TSA delays getting worse at airports

K.T.B.

because 100 ml is such a common measure - so it makes sense to do that because it means that plenty of people can buy and carry 100 ml containers without difficulty.

That in itself may be some of the frustration that Americans have in that they do not use the metric system and don't necessarily understand the sizes. They also may not have access to 100ml or 1L packages as we do? Perhaps if, in the US, they allowed 3oz or 1qt containers they would understand more easily? Wouldn't help them travelling in the rest of the world though.

That in itself may be some of the frustration that Americans have in that they do not use the metric system and don't necessarily understand the sizes. They also may not have access to 100ml or 1L packages as we do? Perhaps if, in the US, they allowed 3oz or 1qt containers they would understand more easily?
But the TSA does allow these measures: the individual containers can be up to 3.4 fl oz (which of course allows containers that are exactly 3 fl oz). The baggie can be a quart or a litre - nobody judging these by eye (which is how it's done in the vast majority of cases) will be able to distinguish between them. So there ought to be no problems.

Of course, if the TSA doesn't train its staff to recognise that a 100 ml container is allowed by the rules, then there's a training problem there. But the fact that the system is sometimes operated badly doesn't mean that the system doesn't have a point or that it doesn't have real value.

That in itself may be some of the frustration that Americans have in that they do not use the metric system and don't necessarily understand the sizes. They also may not have access to 100ml or 1L packages as we do? Perhaps if, in the US, they allowed 3oz or 1qt containers they would understand more easily? Wouldn't help them travelling in the rest of the world though.

Where do you think the number "3" came from in the 3-1-1 rule. I'd also venture that you don't give many of us credit for basic knowledge or common sense. I learned the metic system in school, as I am sure many (most?) Americans did. Can I recite the conversion equations? No, but I can do some basic math knowing that there are 100 ml in a liter and a liter is roughly equivalent to a quart... 100 km is roughly equivalent to a mile, etc. As to temperatures, I just know that anything above 26 is hot and below 13 is cold, 18-22 is just right, and I can figure it out in between.

but I can do some basic math knowing that there are 100 ml in a liter and a liter is roughly equivalent to a quart... 100 km is roughly equivalent to a mile, etc. As to temperatures, I just know that anything above 26 is hot and below 13 is cold, 18-22 is just right, and I can figure it out in between.
Oops...

But your temp ranges are spot on, IMO.

Oops...

But your temp ranges are spot on, IMO.

Not enough coffee before posting ;). Should have been 100 km = roughly 60 miles or thereabouts and I missed a "0", should have been 1000 ml = liter.

Edited by ducklite