Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

Eh just stand her back up and get it back in use. Those things will buff out. :)

Glad no one was hurt though on a more serious note.

All ships can have issues and to be honest across all of them (brands) with these tight timelines for turnarounds and such I'm honestly surprised more of these incidents don't happen. Carnival has a lot of ships out there and people love to smack the large companies around. I don't defend them or think think can do no wrong but I also don't think the others don't have a lot of these same issues some just don't get reported.

I don't defend them or think think can do no wrong but I also don't think the others don't have a lot of these same issues some just don't get reported.

Oh trust me, if any other cruise line knocked over a gangway somewhere, it would be all over the news, just like this one.

Oh trust me, if any other cruise line knocked over a gangway somewhere, it would be all over the news, just like this one.

Oh I'm sure. I'm just saying in general. They ALL have issues is my point. I'm glad their is competition out there at the end of the day competition makes a better product for all of us. Never been of the fanboi mentality myself I just do what I like. We want to take our little on on Disney also but I'm trying to figure out if I can live without a major organ since I will have to sell it in order to pay :)

...but rather continues on with poorly maintained ships, and continuous mishaps.

The events that brought the most negative attention to Carnival were the end result of a poor design, not necessarily poor maintenance. Hopefully the day will soon come when no Carnival ships have to carry the unsightly generators up top but until then, they're doing all they can with the cards they were dealt.

The events that brought the most negative attention to Carnival were the end result of a poor design, not necessarily poor maintenance. Hopefully the day will soon come when no Carnival ships have to carry the unsightly generators up top but until then, they're doing all they can with the cards they were dealt.

Right on, Paul. I was going to weigh in on that comment, but decided to let it pass, as part of the personal bickering on this thread. Out of all the major Carnival incidents in recent years, the only instance I've found of poor maintenance, was the engine failure on the Splendor that resulted in the fire that disabled the ship. However, as you say, if the ship had a better design of engine room segregation, as well as better training in fire suppression systems, this engine failure would have resulted in only a restricted fire to the engine in question.

It's not unprecedented for ships to hit things on the pier. There have been numerous instances of ships hitting gantry cranes that unload containers. Those cranes are sometimes over 200 feet tall and they've been toppled over, some with loss of life. Most instances occur when the bow of the ship, which can stick out over the pier, hits an object on the pier, usually during a turning maneuver when the ship is very close to the pier.

When we were on the Island Princess going through the canal, one of the gates hit the back of the ship. It ripped off the walking deck on one of the canal gates. Now I know why Princess does not allow passengers with an aft balcony to be on their balcony when going through the canal on the Island Princess. Accidents happen, so happy that no one got hurt. Looking at the pics it was a miracle!

Question, Paul. How quickly after the investigation is complete do you normally see the report on the incident page: CGMIX IIR?

I really wish I could answer that. I've seen incidents appear within a week (passenger injuries) and other incidents several months. They'll gather as many facts as they can before posting it and in cases like this (allision), it usually requires administrative subpoenas, which lengthens the process.

I really wish I could answer that. I've seen incidents appear within a week (passenger injuries) and other incidents several months. They'll gather as many facts as they can before posting it and in cases like this (allision), it usually requires administrative subpoenas, which lengthens the process.

Thanks. Kind of what I expected, no one answer fits all cases. I know that the forensic engineers and scientists will be busy doing reconstructions and so forth, and once the lawyers are involved it all slows way down.

So what you're saying is that it really IS Carnival's fault for signing off on and accepting a deficient design?

Fincantieri builds high end super yachts and builds for various militaries around the world. They build what the client specs. If Carnival specs to meet a minimum and / or does not spec redundancy that is not Fincantieri's fault.

I don't want to get into all of this Carnival bashing/cheerleading, but I'll make a couple of comments.

Shipyards generally have a portfolio of ship designs from their "preferred" or possibly in-house naval architect firm, and this catalog will be used to sell ships to the client, allowing the client to make changes (within limits) at additional cost. I believe this applies to the cruise lines themselves, generally the cruise lines are interested in the hotel functions design, and let the yard fit a hull below it and fill it with machinery. There are of course in-house architects at the cruise lines' new build departments as well, who will look at the overall design and things like looks and efficiency.

