Need Packing Help - Lots of Questions

NboroGirl

I've never been to Alaska before. In four weeks we'll be taking a weeklong cruise from Vancouver to Whittier in a balcony stateroom and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to bring to wear. My in-laws took an Alaskan cruise years ago in July and m-i-l kept telling me how COLD it was and they froze. I asked what kinds of clothes/outerwear she packed/wore but she couldn't remember so I'm guessing (based on past experience) they were just unprepared and probably wore summer clothes. I read the Top Ten Things to Pack on an Alaskan Cruise, which was somewhat helpful, but not specific enough, and have searched through this thread. I'm looking for better wardrobe guidance than "Dress in layers". The only thing I'm sure of is what dressy/dinner outfits I'm going to bring.

Some info:

My cruise stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We signed up for a couple of excursions in Skagway: Mushers camp, and the White Pass railway. In Juneau we're thinking of going to Mendenhall Glacier on our own. In Anchorage we will be taking a post-cruise "glacier cruise" on a catamaran. Lastly we'll be spending a couple of days in Denali.

Here's what I would like to know...

Do I need to bring my winter jacket? Or would a spring jacket paired with a fleece hoodie (i.e. "layers") be sufficient? Do I really need hat and gloves? Is this ONLY for when you're on deck looking at glaciers (I know it can be windy on deck, especially when the ship is moving), or also for other parts of the cruise? Should I pack both a winter coat AND a spring jacket?

Do I need rain gear? We're not planning anything outdoorsy, such as hiking or kayaking, but I'm thinking my rain pancho might be a good idea. Waterproof shoes? That was in the Top Ten list article I mentioned above.

On land, what should I expect? Will it to be warm enough for jeans, short sleeves, and light jacket or fleece? Is it possible it will be warm enough for shorts? Do I need long-sleeved shirts? I understand one can never really predict the weather, and I will check the weather in the ports before I pack, but just to get a general idea of what to expect would be helpful.

Is it chilly inside the ship (Coral Princess)? Will I need sweaters to wear in the theaters and dining room? Winter, spring, or summer pajamas? I assume we can control the temperature in our stateroom.

Is there an enclosed pool on deck?

I like to pack light so I don't want to bring a lot of unnecessary clothing. Any (specific) help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I've never been to Alaska before. In four weeks we'll be taking a weeklong cruise from Vancouver to Whittier in a balcony stateroom and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to bring to wear. My in-laws took an Alaskan cruise years ago in July and m-i-l kept telling me how COLD it was and they froze. I asked what kinds of clothes/outerwear she packed/wore but she couldn't remember so I'm guessing (based on past experience) they were just unprepared and probably wore summer clothes. I read the Top Ten Things to Pack on an Alaskan Cruise, which was somewhat helpful, but not specific enough, and have searched through this thread. I'm looking for better wardrobe guidance than "Dress in layers". The only thing I'm sure of is what dressy/dinner outfits I'm going to bring.

Some info:

My cruise stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We signed up for a couple of excursions in Skagway: Mushers camp, and the White Pass railway. In Juneau we're thinking of going to Mendenhall Glacier on our own. In Anchorage we will be taking a post-cruise "glacier cruise" on a catamaran. Lastly we'll be spending a couple of days in Denali.

Do I need to bring my winter jacket? Or would a spring jacket paired with a fleece hoodie (i.e. "layers") be sufficient? Do I really need hat and gloves? Is this ONLY for when you're on deck looking at glaciers (I know it can be windy on deck, especially when the ship is moving), or also for other parts of the cruise? Should I pack both a winter coat AND a spring jacket?

Do I need rain gear? We're not planning anything outdoorsy, such as hiking or kayaking, but I'm thinking my rain pancho might be a good idea. Waterproof shoes? That was in the Top Ten list article I mentioned above.

On land, what should I expect? Will it to be warm enough for jeans, short sleeves, and light jacket or fleece? Is it possible it will be warm enough for shorts? Do I need long-sleeved shirts? I understand one can never really predict the weather, and I will check the weather in the ports before I pack, but just to get a general idea of what to expect would be helpful.

