Specialty Restaurants - Prices Going UP

vickie_bernie

The price increase is understandable to me however recent experiences (including on the Crown in mid-April) have not been up to previous standards. Our filet mignon was no longer exceptionally tasty & tender (NY Strip in MDR was better) and the overworked waitstaff had too many tables to serve resulting in a decline in service.

Our recent experience was similar to our other cruises in the past year & thus I don't attribute it to one bad experience. In past years there was never a reason to request another steak but based on my recent CG experiences it's doubtful to me if another steak would have been any better.

Taste is subjective but mine (and the opinions of friends we encouraged to join us for an exceptional CG dining experience) feel the quality & service have declined to the point where we'll no longer pay the extra fee for the CG: higher cost + reduced dining experience = no CG on my cruises.

The Sabatini's entrées are not great to me nor are the SHARE or Salty Dog menus so looks like I'll be saving money by no longer going to specialty restaurants. ;)

I know that other passengers will feel differently & also that the Princess specialty restaurants are less expensive but it's gotten to the point where we'll now skip them on future cruises.

Maybe all of the specialty restaurant fees ending in nine ($19, $29 & $39) will result in passengers like me saying in German nein to paying for future Princess specialty restaurants. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just off Ruby too. At first, couldn't get reservations at all at Crown Grill OR, alternatively, Share, for my husband's birthday. Dining staff cited the Princess corporate event on board. Miracle of miracles, they called me back and offered a 9 pm reservation at Crown. We went and loved it (grilled lobster and a perfectly cooked filet)

We ate at Share earlier this year on Emerald and have decided not to go again. Doesn't FEEL intimate or special. Spartan ambience with uncomfortable seats. I liked the food but not worth the $39pp upcharge imho.

Also was able to get a 9 pm reservation at Salty Dog. The food was fine (yes, the hamburger was great). BUT, it was a full 45 minutes between ordering and getting the food! And with only high top tables and loud, drinking dancers all around, not a great location for a conversational dinner. So, again, once was enough

We like the food in the MDR. And will splurge for the Chef's Dinner but never again for Share or Salty Dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess Princess is just trying to charge the same for all there specialty restaurants. My guess is Princess will keep going up on there prices as long as you are willing to pay more.

Tony

I've seen some pax eat like it's their last meal. I think that's one reason they raise prices.

The price increase is understandable to me however recent experiences (including on the Crown in mid-April) have not been up to previous standards. Our filet mignon was no longer exceptionally tasty & tender (NY Strip in MDR was better) and the overworked waitstaff had too many tables to serve resulting in a decline in service.

Our recent experience was similar to our other cruises in the past year & thus I don't attribute it to one bad experience. In past years there was never a reason to request another steak but based on my recent CG experiences it's doubtful to me if another steak would have been any better.

Taste is subjective but mine (and the opinions of friends we encouraged to join us for an exceptional CG dining experience) feel the quality & service have declined to the point where we'll no longer pay the extra fee for the CG: higher cost + reduced dining experience = no CG on my cruises.

The Sabatini's entrées are not great to me nor are the SHARE or Salty Dog menus so looks like I'll be saving money by no longer going to specialty restaurants. ;)

I know that other passengers will feel differently & also that the Princess specialty restaurants are less expensive but it's gotten to the point where we'll now skip them on future cruises.

Maybe all of the specialty restaurant fees ending in nine ($19, $29 & $39) will result in passengers like me saying in German nein to paying for future Princess specialty restaurants. :p

Quality costs more. A reason Celebrity's specialty rest. cost so much more. Their quality in steaks is far superior to Princess. I had 3 filet mignon in Sabatini's/Crown Grill. They weren't even up to "select" quality. Not terrible, but not better than say Applebee's, either. The ambience is nice, but I like really good steak & this wasn't it.

Quality costs more. A reason Celebrity's specialty rest. cost so much more. Their quality in steaks is far superior to Princess. I had 3 filet mignon in Sabatini's/Crown Grill. They weren't even up to "select" quality. Not terrible, but not better than say Applebee's, either. The ambience is nice, but I like really good steak & this wasn't it.

