Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

People may have assumed she went to sleep in a friends cabin or met someone or who knows.

Last seen and "oh crap where is she" could be 12 hours apart.

I agree, what I mean from my statement is that the long time between is not good from a finding/rescue point of view.

I thought the ships had some kind of censors that went off if someone or something went overboard. Is that not true? I find it alarming she has been missing since 1:30 AM and this is just now happening. Of course, it may not be Carnival's fault as they may have not been notified until recently but if my spouse or friends never came back to the room one night and I didn't see them again the next morning you can bet I would be freaking out a lot earlier than this.

There are a ton of reasons why they would wait 12 hours to look. I saw a story on 20/20 once that a girl was really drunk and met up with a guy so the friends assumed she was with him. It took until the following afternoon until they knew something was up. Not saying this is the case, but definitely something that could cause the delay

I don't get it, we are talking about a missing person, not a contagious disease outbreak. How does ordering other passengers back to their cabin help a missing person search?

Hope they find this lady safe and sound.

That is how they do a head count.

Final update:

Guests are now released to the ship. They could not find her in the search :(

Thanks for the update. Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise. Thoughts are with her family.

deleted

In April something of a similar nature happened on the Ruby Princess. The evening before we were to reach Maui, the Captain announced that we would be turning back the ship about 4 miles because a passenger reported a suspicious object in the water. We turned around...the object in question was a foam marker/buoy, very visible. It was a false alarm. But comforting to know that they did make an effort to search, should it have been a real call.

I am sincerely hoping that the lost passengers are found and are OK.

No they don't. I think the law is supposed to require it, but from what I read on cruise law news, they don't have them because of the high cost of installing them.

The Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act (CVSSA) only requires ships built after 2010 to meet the requirements for man overboard monitoring, and the Liberty was built in 2005.

Secondly, the USCG has promulgated rules to enforce the act, and have given the cruise lines the choice of using one of three methods:

1. Video or thermal image capturing, which is what most ships already have in that there is a camera looking down each side of the ship, and the images are recorded and kept for the required retention period. Each image is time stamped, so review can pinpoint the time of an incident.

2. Automated alert systems using cameras, thermal, and radar systems to detect a man overboard incident and sound an alarm

3. A combination of the two above.

CLIA, the cruise industry trade association, has stated that most lines will opt for the video image capture system.

The Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act (CVSSA) only requires ships built after 2010 to meet the requirements for man overboard monitoring, and the Liberty was built in 2005.

Secondly, the USCG has promulgated rules to enforce the act, and have given the cruise lines the choice of using one of three methods:

1. Video or thermal image capturing, which is what most ships already have in that there is a camera looking down each side of the ship, and the images are recorded and kept for the required retention period. Each image is time stamped, so review can pinpoint the time of an incident.

2. Automated alert systems using cameras, thermal, and radar systems to detect a man overboard incident and sound an alarm

By

3. A combination of the two above.

CLIA, the cruise industry trade association, has stated that most lines will opt for the video image capture system.

Thank you for the info!!

Final update:

Guests are now released to the ship. They could not find her in the search :(

This is too soon for final update. Are they turning the ship around or saying 'good luck' and continuing to the next port?

I wouldn't think the ship would turn around this late. There was a 21-yr male that disappeared on one of our cruises during the night years ago and the ship didn't stop or turn around. They started looking for him around breakfast time. Didn't end well.

I don't get it, we are talking about a missing person, not a contagious disease outbreak. How does ordering other passengers back to their cabin help a missing person search?

Hope they find this lady safe and sound.

Just the process of elimination. If all the other passengers are in their cabins then the one person still wandering around who has not answered the request to "call home" will be the missing passenger. Elementary my dear Watson!

This is too soon for final update. Are they turning the ship around or saying 'good luck' and continuing to the next port?

They dont turn the ship around. One tremendous cruise ship, that lost a passanger 15 hours ago, isn't going to do anything. They would need smaller rescue boats. That is the coast guard's job

People may have assumed she went to sleep in a friends cabin or met someone or who knows.

Last seen and "oh crap where is she" could be 12 hours apart.

Remember what happened to that HS grad in Aruba. Her three roommates knew she did not return to their hotel room that night and never said a word until she did not show up at the airport the next afternoon. Many people just assume you are an adult and are off on a whatever and do not think about bad stuff.

They dont turn the ship around. One tremendous cruise ship, that lost a passanger 15 hours ago, isn't going to do anything. They would need smaller rescue boats. That is the coast guard's job

It's not the coast guards job beyond 1-2 miles from the coast. There have been people recovered from the ocean that have been out for many hours beyond 12 before. It's kinda silly to not make an attempt.

Carnival must not want to pay out everyone's FCCs of 20-30% from people whining about missing a port.

It's not the coast guards job beyond 1-2 miles from the coast. There have been people recovered from the ocean that have been out for many hours beyond 12 before. It's kinda silly to not make an attempt.

Carnival must not want to pay out everyone's FCCs of 20-30% from people whining about missing a port.

Sorry, you are incorrect. It's kinda silly for you to make comments like this.

No they don't. I think the law is supposed to require it, but from what I read on cruise law news, they don't have them because of the high cost of installing them.

Actually, some of them do have it already. The captain spoke about it during a 'Behind The Fun' tour I took aboard the Magic. :)