Arrival time vs Private Excursion pick up time

cruisegal415

I feel that this is maybe a stupid question, but if our itinerary says our ship arrives in port at 8 am, do we arrange pick up for our private excursions for 8 am? Or 8:15 or 8:30? Or do we tell them 8 am and they know that if the ship arrives at 8 am, we won't be getting off at 8 am? Or does the itinerary say arrives at port 8 am when it means that's when debarkation starts at that particular port?

We have arranged several private excursions where they will pick us up at the dock, I assume if we say 8 am, and they arrive at 8 am, and no one is disembarking when they get there, they will just wait?

At one other port (Monte Carlo), our private excursion meets at a location near the port at 8:30. Can I assume we will get off the ship in time to meet the tour?

well there is the published schedule, the Practical schedule and unknown schedule. If is says 0800 then they "hope" to begin at that time, Practical says weather wind waves, medical diversions and emergencies, acts of God ... and cdlosely realted to God, assording to them, Customs, immigration you name it The practical view says it is in the best of their intentions to be able to start at )800. Its a ship, its in the ocean it does about 24 miles an hour 20 kt. and thats what they HOPE for.

I would consider it un wise to book things with the off the ship as absolute.. just too many variables...

I WOULD NOT plan on getting off within the same hour to be safe... give your self a margin of error....

Be sure to check your itinerary for any ports that are tender ports. If it is a tender port you must go to the main lounge and get a tender ticket. Then you wait until your color/number is called. Those passengers taking an O shore excursion have priority over those on their own although they do try to get some independents on each tender.

The private tour operators have way more experience with this subject than we do! They are aware of the time the ship arrives, approximately what time it will be cleared, etc. simply because they do this every day during the cruise season. They will often tell you what the most appropriate pick-up time will be for their location and for the tour you've booked.

The private tour operators have way more experience with this subject than we do! They are aware of the time the ship arrives, approximately what time it will be cleared, etc. simply because they do this every day during the cruise season. They will often tell you what the most appropriate pick-up time will be for their location and for the tour you've booked.

Totally agree. Typically, they will set the time to meet you outside the ship no less than 30 minutes after arrival time. They usually give instructions in your confirmation as to where and when the meeting point will be and allow plenty of time for the priority ship's excursions and then you to disembark.

The tours I've booked ask what time to pick up, they don't ask what time the ship gets in. I supposed I should email them to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The very first thing that a Tour Guide will do (after taking your reservation) is to confirm your ships arrival time and its' scheduled berthing arrangements.

They also won't leave home "on the day" without checking that your ship has arrived in port, and determining where the harbormaster has actually put her (docking arrangements are pre-arranged but changes may occur as life swirls around us).

In schedule conscious America, we think of the Guides wait time as wasted, but I think that many of them secretly enjoy it. They network with colleagues, trade gossip and savor their final private moments before their workdays officially begin. Many people in the hospitality industry describe their time with clients as being "on" as in onstage, so waiting for the ship would be backstage.

Speaking of their workdays, almost every Guide that I've ever dealt with has insisted that we get off of the ship as early as is possible, in order to "beat the traffic", or "maximize our day", but as I gained in experience I began to suspect that finishing the tour early was the primary focus of all of that AM hurry up.

Look at your touring plans with a critical eye. You will never have enough time to see certain ports properly in one day, but lets face it, not every city offers such largesse. If you don't need the full day, you don't need the full day.

The port intensive itineraries which Oceania offers are wonderful, but rushing off of the ship day after day after day can be very wearing. Beware the "three tours in a row" energy slump that is so common.

You will be on vacation, after all, so it might be more pleasant for some of your tours to commence a bit later in the morning. The Guides will greet your suggestion of a late start as heresy, but sleeping in for that extra hour or so can be delightful after two or three fully loaded days.

That is really great advice. I must say, having tours booked every day starting at 8 am is a little stressful for us two retired folks who are used to sleeping in or if not sleeping late, at least lolling around in the mornings!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Whenever I have arranged tours (not that often, but often enough) I prefer meeting the guide no earlier than 9am, and often 10am. It depends on how long the tour will be, whether we have to tender, what time we are "due in", etc. I agree with Jim that killing myself on vacation is not a favorite activity. (DH would disagree probably. He wants to see every bit of things he can see whereas I prefer a more relaxed itinerary.)

Then again, there are ports in major cities or you can be in a place like Puerto Chacabuco in Chile, population 100 ...

And yes, if it's a tender port you need to be ready to go earlier than if you can just walk off the ship.

Mura

The very first thing that a Tour Guide will do (after taking your reservation) is to confirm your ships arrival time and its' scheduled berthing arrangements.

They also won't leave home "on the day" without checking that your ship has arrived in port, and determining where the harbormaster has actually put her (docking arrangements are pre-arranged but changes may occur as life swirls around us).

In schedule conscious America, we think of the Guides wait time as wasted, but I think that many of them secretly enjoy it. They network with colleagues, trade gossip and savor their final private moments before their workdays officially begin. Many people in the hospitality industry describe their time with clients as being "on" as in onstage, so waiting for the ship would be backstage.

Speaking of their workdays, almost every Guide that I've ever dealt with has insisted that we get off of the ship as early as is possible, in order to "beat the traffic", or "maximize our day", but as I gained in experience I began to suspect that finishing the tour early was the primary focus of all of that AM hurry up.

Look at your touring plans with a critical eye. You will never have enough time to see certain ports properly in one day, but lets face it, not every city offers such largesse. If you don't need the full day, you don't need the full day.

The port intensive itineraries which Oceania offers are wonderful, but rushing off of the ship day after day after day can be very wearing. Beware the "three tours in a row" energy slump that is so common.

You will be on vacation, after all, so it might be more pleasant for some of your tours to commence a bit later in the morning. The Guides will greet your suggestion of a late start as heresy, but sleeping in for that extra hour or so can be delightful after two or three fully loaded days.

Excellent advice. And God Bless sea days -- they are so needed! The more cruises the more I love sea days in between ports.

The guide is YOUR person -- he/she will try very hard to please you. It does not matter what time you start - the guide SHOULD know how to cut and paste a good experience in his territory to the time you have to enjoy it. THE MOST IMPORTANT understanding is that you are back in plenty of time. Things happen and the ship does not wait for private guided folks -- can't wait because the pier and pilot boat and all the other of thousands of details cost money if that ship does not sail on time!

We had a tour in France out of Monte Carlo and the ship had to change ports due to rough seas. Our guide had checked with the port agent and picked us up there - was waiting for us and emailed me. Most of them will do that if it's feasible.