Absolutely!

In past years I was very happy with the steak & possibly Princess allowed the quality to decline when they should have increased the price to maintain the prior quality of steak. With the recent slight price increase I was hoping that a consistent steak quality would return to Princess however it didn't improve for us at the CG since the price increased to $29. :(

It may not be as good as on Celebrity however I think the CG is considerably less expensive? I've been a big fan of the CG but unfortunately recent experiences have been so disappointing that we won't go again.

Ending in nine. SHARE is 39. CG/Sab is 29. Crab Shack is 29. Salty Dog is 19. What's the deal with that? LOL.

This is a marketing ploy, by making the price $39 people are seeing just the 3 and if they where to up the price $1 then you would see a 4. This a marketing trick that has been around for at least a century (way longer than me). It tricks you in to thinking your getting a deal ie; $3.99 vs. $4.00. It does work (maybe not on everyone) because my wife will ask what something cost and I would say $3 then she will see the price and say $3.99 why not just say $4??? In a nut shell that is the answer to your question.

They could lower the price of Sabatini's to $9.99 and I wouldn't eat there again. CG is fine and I'm willing to pay extra to eat there. I'm sure the steaks were cooked perfectly when the corporate folks were on board.

Yes, but there are ALWAYS steep discounts. We never got a discount under 25%

Steep discounts available to everyone without having to ask or constantly walk by or stalk those seeking patrons for the specific venue?? No offense but I'm sure you have your tricks to getting a discount however one shouldn't have to

Having eaten in SHARE twice last week, the salty dog, and Crown Grill, I can safely say I will not be going back to Crown Grill.

SHARE was more than worth the money and left both times feeling very full. Will certainly be going again in August. Salty Dog was great, far too much food, but cooked to perfection and great value at $19.

Does not bother me. There is nothing wrong with the food in the main dining room.

When you are at home would you eat at McDonalds every night? how about KFC? probably not and I can safely say that the main dining room food on Princess ships is 100 times better than the garbage I just mentioned.

So if the main dining room food is better than your average street fast food outlet there is nothing wrong with it and I can see no reason why I would want to eat at a specialty restaurant when you have a top quality restaurant already.

Does not bother me. There is nothing wrong with the food in the main dining room.

When you are at home would you eat at McDonalds every night? how about KFC? probably not and I can safely say that the main dining room food on Princess ships is 100 times better than the garbage I just mentioned.

So if the main dining room food is better than your average street fast food outlet there is nothing wrong with it and I can see no reason why I would want to eat at a specialty restaurant when you have a top quality restaurant already.

It's nice to have the choice. I agree there was nothing wrong with MDR food last week on Emerald but it was nice to eat in different places and just occasionally it is good to go to a specialty dining for something special or to celebrate an event. And yes, there are some people in the world who only eat fast food.

Steep discounts available to everyone without having to ask or constantly walk by or stalk those seeking patrons for the specific venue?? No offense but I'm sure you have your tricks to getting a discount however one shouldn't have to

We were asked upon boarding last week if we wanted to buy a package. I said it depended on the price. We got 2 x Tuscan and 1 x Ocean Liners for $100 pp. We could have had 2 and 2 for $120 but thought 4 nights might be too much. Both restaurants knocked the socks off anything we've had on Princess.

It makes me wonder what some people are used to eating a home if the DR menu isn't that appealing.

It makes me wonder what some people are used to eating a home if the DR menu isn't that appealing.

I wonder the same thing. I live in Australia and any local bowling club, RSL club or clubs like Wests serve average food. The Princess main dining room is several times better than any of my average suburban restaurants. Then there is the fast food restaurants that Princess food is like 100 times better than.

I am sure in popular cities there are true fine dining and gourmet restaurants that people pay top dollar to go to and these restaurants are no doubt better than Princess main dining rooms, however the main dining room on a Princess ship does have fantastic food in pleasant surroundings that make it a good experience.

The specialty restaurants are for special occasions. I have nothing against them but I do find the main dining room perfectly acceptable.