As for the various derivatives of the Destiny class ships (all those built by Fincantieri) being "deficient", lets just say this. At the time these ships were being designed and built, there was no requirement for total engine room segregation, as now mandated by the IMO's Safe Return to Port requirements, so each designer, architect, and engineer was free to determine the degree of segregation thought necessary. The fact that other naval architects had different ideas does not make the Carnival design "deficient", it means that some analyses look at "beyond worst case" scenarios, or simply have different design philosophies. After the Splendor fire, methods were initiated to remedy the vulnerability of the electrical cables, which were approved by the material manufacturer, the class society, and the flag state. That this did not prove out in the real world was evidenced in the Triumph fire, so further means (rerouting cabling) has been carried out on all these ships. The Carnival designs met the existing international regulations at the time of their construction.

The pilots do not work for any port. They belong to a professional association that charges the ships for their services. The pilots themselves own the association. They are licensed by the state or federal government, and then the association receives accreditation from the state to provide pilots.

As mentioned in previous pages, the pilot is not in command of the vessel, he is merely an adviser to the Captain on local conditions. He may have "the conn" (meaning he is giving commands to the ship's bridge team for maneuvering the ship), but the Captain can countermand or relieve the pilot at his discretion if he feels the pilot is incorrect.

Shipyards generally have a portfolio of ship designs from their "preferred" or possibly in-house naval architect firm, and this catalog will be used to sell ships to the client, allowing the client to make changes (within limits) at additional cost.

Exactly, hence the similarities in design and appearance across the cruise lines. For example, I was just on Norwegian Escape and there were a few things about the design of the ship that reminded me of Quantum of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice...3 ships from 3 different cruise lines that were all built at the same yard.

I tried to find the post referencing Fincantieri. It must have been removed. For what it's worth, Pride wasn't built there.

Exactly, hence the similarities in design and appearance across the cruise lines. For example, I was just on Norwegian Escape and there were a few things about the design of the ship that reminded me of Quantum of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice...3 ships from 3 different cruise lines that were all built at the same yard.

I tried to find the post referencing Fincantieri. It must have been removed. For what it's worth, Pride wasn't built there.

The Fantasy class was built by Kvaerner Masa and Spirit class by one of the STX franchise yards.

I thought only the hull design was basically done by the shipyard, everything inside is done by architects designing the cruise ship class. RCCL and Celebrity ships will use the same hull design sometimes, since it's the same company and it saves them money.

Depends on what you mean by "hull design". The yard will propose a complete hull, up to the "main deck" (the last contiguous deck extending from bow to stern), and the structural elements of the superstructure. Engineering and mechanical spaces will be outlined by the yard, and then modified as required to meet the cruise line's design of the essentially non-structural interior elements.

Kvaerner Masa in Finland became STX Finland, which has since broken up and been obtained by several owners, Meyer Werft getting the Turku yard, and the Helsinki yard where the Fantasy and Spirit classes were built being split between the Russians and an STX/United Shipbuilding consortium.

any news on when the gangway will be back in action?

I read on FB, from a TA who works for Carnival at the Port of Baltimore, that the repairs will take 6 - 9 months. Seems a bit long to me but since the gang way was originally a custom construction, and the State would have a vested interest in making sure that something like this is repaired properly given that it has so many critical eyes upon it from both the Pride and the Granduer (not to mention the smaller lines where Baltimore is a port of call), the long time to repair seems more reasonable.

I read on FB' date=' from a TA who works for Carnival at the Port of Baltimore, that the [b']repairs will take 6 - 9 months. [/b]Seems a bit long to me but since the gang way was originally a custom construction, and the State would have a vested interest in making sure that something like this is repaired properly given that it has so many critical eyes upon it from both the Pride and the Granduer (not to mention the smaller lines where Baltimore is a port of call), the long time to repair seems more reasonable.

Wow....so much for it being fixed for our cruise! :eek: :cool: