Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

I second this motion! Can we get a third so that the moderators close this thread? People are getting just plain nasty.

I don't see anything nasty...and I for one hope the thread stays in case new information becomes available to be shared.

Plus I am learning a lot from other posters about procedures I was unaware of.

Nasty? I don't see anything nasty. Maybe disagreement on the facts, but that's not nasty.

When I hear about incidents like this, I just shake my head. How does an adult just fall off a cruise ship? I always wonder if alcohol was involved.

Roz

I second this motion! Can we get a third so that the moderators close this thread? People are getting just plain nasty.

I don't see anything "nasty" here.

When I first heard of this, I thought either suicide or alcohol/drugs.

So does my first thought make me callous, nasty or cold-blooded..or just normal?

Hard to just fall off a ship. And while I suppose it is possible, I would think it almost as hard (not impossible) for somebody to throw somebody else off a ship without alcohol/drugs being involved. The victim would be fighting back, others would hear the ruckus, etc.

As for the other passengers...yeah they have their right to their vacation. Our society cannot go into mourning for each and every death you hear about, regardless how close in proximity it occurs.

Edited by Badfinger

Thank you for the info. I don't think you are cold hearted at all, but truthful. Which is refreshing considering too many people blame the cruise line or get scared about "falling" off of a ship. Happy Cruising!

Thank you, I appreciate your comment. :)

No, they do not, and they should not need to either. Obviously without an automatic "MOB" system, they will need to be notified and then review the video.

/QUOTE]

In actual fact there are surveillance officers on duty 24/7 watching the cameras on several monitors. However, the monitors cycle through the several hundred cameras every few seconds, so even though these guys are trained to catch certain activities in a blink, if the monitors are not on the correct camera at the precise time, they won't see it.

Well, Chief, obviously this team of monitors, and your own reasoning supports my case. She jumped off, she's gone, and that's it. Can we please get used to the cold, hard facts?

Okay, mea culpa, they have a team watching the cameras. She obviously elected to jump off the ship, or fall off due to a stupid maneuver. Would this team of video monitor folks make a difference, even if they saw it?

I think not.

Bottom line: You jump or fall, and you are likely dead upon arrival and going to the bottom.

No, they do not, and they should not need to either. Obviously without an automatic "MOB" system, they will need to be notified and then review the video.

Let's face some reality here, folks, you just don't fall off a ship. It is typically a willful act, or one where the person (often due to alcohol) puts themselves in a position where they could fall off.

Another thing: You are jumping / falling off a ship at a height of perhaps 75-100 feet. Your body is also moving at the speed of the ship when you hit the water.

Yes, water seems "soft" when you jump in your swimming pool, but at higher heights, and when your body is also moving, you might as well be jumping on to a concrete slab. You will be lucky to survive the fall, though a small minority have, and have been rescued. Otherwise, you will either die instantly, or be knocked unconscious. Next comes drowning. Your body floats or goes to the bottom, never to be found.

Remember, it is not the fall that kills you, it is the sudden stop.

Thoughts, wishes, prayers and hopes aside; she is gone, and likely resting at the bottom. She will not be found.

As an aviator for over 40 years, and also knowledgeable about ships, I am very pragmatic when it comes to this stuff.

The reality is: Even if Carnival had someone watching the video 24/7, the result would likely be the same.

Sorry if many of you think I am callous or of a cold heart- I am not!:cool:

Unfortunately for this woman, everything you say is true.

Well, Chief, obviously this team of monitors, and your own reasoning supports my case. She jumped off, she's gone, and that's it. Can we please get used to the cold, hard facts?

Okay, mea culpa, they have a team watching the cameras. She obviously elected to jump off the ship, or fall off due to a stupid maneuver. Would this team of video monitor folks make a difference, even if they saw it?

I think not.

Bottom line: You jump or fall, and you are likely dead upon arrival and going to the bottom.

I will disagree with you, Lou, only in terms of inevitability. While the likelihood of surviving a fall from height into the water are slim, there have been quite a few, and several recently. As I've said, hypothermia, especially if alcohol is involved will also lower the odds. If the surveillance team had caught the instant of going overboard, the odds of a recovery would have gone up, but given the hour of the day, not by much.

All in all, the odds of surviving going overboard are less than 5% in my opinion, so there is always a chance, just because someone goes overboard does not automatically condemn them.

Let's face some reality here, folks, you just don't fall off a ship. It is typically a willful act, or one where the person (often due to alcohol) puts themselves in a position where they could fall off.

Another thing: You are jumping / falling off a ship at a height of perhaps 75-100 feet. Your body is also moving at the speed of the ship when you hit the water.

