1st time to Alaska

SHELLKOV

We've been on 20 cruises, which have all been in the Caribbean. We are going to Alaska this September. Two couples are going with us that have never cruised before. It's hard telling them what to pack since this trip is going to be so different for us also. We would appreciate advice and ideas from those of you that aren't Alaska virgins. Thank you! 😀

Pack clothes so you can dress in layers. The sports stores have heat retaining garments that don't take up much room and are easy to clean. Leave those bulky insulated waffled garments home!

A pair of waterproof shoes/boots can come in handy on excursions.

Hat and gloves too!

Read the Port of Call threads for Alaska, lots of good info there for packing as well as excursions. Enjoy!

A hooded sweatshirt, levis and a ball cap. The advice about layering is sound and you will find it cool, cold and warm all on the same day. We have been six times and I think you will find the scenery breath taking! Enjoy.

I found a pair of lightweight gloves (like the cheap strechy kind) so valuable while sitting outside watching the scenery as the only part that got really cold was my hands... Hat is good too (good chance it will rain at some point). Polarized sunglasses (to watch the water for wildlife as they make it easier to spot).

All good advice above. Adding to it:

Binoculars

Rain/wind breaker

(We were first of the season, which may be applicable since you are late in the season):

I took my full length wool peacoat, hat and scarf, that was absolutely perfect for standing on the balcony to catch the scenery without freezing to death. (Yes I am a wimp, I'm from Phoenix!) We didn't have to worry about layers. As it was cold, cold and cold. But luckily we only had one day of rain on our entire trip. So we brought exactly the right clothes.

You'll probably get more information on the Alaska board. But here's a thread I was following. I know it says "ladies" but there is more information in there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2342728

We're going on our first as well, but being from Chicago, we have clothes for all kinds of weather and seasons! ;)

Layers is the best advice on here. You have to be prepared for anything. The day we were in Juneau it was 84 degrees. It was actually hot. People were in the pools and wearing bikinis. 2 Days later it was misting rain and freezing cold.

We were in Alaska last September for 2 weeks & 7 days days land (DIY) & 7 night return cruise from Seward to Vancouver. This was the last Celebrity ship for the season. The weather changed everyday & sometimes within hours, however we only had 2 days of rain for the entire trip. Boy did it rain !!!

We did not take any Jeans (denim) on this trip. If they get wet you are very uncomfortable & they take forever to dry-out. We think your outer wear is the most important to protect you from the current weather.

Our list:

A good windbreaker/water-proof jacket/shell easy to pack, light, only used when you need it. We use a shell to layer with a polar-tec full zippered fleece

Attached hood is always nice on the shell

A warm hat like a night watchman's cap or synthetic material used in ski caps Gloves are always a plus as your hands will get cold

T-shirts should not be cotton The more athletic synthetic blends work best for warmth & drying out quickly.

Socks we like the heavy wool blends for outside on the excursions, not necessary while on the ship.

Shoes we like hiking boots, however any good running shoe or walking shoe that is comfortable will do Go to a sporting goods store & get a bottle of spray & water-proof your shoes prior to this trip. Use this spray only on shoes

Pants we like the cargo/jungle pants that are light weight & dry very quickly

We also pack long underwear for warmth & protection on chilly mornings & evenings. All this items can be found on line or at Cabela's, Pro Bass Shops, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc

Take your camera, binoculars if you have them, hand sanitizer, sunglasses, & lots of handkerchiefs Everything here is optional... we would rather pack it & have it with us, than have to buy it on shore. Of course if you don't need it while on your trip that's great too LAYER !!! LAYER !!! LAYER !!!

Of course there is always more, however we like to pack light. Few people dressed well for MDR on our trip. Most wore what they had on during the day or changed their top. Alaska is very casual compared to other cruises.

There are many packing suggestions online. This seems to work best for us.

Final thought we did pack some rain pants. These are light, easy to pack, & nice to have if you need them. Although it did not rain much, we used them a lot on deck viewing the glaciers were it was cooler & nice for blocking the wind. They were really handy during our whale-watching boat excursion & boat trip around the Kenai Peninsula. The gloves were great too. I carried a small backpack to handle all my camera needs & a place to store items not in use during our excursions. Hope this helps...

Happy Travels, John

Edited by onespots

agree with above .......layers can not be overemphasized.......don't go overboard with the swimwear and summer type items .....it can be cool and raining part of the day and then sunny and warm the rest......September can be cooler and rainier than other months and will have less daylight....simple comfortable layered clothes........

Thanks for the great advice. We are so excited about this trip. My brother and sis-in-law are going with us, and they have never cruised before. Or flown. My brother is nervous about that. We have a long flight from Ohio, so this might get interesting with him. LOL!

Do you need an actual rain jacket or just water resistant? It seems like the rain jackets are much bulkier to pack and uncomfortable to wear at least the ones that I have been looking at. What about rain pants? any suggestiond for brands?

Do you need an actual rain jacket or just water resistant? It seems like the rain jackets are much bulkier to pack and uncomfortable to wear at least the ones that I have been looking at. What about rain pants? any suggestiond for brands?

My rain jacket is just a lightweight shell and not at all bulky. I don't know what you are looking at, but a rain jacket shouldn't be bulky.

I live in the Seattle area and I don't even own rain pants. In 8 trips to Alaska, I think I have experienced only one day where I would have even considered using rain pants, if I had them, but I survived just fine without them.

My rain jacket is just a lightweight shell and not at all bulky. I don't know what you are looking at, but a rain jacket shouldn't be bulky.

I live in the Seattle area and I don't even own rain pants. In 8 trips to Alaska, I think I have experienced only one day where I would have even considered using rain pants, if I had them, but I survived just fine without them.

I've seen 2 kinds the water resistant kind are very light weight and rolls up easy to pack. The other ones are more like a Totes, London Fog type of matterial usually with a lining.

We've been on 20 cruises, which have all been in the Caribbean. We are going to Alaska this September. Two couples are going with us that have never cruised before. It's hard telling them what to pack since this trip is going to be so different for us also. We would appreciate advice and ideas from those of you that aren't Alaska virgins. Thank you! 😀

Layers - that do not include cotton as the base. Cotton does not wick - if it get wet (rain/sweat) you will get chilled.