Is it chilly inside the ship (Coral Princess)? Will I need sweaters to wear in the theaters and dining room? Winter, spring, or summer pajamas? I assume we can control the temperature in our stateroom.

I like to pack light so I don't want to bring a lot of unnecessary clothing. Any (specific) help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Leave the winter coat at home. Everything else- yes, you need a wide range of attire for Alaska. I have no problem fitting my stuff in one bag (and not a large jumbo one either :) ), and I'm gone for multiple weeks. I don't do any formal nights and don't bring "dinner attire". In my opinion- YES you need that hat and gloves- if you are going to be outside on your ship. They take up so little room, it's not worth deciding if you'll use them or not, same with shorts.

There is NO point in "checking weather". It's going to be highly inaccurate, and if you depend on it for your "packing" a poor reference. As I already state, you are far better off with a wide range. Lined lightweight jacket, hat, gloves, sweatshirt rain gear (poncho fine) etc. indoor clothes.

Bulk is significantly cut down by doing laundry- which is a given with my trips.

Use SARCH THIS FORUM with 'packing' or 'clothes' and you'll find MANY responses to this popular question. ie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=87218839

Regardless of when you cruise in Alaska, you dress with 'layers' ..... ie tshirt, fleece pullover, and a hooded waterproof jacket.

The waterproof jacket is the most important. Being wet and cold will spoil any activity. A heavy coat is definitely not a good idea, not in a rain forest climate. Have your middle layer for warmth , a fleece, not the coat.

A hat/ski band and gloves are important if you're going on a small boat excursion and/or glacier viewing.

Bring a small daypack so you have somewhere to store your layers, plus camera, wallet, tour info, sunglasses, gloves, etc

Leave the poncho at home, instead bring a rain suit or at least a rain jacket. Don't worry about water proofing the shoes. It is over kill unless you are going to spend extensive time out doors in the woods. Layers are good, but for the bottom jeans alone are fine. The only time they might not be enough is if you are out on deck sailing near a glacier. A fleece, sweatshirts, a couple of bottom layers and you are good to go. We use wool for the bottom layer, then a shirt, topped with a north face. It is a good idea to bring both long and short sleeved shirts. Since you are going to Denali be sure and take a pair of shorts, it can easily reach 80 degrees.

If you get there and discover that you don't have the right clothes for warmth, in Ketchikan you can always stop at the Tongas Trading Company, right on the dock and get whatever you need at a price better than you will find at home (at least that is our experience.)

Edited by zqvol

We just returned from the same Alaskan ports. The weather was unseasonably warm. I took a water resistant jacket and just wore a long sleeve t-shirt underneath. We wore jeans into most of the ports and tennis shoes. You can always carry along some light gloves and a hat.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

You may not like it as an answer but the reason many of us who have answered this question multiple times with the word LAYERS is that the weather on this cruise is utterly unpredictable not only week to week but day to day and sometimes hour to hour. Take Ketchikan, on our first cruise balmy and sunny in Vancouver yet my son and I kayaked in a rainstorm. Lots of fun by the way. Last visit 80+ degrees and had to explain to the locals what that yellow ball in the sky was. So layers is not only for heat but also for rain, fog, etc. Also how each person does is quite different. Finally remember that the wind needs to be factored into your comfort as well. Be prepared to change not only over the course of the trip but over the course of the day.

Re interior temps: I usually bring a light shawl for dinners because I run a bit cold as a rule. During the day I'll wear a light hoodie sweatshirt that I can shed if needed - we often bring a light carry-bag (for camera, binocs, book, cards) that I can stuff it into if I'm wandering the ship on a scenic cruising day. I rarely use a hat but gloves are a must for Glacier Bay. Cabins have good temp controls so set it for whatever works best for you for sleep and dress accordingly.

Alaska is our favorite itinerary and the sail-away out of Vancouver under the Lions Gate bridge is great! We usually sleep with curtains open that first night so we can see the outline of the hillsides and trees when sailing through the Narrows. Have a wonderful cruise!

