Italian VAT on entire cruise from Rome to Venice (20th july 2016)

Stefan_Cruise

HI!

We are planning our second Oceania Cruise from the 20th of july to the 28th of july - leaving from Rome to Venice. I got the information from Oceania that on the entire cruise they charge the italian VAT 10% to all things bought on board (beverages incl. beverage packages, "duty free items", spa, etc) on top of 18% tips (if applicable). I told the agent that there is one non EU-port (Kotor, Montenegro)! He hold me that this is not important.

So if one glass of wine costs $ 8,-- - you have to pay 18% tips and 10% VAT = $ 10,38.

HI!

We are planning our second Oceania Cruise from the 20th of july to the 28th of july - leaving from Rome to Venice. I got the information from Oceania that on the entire cruise they charge the italian VAT 10% to all things bought on board (beverages incl. beverage packages, "duty free items", spa, etc) on top of 18% tips (if applicable). I told the agent that there is one non EU-port (Kotor, Montenegro)! He hold me that this is not important.

So if one glass of wine costs $ 8,-- - you have to pay 18% tips and 10% VAT = $ 10,38.

I'm not going to challenge what you say that you were told, but I'll bet that if you ask for details about this situation to be supplied in writing that you will receive an entirely different answer.

I'm not going to challenge what you say that you were told, but I'll bet that if you ask for details about this situation to be supplied in writing that you will receive an entirely different answer.

Hi!

Here is the thread in the celebrity-forum about the VAT:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49573470&highlight=eu#post49573470

Best wishes

Edited by Stefan_Cruise

What S&J is telling you is that it's a complicated situation that the phone agents really don't understand. With a stop in Montenegro you should be okay.

That was my information! Last year I was on the Riviera and in Kotor too and they wanted 20% VAT for duty free items.

Leaving from italian ports has the same VAT-problem! There was a large info on the duty-free-shops either on Celebrity, Oceania and Seabourn regarding duty free! Non-EU-residents could refund the VAT for duty free!

It might have helped if you had specified that you were an EU resident from the get go.

Sounds like an inter EU taxation issue to me. You may want to discuss this further with your accountant, but in my experience, The tax man gets what the tax man wants.

For we outsiders, the Italians seem to still be waiving the VAT rather than collecting and refunding it.

Spain is a different kettle of fish.

• 4 weeks later...
We're Riviera now and it looks like Spain is going to take it's pound of flesh the entire cruise, despite a stop in Monte Carlo (which is non EU).

While you are technically correct, please read the below quote regarding how for some things, including VAT Monaco (the country) of which Monte Carlo is the city does participate in the EU in regards to VAT.

Sorry about that!!

Relations between Monaco and the European Union (EU) are primarily conducted through France. Through that relationship Monaco directly participates in certain EU policies. Monaco is an integral part of the EU customs territory and VAT area, and therefore applies most measures on excise duties and VAT.[1]

However this relationship does not extend to external trade. Preferential trade agreements between the EU and third countries apply only to goods originating from the customs territory - Monaco may not claim EU origin in this respect.[1]

Monaco is a de facto member of the Schengen area (its borders and customs territory are treated as part of France) and it officially uses the euro as its sole currency. It uses the euro via an agreement with the EU and France and is allowed by the EU to mint its own coins. Monaco uses the euro as it previously had its currency tied 1:1 with the French franc.[1]

The two have also concluded agreements on the application of Community legislation to pharmaceuticals, cosmetic products and medical devices (this entered into force on 1 May 2004); and on savings taxation (in force since 1 July 2005).[1]

Can't be sure but, other countries discussed in this thread may also be the same as Monaco in regards to VAT. Seems it isn't as simple as some posters state as to if and where you will pay VAT while on a cruise. An extremely complex issue and not simply full EU membership or not.

Edited by rallydave

While you are technically correct, please read the below quote regarding how for some things, including VAT Monaco (the country) of which Monte Carlo is the city does participate in the EU in regards to VAT.

Sorry about that!!

Relations between Monaco and the European Union (EU) are primarily conducted through France. Through that relationship Monaco directly participates in certain EU policies. Monaco is an integral part of the EU customs territory and VAT area, and therefore applies most measures on excise duties and VAT.[1]

However this relationship does not extend to external trade. Preferential trade agreements between the EU and third countries apply only to goods originating from the customs territory - Monaco may not claim EU origin in this respect.[1]

Monaco is a de facto member of the Schengen area (its borders and customs territory are treated as part of France) and it officially uses the euro as its sole currency. It uses the euro via an agreement with the EU and France and is allowed by the EU to mint its own coins. Monaco uses the euro as it previously had its currency tied 1:1 with the French franc.[1]

The two have also concluded agreements on the application of Community legislation to pharmaceuticals, cosmetic products and medical devices (this entered into force on 1 May 2004); and on savings taxation (in force since 1 July 2005).[1]

Can't be sure but, other countries discussed in this thread may also be the same as Monaco in regards to VAT. Seems it isn't as simple as some posters state as to if and where you will pay VAT while on a cruise. An extremely complex issue and not simply full EU membership or not.

Thanks Dave, the clarification helps. I was going to look for things to s spend the OBC...won't be an issue now...dang Spanish govt will get it.

Prices for drinks can be mind boggling with the VAT...particularly after buying bottles of wine in Barcelona at dinner for less than some of the drinks I've had. I also brought an extra bottle onboard for the room, but instead might bring one for dinner as corkage fee in this case is a savings.