TSA delays getting worse at airports

K.T.B.

I realize this is not cruise line specific, but I am posting this here in hopes of it getting stickied or that the admins post something about it in the appropriate forum as I wasn't sure exactly where to post this:

The delays in getting through security in the airports is becoming insane. In Chicago this past weekend at both airports, the wait was upwards of 3+ hours. Many passengers actually missed their flight and spent the night there.

Here's a CNN article on the situation: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/13/aviation/tsa-long-lines-us-airports/

While I know many of us are fairly experienced when it comes to travelling, you may want to allow a lot more extra at the airport now. According the TSA, this is a situation that is not going to be quickly resolved. So summer travelling is going to be a real pain for us.

What's changed from last year? I've been reading that this whole thing has been manufactured in order to extort more funds from Congress for the TSA, meanwhile we all suffer.

Recommendation for all travelers: Get the TSA Precheck pass. If they still offer the GOES (works going through U.S. customs from some countries) get that. It will be one of the best $100 you'll ever spend.

You can Google it and start the process. Overall it took a couple of months for my husband and I. If the airport has it offered, you skip the long line into a much shorter one. No taking off your shoes, belts or jackets any more. Coming in from certain countries, e.g. Great Britain, same thing. Special kiosks that read your card and fingerprint, print a receipt type thing and you go right up to a customs officer while those poor other people wait in a line that seems to go on forever.

Once you get your card, put it on all your plane tickets. There is usually a spot for it. If not call the airline and have them put it on file. Then it prints right on your boarding pass.

Unfortunately we had a horrible experience in Miami in March. TSA pre-check line was only a few people shorter than the regular. ( they had shut it down for a while). Went to two other security check points while my husband waited in line--no better. Almost an hour to get through. Glad we had a later flight or we wouldn't have made it. It was a zoo.

What's changed from last year? I've been reading that this whole thing has been manufactured in order to extort more funds from Congress for the TSA, meanwhile we all suffer.

That is MY suspicion as well. Regardless, if this thread helps a few people, I'm happy. :)

TSA is worthless. ( only there to try and make you THINK you are safe). If one understands how airports work it is he easiest thing to bypass TSA and get on the ramp.

Edited by rvmike

Recommendation for all travelers: Get the TSA Precheck pass. If they still offer the GOES (works going through U.S. customs from some countries) get that. It will be one of the best $100 you'll ever spend.

You can Google it and start the process. Overall it took a couple of months for my husband and I. If the airport has it offered, you skip the long line into a much shorter one. No taking off your shoes, belts or jackets any more. Coming in from certain countries, e.g. Great Britain, same thing. Special kiosks that read your card and fingerprint, print a receipt type thing and you go right up to a customs officer while those poor other people wait in a line that seems to go on forever.

Once you get your card, put it on all your plane tickets. There is usually a spot for it. If not call the airline and have them put it on file. Then it prints right on your boarding pass.

You can't always count on TSA Pre-check. I have Nexus and I absolutely adore all of the perks that come with it, but I've run into multiple situations in the US where I was Pre-check eligible and the line was THERE but closed, forcing us to wait in 1-2 hour security lines instead. :mad:

I don't disagree that there are major TSA issues, but...

Yes, those of us on here are generally pretty well-traveled and well-versed in the line thing (not discussing Pre-Check as has been pointed out those are not always open), BUT the more I fly the more I have come to believe we are the minority.

I flew to Toronto over Spring Break from Newark. I ALWAYS make it a point to be there super early as I'd rather sit and read or something than be stressed. Well, I got in the middle of horribleness (Pre-Check NOT open). There was a family from somewhere other than the US who had big bottles of sunscreen and other stuff in their bag, didn't take off belts, etc. Get them through finally. Then I discover that I am in the midst of a group of college kids (given that some were later drinking in the bar they had to have been college at least) heading somewhere tropical who were AS clueless. The boys in front of me left water bottles in their backpacks, one had tossed a brand-new unopened bottle of mouthwash and unopened tube of toothpaste in the bin all full-sized, again with the failure to remove belts, etc. They got through the scanner and it was my turn - where I stood, jacket and shoes off and in bin, plastic baggie of small liquids out and in bin, laptop out of backpack and in bin, all set. The TSA agent grinned (I know, it surprised me too) and said "You must be a frequent traveller!"

Then she signed when she saw the line-up of "kids" in the college group behind me. I think it was a LONG morning for her!

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

A TSA fiasco in Phoenix resulted in 3,000 checked bags being left behind. I can just imagine how that would affect getting to a cruise. They said it would take three days for the luggage to catch up.:eek::eek:

Article: http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/airlines-airports/bags-stranded-phoenix-tsa

Now PHX is considering hiring a private firm and getting rid of TSA.

Cheers!

I think they're blaming the checked luggage fees, which force people to use carry on's and hold up security checks.

We have had checked baggage fees for many years now, nothing new, I agree with previous post that this is just to get more funds.