Yes, water seems "soft" when you jump in your swimming pool, but at higher heights, and when your body is also moving, you might as well be jumping on to a concrete slab. You will be lucky to survive the fall, though a small minority have, and have been rescued. Otherwise, you will either die instantly, or be knocked unconscious. Next comes drowning. Your body floats or goes to the bottom, never to be found.

Remember, it is not the fall that kills you, it is the sudden stop.

Thoughts, wishes, prayers and hopes aside; she is gone, and likely resting at the bottom. She will not be found.

As an aviator for over 40 years, and also knowledgeable about ships, I am very pragmatic when it comes to this stuff.

The reality is: Even if Carnival had someone watching the video 24/7, the result would likely be the same.

Sorry if many of you think I am callous or of a cold heart- I am not!:cool:

Very well and practically explained. But for loved ones every effort, however futile, is hope, till there is some closure.

It's not the coast guards job beyond 1-2 miles from the coast. There have been people recovered from the ocean that have been out for many hours beyond 12 before. It's kinda silly to not make an attempt.

Carnival must not want to pay out everyone's FCCs of 20-30% from people whining about missing a port.

@koakaWala just a heads up, the CG conducts SARS far beyond 1-2 miles from the coast. They're all over the world's oceans but of course most concentrated around the US.

I was is the coast guard and we saved people all over the world not 1-2 miles out. My ship passed many cruise ships while on patrol. The coast guard is never that far away and the navy has ships and planes around also. If someone is missing I guarantee they would be looking.

Waves to a fellow coastie vet and cruise ship addict :-D

On our 15-day cruise to Hawaii in 2012, a man jumped overboard 2 days from San Diego in broad daylight. Although it to over 5 miles for the ship to turn around, the crew did find and rescue the guy. The captain asked all passengers to look for the guy and it didn't take long to spot him. He was brought back on board and confined to the infirmary until we reached our first Hawaiian port, where he was taken to a hospital. Rumors were that he was bipolar and had not been taking his medications.

So, yes, the captain will make every effort to save a life. And in this case, the captain and his crew did an outstanding job!

Thought and prayers go out to the woman's family and friends. I cannot imagine the devistation they must be going through. Those poor children!

I was on that sailing as well, and that is exactly what my mind turned to when I heard about this incident.

My prayers go out to this woman's family.

I will disagree with you, Lou, only in terms of inevitability. While the likelihood of surviving a fall from height into the water are slim, there have been quite a few, and several recently. As I've said, hypothermia, especially if alcohol is involved will also lower the odds. If the surveillance team had caught the instant of going overboard, the odds of a recovery would have gone up, but given the hour of the day, not by much.

All in all, the odds of surviving going overboard are less than 5% in my opinion, so there is always a chance, just because someone goes overboard does not automatically condemn them.

Chief,

As I said above, somewhere, a small minority have survived. You said less than a 5% chance, I never said a 100% that you will die. But let's face it, if you do this at night, the odds are greatly against you. Also, can one swim or tread water?

Let us face reality, which many (not saying you, by any means) cannot come to grips with.

The Liberty sure has had a bad run of rotten luck lately. Starting with the noro outbreak, then the couple killed in Cozumel on the moped, then the lady on our sailing that drowned, then the thruster issue, now this. Yeesh..maybe they need to hire a priest or something.

All silliness aside though, I feel so sad for this lady and for her family. I can't even imagine how awful this must be for them.

No useful info or opinions to add, only prayers for her and her family,whatever the reason.

Just feeling the same need. I add my prayers for the lost soul and her family and friends.

I guess all we really can do is have compassion and learn and improve on some area of this incident..ship safety and knowledge, passenger overboard issues etc. As passengers and fellow travelers with human frailty..I hope that our kindness and caring takes over more than our displaced vacations...I think our cups are over half full on that account.

Edited by sjn911

Just feeling the same need. I add my prayers for the lost soul and her family and friends.

I guess all we really can do is have compassion and learn and improve on some area of this incident..ship safety and knowledge, passenger overboard issues etc. As passengers and fellow travelers with human frailty..I hope that our kindness and caring takes over more than our displaced vacations...I think our cups are over half full on that account.

Well said!

Prayers to this poor family and the traveling companions that are coming home broken

There's a few reports on FB that on the news in Texas stating that she was reenacting the scene from Titanic and slipped

I'm sorry, but that sounds like utter BS. How could anyone know that unless they were there to see her performance?

Typical Facebook nonsense.

There's a few reports on FB that on the news in Texas stating that she was reenacting the scene from Titanic and slipped

Prayers for her and her family

Guests aren't allowed at the bow of the ship unless they are on a ship tour. That is a crew only area.