My answers seem to differ a bit from others, but perhaps that's due to where I'm from. I am used to sunny California where the expected high today is 95F, and I just got back from my first Alaska cruise two days ago where the temperature was certainly quite different. Also, I tend to run on the cold side a lot of the time.

Some info about the weather on our cruise...the first few days were very cold and windy (high in the 50s). The last half of the trip was much more sunny and warm (high in the mid 70s). Thankfully there was no rain.

I definitely used my warm hat, gloves, and scarf often. I didn't need them by afternoon, but in the mornings (before about noon) I was quite chilly, on and off the ship. I don't think I used them much on the warmer days. On the sunny days I was wearing sun hats to shade myself.

In the beginning of the trip, when it was much colder, I wore long underwear under jeans, a short or long sleeved shirt, a fleece zip-up, and a larger coat over that. People told me to leave the winter coat at home, but boy was I glad I decided to bring it! The temperatures weren't what got to me, it was the wind! I couldn't spend more than a couple of minutes out on deck without my big coat and warm hat to cover my ears.

On land, I was wearing pretty much the same thing in the beginning (it seemed especially cold at Mendenhall Glacier), but on the warmer days at the end of the trip I was no longer using the big coat and long underwear. So, jeans, a t-shirt, and my fleece jacket were adequate. The only time I wore short sleeves with no jacket was when I was walking around Ketchikan on an exceptionally warm and sunny day (for them).

If you are used to colder temperatures where you live, you can probably do without the larger coat. Most people I saw weren't wearing them, but I was very glad to have mine as the wind seemed to whip right through everything else I had on.

My answers seem to differ a bit from others, but perhaps that's due to where I'm from. I am used to sunny California where the expected high today is 95F, and I just got back from my first Alaska cruise two days ago where the temperature was certainly quite different. Also, I tend to run on the cold side a lot of the time.

Some info about the weather on our cruise...the first few days were very cold and windy (high in the 50s). The last half of the trip was much more sunny and warm (high in the mid 70s). Thankfully there was no rain.

I definitely used my warm hat, gloves, and scarf often. I didn't need them by afternoon, but in the mornings (before about noon) I was quite chilly, on and off the ship. I don't think I used them much on the warmer days. On the sunny days I was wearing sun hats to shade myself.

In the beginning of the trip, when it was much colder, I wore long underwear under jeans, a short or long sleeved shirt, a fleece zip-up, and a larger coat over that. People told me to leave the winter coat at home, but boy was I glad I decided to bring it! The temperatures weren't what got to me, it was the wind! I couldn't spend more than a couple of minutes out on deck without my big coat and warm hat to cover my ears.

On land, I was wearing pretty much the same thing in the beginning (it seemed especially cold at Mendenhall Glacier), but on the warmer days at the end of the trip I was no longer using the big coat and long underwear. So, jeans, a t-shirt, and my fleece jacket were adequate. The only time I wore short sleeves with no jacket was when I was walking around Ketchikan on an exceptionally warm and sunny day (for them).

If you are used to colder temperatures where you live, you can probably do without the larger coat. Most people I saw weren't wearing them, but I was very glad to have mine as the wind seemed to whip right through everything else I had on.

Thanks, tree.star, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I live in the northeast, but that doesn't mean I like the cold. I really don't do well when cool/cold is coupled with wind - it goes right through me. At least now I have a better idea of what I should bring. I think I'm going to leave my winter coat at home, though, and just make sure I have enough fleece, along thermal tops/underwear, so that I can stand the cold wind on deck. And I'm adding "scarf" to my packing list. Hopefully mid-June will be a tad warmer for us than mid-May was for you.

