Salmon on Alaskan cruise

Sonatina1990

Going on our first Alaskan cruise this summer. Very excited! Knowing that salmon is extremely popular in Alaska. Will Princess be offering lots of dining choices with salmon?

It's been a couple of years since cruising Alaska but had salmon on other Princess cruises.

Here's a link to their Alaskan experience:

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/north-to-alaska/

Alaska Seafood - An Alaska-themed dinner in the main dining rooms and special Alaska seafood menus in the specialty restaurants onboard.

Local Dives! - Specialty dishes from local eateries including Tracy's King Crab Shack, The Alaska Fish House, and the Skagway Fish Company.

Going on our first Alaskan cruise this summer. Very excited! Knowing that salmon is extremely popular in Alaska. Will Princess be offering lots of dining choices with salmon?

We will be going again in a week, I will post menus once we get back. We are on the northbound Vancouver to Whittier Star Princess. We did the inside passage in 2012 on the Star also, and on the always available menu they had Grilled Salmon with Herb & Lemon Compound Butter. Again, I will post menus soon after our return on the 28th.

Kel

Yes, and it's real Alaskan wild caught salmon! [emoji106]

And if you catch any fish, they'll cook it for you.

Cook my Catch - Reel in your fish during the day while on an excursion and enjoy it later that night for dinner! From the ocean, to your table - in the same day.

That's good to know. If I don't see any salmon on the menu I'll ask! Might just have to go fishing! ;)

My advice.....go down the dock with a $100 bill and buy one, its a whole lot cheaper and more reliable then fishing.:D

This will be our eighth year on the Alaskan Cruise. Last few years it has been one of the "always on the menu" choices in the main dining rooms. My wife has it most nights. It is really quite good. :)

Just got off the Ruby Princess yesterday - Seattle to Skagway and back - and I assure you there was salmon. Salmon fixed in many ways, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was served in the dining rooms and buffet. Along with a lot of other seafood...enjoy.

You're positive that is true?

Unless otherwise stated on the menu specifically as 'wild-caught' (IE. Copper River Sockeye etc.), I'm pretty sure that the salmon served on board in the MDR(always available menu) is farmed 'Atlantic' salmon.

As a rule of thumb, it's safe to presume that any salmon (on board or otherwise) not labeled as 'wild-caught' is usually farmed salmon.

My suggestion is this...when in Juneau, go to the Twisted Fish Company. It is an awesome restaurant about 1/4 mile from the ship on the dock....it's like right next to the Tram thingy that takes you up the mountain. The salmon there is seriously legit and probably swimming in the ocean that morning. Also, in Ketchikan about 3/4 of a mile from the dock is AnnaBelle's Seafood...again, quite excellent and you know you are getting fresh wild caught salmon from Alaska

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I highly doubt that.

You can tell by the color of the salmon. The light pink color is farm raised, the salmon that is very red in color is wild.

When in Alaska, eat salmon IN Alaska!

I highly doubt that.

You can tell by the color of the salmon. The light pink color is farm raised, the salmon that is very red in color is wild.

When in Alaska, eat salmon IN Alaska!

Colour means nothing, wild salmon is often pink. The colouring varies from species to species and depends on genetics and even what it has been feeding. There are chinook salmon (springs or kings to some people) that are white or even marbled white and pink. If you know salmon you can tell the farmed, Atlantic salmon by the size of its flakes.

We are currently on board Star Princess in Alaska and there is an Alaskan salmon dish on the always available section in the main dining room & a choice of halibut, copper river salmon & one other (sorry can't remember) on the Crown Grill menu with a choice of cooking preparations - the pan-fried copper river salmon was delicious.

We are currently on board Star Princess in Alaska and there is an Alaskan salmon dish on the always available section in the main dining room & a choice of halibut, copper river salmon & one other (sorry can't remember) on the Crown Grill menu with a choice of cooking preparations - the pan-fried copper river salmon was delicious.

Is it actual Copper River Salmon or:

1d8433af77c0ee550085309e35499902.jpg

Note that it is labeled as : A signature salmon dish of the Copper River Princess Wilderness lodge. Nowhere does it state on the MDR menu that it is indeed wild-caught Sockeye(or Chinook) Salmon.

The Sockeye run is just barely starting right now and won't be in full swing for another couple of weeks. Many commercial salmon fisheries around Alaska also won't be 'open' until then.

The Copper River fishery just opened for the first time yesterday (May 16th) for a single 12hr opening.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/dcfnewsrelease/657223525.pdf

So......

We will be going again in a week, I will post menus once we get back. We are on the northbound Vancouver to Whittier Star Princess. We did the inside passage in 2012 on the Star also, and on the always available menu they had Grilled Salmon with Herb & Lemon Compound Butter. Again, I will post menus soon after our return on the 28th.

Kel

Excellent! Look forward to seeing them, am doing the Whitter to Vancouver cruise next month.

There is a cookoff of Copper river Sockeye in Seattle today, caught and flown to Seattle yesterday and being served today.

Sorry, a little off topic. ;)

Edited by bigchid

I was told last year that the salmon that was served on the ship is farm raised frozen salmon from Chile. I’ve noticed in the last few years the portions are getting smaller of the salmon. I think when they make the Reindeer chili they wave a piece of Reindeer meat over the top of the pot, they call it good, same with the Clam chowder.

Is it actual Copper River Salmon or:

1d8433af77c0ee550085309e35499902.jpg

Note that it is labeled as : A signature salmon dish of the Copper River Princess Wilderness lodge. Nowhere does it state on the MDR menu that it is indeed wild-caught Sockeye(or Chinook) Salmon.

So......

My husband had it last week on the Crown. I'm not a fish fan, but I tried it and it was good. It's on the always available in Alaska.

I was told last year that the salmon that was served on the ship is farm raised frozen salmon from Chile. I’ve noticed in the last few years the portions are getting smaller of the salmon. I think when they make the Reindeer chili they wave a piece of Reindeer meat over the top of the pot, they call it good, same with the Clam chowder.

They wave reindeer meat over the clam chowder, too? ;) LOL. I am skeptical, too, about the Alaskan origins of the salmon they serve on the ship.