Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

At least Carnival hasn't killed anyone yet in their crashes, which is more than can be said for the Staten Island Ferry and OMG, Turbo Jet in Hong Kong that seems to have at least one spectacular crash every year in HK harbor while they scream through at 45 knots.

I just saw a bird fly into my sliding glass door!

The best thing about the Carnival board is that so often, no matter what the original topic is, the responses eventually go into the same indistinguishable direction - an argument over whose is bigger.

Ever see Monty Python's Argument sketch?

Edited by natty bumppo

I'm just wondering if we are talking weeks or months to find out what happened and who's at fault. As was said earlier, if will be even longer once the lawyers get involved.....

It probably won't be made public, but I doubt it will take long to ascertain responsibility. In fact I suspect Carnival or its insurance carrier has already agreed to pay for the damages.

It probably won't be made public, but I doubt it will take long to ascertain responsibility. In fact I suspect Carnival or its insurance carrier has already agreed to pay for the damages.

You have a pretty optimistic view of the legal profession. My feeling is that until the USCG investigation is complete, Carnival's legal department would deny any responsibility as a matter of course.

If Carnival's reaction to the Triumph breaking loose in a storm is any indication of what might happen here, I would expect them to fire off a barrage of lawsuits against the port of Baltimore, the owners of the vehicles that were destroyed, the manufacturer of the gangway, the operator of the gangway and Fincantieri.

Edited by Thorncroft

I'd use more if I could.

I must have missed something. Why all the rolled eyes? :confused:

If fault falls on the Pride, which it appears it does, what's wrong with gtalum saying Carnival will pay for the damages? :confused:

I must have missed something. Why all the rolled eyes? :confused:

If fault falls on the Pride, which it appears it does, what's wrong with gtalum saying Carnival will pay for the damages? :confused:

I'm sorry, I must have missed the one non-speculative post in this thread not from a arm-chair Monday Morning cruise ship captain that it was found it was the cruise ship fault.

Edited by Steve Dore

I'm sorry, I must have missed the one non-speculative post in this thread not from a arm-chair Monday Morning cruise ship captain that it was found it was the cruise ship fault.

I'm too lazy to look back, but I believe that Paul (Aquahound), who is a USCG investigator, and myself (40 year US merchant ships' officer) have both stated that responsibility for any allision (moving vessel striking a non-moving vessel or stationary object) rests with the moving vessel. However, as I've also said, the relative amounts of fault will need to be determined by the USCG incident investigation.

And it is gtalum's personal observation that he feels Carnival will already be settling, but I have answered his observation with my own personal observation to the contrary, without sarcasm.

I would explain in detail how a ship's mooring platform striking a stationary object on land can be of no else's responsibly than the master of the moving ship but somehow, I don't think it will matter to you.

I would explain in detail how a ship's mooring platform striking a stationary object on land can be of no else's responsibly than the master of the moving ship but somehow, I don't think it will matter to you.

See, I missed the part where it was confirmed that the stationary object was actually stationary at the time it was struck. Miust of missed that post in a thread full of absolute pure ******g speculation.

See, I missed the part where it was confirmed that the stationary object was actually stationary at the time it was struck. Miust of missed that post in a thread full of absolute pure ******g speculation.

Something I borrowed from another thread that fits perfectly right now...

f0a1a0e1473bf5e5174b699b5d84d081b0bdc1b9820135c12453d93476157b39_zpsx45uzbph.jpg

The fact that the ramp is fixed at one end, and doesn't move like a vehicle, in maritime parlance, makes it a "stationary object". And I would say that you're tangling with the wrong person when it comes to maritime investigation, but that apparently wouldn't affect you either.

Someone suggested earlier in this thread that the ramp was possibly moving toward the ship as it was attempting to dock. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's true or not, just what I am basing my thoughts on. I wasn't aware we had information confirmed beyond what the armchair cruise captains here speculated (not referenced to you aqua and chengph). You have to admit there was was a lot of speculation in the beginning as to what happened and how. I'm not trying to purposely argue with people that have previous/current employment in this area.

I'm moving on. Take care. :)

Hope for and update from passengers on Embarkment and Disembarkment process without Gangway. Any Delays, Issues? Leaving on the Pride in 3 weeks.

Things ran smoothly today. Disembark was a little slower but ship was ready to leave at 1630 as usual.

Thanks!

How and where do guest enter and exit now??

Deck 1 (?). Pier level forward. Where the crew boards usually. Might get a little wet if it's raining but probably easier since you don't have to walk up all of the ramps.