Some info:

Our last south bound AK cruise in 2013 started out cold and got progressively warmer. I ski so I packed like I do for a ski trip- Gore Tex shell, fleece zip up jacket, gloves, scarf, wool hat, baseball cap. I packed a cashmere cardigan which was lightweight but warm. I have snow sneakers from LL Bean that I brought which I wore on the cold days, otherwise wore sneakers for touring. I wore jeans most days. I had shorts that I wore in Vancouver. I packed a lot of long sleeve knit shirts and a few short sleeve shirts. I wish I had packed a few more short sleeve shirts- that day we did the White pass train it was 85!

A typical day I would start out wearing a long sleeve shirt,jeans, cardigan, fleece jacket and scarf. As it got warmer I shed-lol!

This trip I think I'm going to take my fleece vest in addition to my usual outerwear. Our trip is early in the season and the temps are looking to be in the 50-60's.

If you don't have a Gore Tex jacket, get one. It will keep you warm and dry.

Edited by gwt119

Your answer is SO helpful! Especially knowing you're from California, it helps put things in context. I'm from SoCal, so I have zero tolerance for cold weather. 65 degrees to me is unbearably cold. Now I have a better understanding of what layers I should be packing! Thank you!

Edited by mom02

Thanks, tree.star, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Your answer is SO helpful! Especially knowing you're from California, it helps put things in context. I'm from SoCal, so I have zero tolerance for cold weather. 65 degrees to me is unbearably cold. Now I have a better understanding of what layers I should be packing! Thank you!

No problem! The only other thing I forgot to mention that surprised me was how warm it got on the White Pass railway in Skagway. It was cold and windy, but the sun was out, and it came through the large train car windows and heated us up quite nicely. I ended up taking off my jackets during the trip.

Waterproof clothes are way more fashionable than a poncho and some other rain gear. Plus they can double as regular clothes when the sun is out. We went in September but the only day I needed winter clothes was when we visited Glacier Bay. I wore a long sleeve shirt, a fleece and my spring coat. My spring coat was a little on the heavy side but definitely not considered a winter coat , especially for a Northern State but not even here in Tennessee. I wore leggings under my jeans instead of bringing heavy pants. Those are also great because if your jeans get wet you're likely to still feel dry. we had such great weather I don't even know what to pack when we go back next year.

I did bring my scarf, gloves and a beanie. I wore all of them at Glacier Bay. But they were hardly anything to pack. So well worth it. I also brought two pairs of tennis shoes in case one got soaked. It never even rained the whole week we were there but better safe than sorry. I was really glad I did not invest in the waterproof tennis shoes on L.L.Bean.

Edited by Mrs.Gosse

Leave the winter coat at home.

Best to define what you mean by a winter coat. :D Winter in Atlanta is a little bit different from winter in upstate NY... :D

Edited by gpb11

We went towards the end of August last year and had some really rainy weather. I wore my light waterproof winter coat a few times. And a waterproof shell the rest. I wore water resistant sports pants a lot as they are comfy and dry fast. I wore mostly t-shirts and hoodies under my coats. I also wore my hat and gloves almost every day.

But in Sitka it was so nice I had light capris and a t-shirt on! You never know!

Thanks, tree.star, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I live in the northeast, but that doesn't mean I like the cold. I really don't do well when cool/cold is coupled with wind - it goes right through me.

If wind is a problem for you, I'd highly recommend getting a wind-proof fleece jacket, or wind-proof shell. For regular day-to-day life and not just Alaska. I picked up a wind-proof fleece at REI this winter and have worn it a ton. Recently purchased another one because I'm tired of sharing with my daughters who wanted to use it all the time as well. I'm planning to take this to Alaska with my waterproof raincoat. The two are thin and easy to pack and surprisingly warm together. Figure with a hat and a long underwear shirt underneath, I'll be good for even the Glacier Bay day.

How about shoes on mendenhall glacier/ dogsledding ?

Should we lug boots or just suck it up for a couple of hours in sneakers??

Thanks

An extra pair of sneakers would be good insurance in case the first pair get wet. They take a while to dry.

Any suggestions where o get a decent rain jacket for a reasonable price for trip to Alaska in July

REI-Outlet.com

Sports Authority is closing a lot of stores

Campmor

Cabelas

etc.