindle, one for the Mrs. with phone, kindle, and iPod cords, plus spare chargers and cords. And a small battery. Overkill, but I've been in situations where I didn't have a cord or charger and its a pain. I keep this whole kit together for travel only.

After all this discussion, I did some more investigating on various devices. Ones that have only USB sockets generally do not have surge protection. Ones that do have AC sockets generally do. The USB only ones are essentially chargers.

Unfortunately this is not true. There are plenty of USB only sockets that are surge protected. There were some listed in the previous threads discussing this topic.

Wheatie59, that is the exact thing, its very very handy, I bought it for my hospital stay last year. I will have a look at that thread someone mentioned about the power strips and such that we can bring on, thanks everyone for the tips and information.:)

If you stay in any large hotel they usually have a large box of "left behind" chargers for almost any kind of electronic device out there and will give you one of theirs for free.

About two years ago we spent two nights at an Embassy Suites and they must have had app. 250 cords/chargers in their box.

I am wondering if the cruise lines actually inspect our Handbags and carry on bags at all? I need to take a special power outlet tower with me so I can charge my phone, as I don't have a normal cord for it, I lost it:rolleyes:, lol. I am worried they will confiscate my tower and it cost me a fair bit, so I don't want them to lose it!

I don't want to lose my rum runners or fan. Put locks on and all is good.

Hog Rider, you do realize that the cruise lines, just as do the airlines, have the legal right to cut those locks off in order to inspect your bags?

Actually, Dan, no they don't! They are not a federal agency, just a private company, so they have no legal rights whatsoever as far as opening luggage is concerned.

However, they DO have the right to request that you open them and refuse to allow any banned items on the ship or, if you refuse, deny boarding.

Any other 'rights' are whatever has been agreed to in the T&Cs. which basically need approval from the courts to enforce.

I have also had a very small, new-in-the box fan confiscated from my carry on... not to stir the pot, but they can (and should) confiscate anything that they deem a danger...

Edited by BrownCalico

Actually, Dan, no they don't! They are not a federal agency, just a private company, so they have no legal rights whatsoever as far as opening luggage is concerned.

However, they DO have the right to request that you open them and refuse to allow any banned items on the ship or, if you refuse, deny boarding.

Any other 'rights' are whatever has been agreed to in the T&Cs. which basically need approval from the courts to enforce.

Splitting hairs on what constitutes a "legal right." While they do not have the right to search your bag based on any law, they do have a right to search based on contract. The right to search "with our without notice" is included in the cruise contract.

No "court approval" is needed to conduct the search. I would anticipate that standard procedure is to call you down and ask for you to open your bag. That gives it some level of "consent." But, that is not required. You have already consented to the search "with or without notice."

By the way, the government is far more constrained on what it can and cannot search than a private company. For example, in many situations, a governmental entity would be required to get a warrant, or have probable cause to search your bags. A private company can do it on mere suspicion (or just because they want to). That whole 4th Amendment thing does not apply to private companies acting in a private capacity pursuant to a private contract with a private individual.

Edited by Pops, Esq.

Splitting hairs on what constitutes a "legal right." While they do not have the right to search your bag based on any law, they do have a right to search based on contract. The right to search "with our without notice" is included in the cruise contract.

...which, I believe, I covered in the sentence...

Any other 'rights' are whatever has been agreed to in the T&Cs.

No "court approval" is needed to conduct the search. I would anticipate that standard procedure is to call you down and ask for you to open your bag. That gives it some level of "consent." But, that is not required. You have already consented to the search "with or without notice."

By the way, the government is far more constrained on what it can and cannot search than a private company. For example, in many situations, a governmental entity would be required to get a warrant, or have probable cause to search your bags. A private company can do it on mere suspicion (or just because they want to). That whole 4th Amendment thing does not apply to private companies acting in a private capacity pursuant to a private contract with a private individual.

I would vehemently disagree with this statement! The TSA and customs have the legal right to search and detain if it wants, without even giving a reason, no warrant needed! They have far more powers than the police or FBI. It's actually frightening what they can do.

Private companies must comply with the law. In fact, they can be found to be excessive even if it's stated in the cruise contract, although this would be rare.

I know we're splitting hairs and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I do happen to know a little about it.

I'm still confused as to why the outlet extenders can't have surge protectors on them. I always take my mini belkin and it has a surge protector on it and have had no problems. The way I read the rules is only extension cords can't have surge protectors....

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

619npNbFQZL._SL1500_.jpg.e29e8790e362321ad9c363b1b81df4ee.jpg

Edited by jdemps

I hope they inspect carefully each and every bag. There are a lot of nuts out there.

It long recognized law that a ship's captain has ultimate control of the ship and has broad powers to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew. The cruise contract clearly states that all staterooms, safes, bags, and passengers can be search with for without notice.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I'm still confused as to why the outlet extenders can't have surge protectors on them. I always take my mini belkin and it has a surge protector on it and have had no problems. The way I read the rules is only extension cords can't have surge protectors....

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Here is one of the many threads on this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347868

It seems my post wasn't posted up regarding fans and extended plugs.

This is what is scaring me about the trip, that I can't have a fan with me, I can only sleep with fan noise, otherwise, no sleep for me, I get anxious and start panicking when I don't have a fan at night, I know, it sounds weird, but thats just me, I've had to have fans since I was a little girl. I'm wondering if I ring Carnival themselves and ask about regulations about fans and cords, maybe they would tell me? I did read one response to a thread that the couple had a fan and cord waiting for them in their cabin as they couldn't take their own, I think the husband had to use oxygen to breathe?

Its a special outlet tower I bought from "Innovations", it has USB ports for charging your Iphones and normal powerpoints for normal electrical stuff like fans and laptops and what not! I was also wanting it for my small fan as I cannot sleep without my fan noise, otherwise I'll go crazy, and I don't think they want a crazy person going mad at night on the ship, lol. I could buy a plug for my iphone, I just haven't had to up until we go on the cruise I suppose.

I have an outlet like you describe. It plugs into a socket, has 2 electrical outlets and 3 USB ports. Our room steward would have confiscated it if he felt it was a hazard and I do think it has a surge protector on it. Have taken it on 3 cruises so far. If they take your tower, they'll return it at the end of the cruise. I don't know about the fan - they may confiscate that. Long ago we had to take a trip down to the naughty room. In a big canvas bin I saw percolators, coffee markers, a waffle iron, and an electric skillet in the bin. I was totally amazed what people try to bring on board!:eek:

I'm still confused as to why the outlet extenders can't have surge protectors on them.

Short answer, from reading those other threads, is that the ships power is relatively dirty compared to power company power. Lots of little surges. Those little surges cause the device that's doing the surge protection to degrade slowly, rather than all at once like it does when it protects against a big surge. As it degrades, it gets hot. Worst case, it catches on fire.

Read the linked thread for much more details.

I'm sure I'll get corrected if I've mis-characterized what's going on.

I have an outlet like you describe. It plugs into a socket, has 2 electrical outlets and 3 USB ports. Our room steward would have confiscated it if he felt it was a hazard and I do think it has a surge protector on it. Have taken it on 3 cruises so far. If they take your tower, they'll return it at the end of the cruise. I don't know about the fan - they may confiscate that. Long ago we had to take a trip down to the naughty room. In a big canvas bin I saw percolators, coffee markers, a waffle iron, and an electric skillet in the bin. I was totally amazed what people try to bring on board!:eek:

Please do not use this again. It is a fire hazard and if you know it is surge protected, then get something else that is safe. Your room steward might not know if it is a surge protector or not as sometimes it doesn't say on them but it does on the packaging. They can't keep up with every single type of device out there.

It is not your room steward's job to police your electronics. The rules say you shouldn't have a surge protector. Whether you (or I) understand the "why", it's a rule. If your outlet has a surge protector, please look into getting one that does not.

After all this discussion, I did some more investigating on various devices. Ones that have only USB sockets generally do not have surge protection. Ones that do have AC sockets generally do. The USB only ones are essentially chargers. For travel I carry one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M

We carry this one also. This past cruise on the Sunshine out of Port Canaveral, the carry-on screener asked to open our bag for inspection. Apparently it looked suspicious on the X-ray display.

He found the item he had seen on his screen which was the item you referenced and said 'No problem. This is OK.'

No surge protection on this device.

They tried to take my little fan away from me on our last trip (RCCL). I begged and pleaded' date=' it really is medically necessary. :)[/quote']

If you need the wind from the fan that's a separate issue.

If it's just the noise of the fan there is an app available on the App Store called "White Noise" that offers a number of soothing sounds, one of which is very similar to an old fashioned, rotating table or pedestal fan.

Download that to your phone or tablet and you're good to go.

Hope this helps! :)

...which, I believe, I covered in the sentence...

I would vehemently disagree with this statement! The TSA and customs have the legal right to search and detain if it wants, without even giving a reason, no warrant needed! They have far more powers than the police or FBI. It's actually frightening what they can do.

Private companies must comply with the law. In fact, they can be found to be excessive even if it's stated in the cruise contract, although this would be rare.

I know we're splitting hairs and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I do happen to know a little about it.

Section 4 (f) of the Carnival Cruise Contract pretty much gives them the right to inspect your baggage and carry on items any time they want to and to do whatever damage to your luggage (cutting off locks, etc) in order to do that.

All the cruise contracts are pretty much "one way" in favor of the cruise companies in general.