We have had checked baggage fees for many years now, nothing new, I agree with previous post that this is just to get more funds.

Over a year ago, TSA began a push to have more people in Pre-Check, in the interests of expediting security. Their expectation was that, by this time, there would be approximately 25 million people in the program, greatly reducing the workload at the security check points. To that end, around 4,600 TSA positions were cut in anticipation of the lesser workload.

Unfortunately, the prediction was inaccurate. There are about 9 million people in Pre-Check, less than half of the number anticipated. Consequently, the security checkpoints are backed up because of the lack of screeners. The answer is to hire more, but that is not an instantaneous function.

I strongly recommend Global Entry (GOES). It is $100 for five years and includes Pre-Check as well as expedited passport control on re-entering the US. If you fly two round trips per year, that is $5 per security screening to get put in the Pre-Check line.

Unfortunately TSA Pre-check lanes are not always open, so counting on getting through security quickly with Pre-Check can backfire.

True....

I had TSA precheck on my ticket for my last flight. I walked up to the line and the TSA agent said, we're closed. He must have read the look on my face as he said, ok ... last one. I made it but if 30 seconds later, I would have been out of luck.

I strongly recommend Global Entry (GOES). It is $100 for five years and includes Pre-Check as well as expedited passport control on re-entering the US. If you fly two round trips per year, that is $5 per security screening to get put in the Pre-Check line.

That is not true. Global entry does NOT always include TSA precheck.

TSA Pre✓®

Are You Eligible?

Global entry members are eligible to participate in TSA Precheck Logo. U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents enrolled in NEXUS or SENTRI are also eligible to participate in TSA Precheck Logo, as well as Canadian citizens who are members of NEXUS.

We have Global Entry (GOES), and it's the best travel money we've ever spent. Not only did it save us from missing our flight to FLL on Sunday of Spring Break, it's tremendous when flying into Houston from overseas. All the international flights into Houston tend to arrive about the same time, and customs/immigration can be a mess. With a driver (not having to get our car from long term parking), we've been home in just under an hour after we landed. We would have still been waiting in an immigration line without it!

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over a year ago, TSA began a push to have more people in Pre-Check, in the interests of expediting security. Their expectation was that, by this time, there would be approximately 25 million people in the program, greatly reducing the workload at the security check points. To that end, around 4,600 TSA positions were cut in anticipation of the lesser workload.

Unfortunately, the prediction was inaccurate. There are about 9 million people in Pre-Check, less than half of the number anticipated. Consequently, the security checkpoints are backed up because of the lack of screeners. The answer is to hire more, but that is not an instantaneous function.

Agree.

100 TSA screeners walk off the job each week requiring even more people to be hired and trained. Also TSA was embarrassed last year when undercover investigators were 95% successful smuggling mock explosives past screeners, causing them to tighten up security.

Applied for and received GOES earlier this year in surprisingly painless proccess. No more taking off shoes. As an added bonus global entry is supposed to be in place at cruise ports later this year hopefully expediting debarkation.

On May 5th went through screening in Amsterdam and Atlanta. The differences in attitude and professionalism were stringing. The screeners in Amesterdam were polite and professional. Me asked my DW to open a bag . His voice was calm and pleasant. My line in Atlanta went faily smoothly, but the line to my left featured on TSA employee yelling at and belittling passengers. It would have been called "verbal abuse" if a parent treated a youngster as this agent treated the passengers. The screeners in Atlanta were also screaming at passengers as they stood in the scan machines. Not all problems can be solved with just more money!

Agree.

As an added bonus global entry is supposed to be in place at cruise ports later this year hopefully expediting debarkation.

Global Entry was available at Port Everglades in January. We took advantage of it - reports on this board indicate its been a bit hit and miss.

We got our GOES (Global Entry) last year and it is money well spent. It does give you TSA Pre also. While there are times the TSA Pre line is also long, most of the time, it is much faster because no shoes, belts off, no computer out of the briefcase/backpack.

The big issue during summer is all the people that are not used to traveling. MOST of the time this is not the case in the TSA Pre lines. So that helps too.

DO plan ahead, though. To get a GOES card, you need a personal interview at a participating airport after your online application is approved. At some airports you can get an appointment the next week. At SFO and LAX last year, it was over 4 months for the next appointment. (we ended up getting appointments at another airport that we had access to).

DH and I have been given Pre Check through Delta since it started. We've never paid to enroll so I realize that should we book a different airline - we would not have it. As we fly Delta out of Ft Myers - where the lines can be long during the tourist season - it is very helpful - most of the time.

What has been happening lately is that if you book an early morning flight - the Pre Check lane is not open - so while they feed you to the check point faster - you loose some of the other perks. They'll hand you a green card which allows you to keep your shoes but your computer must come out along with liquids. I'm glad we haven't purchased Pre Check because often times it isn't open.

We got our GOES (Global Entry) last year and it is money well spent. It does give you TSA Pre also. While there are times the TSA Pre line is also long, most of the time, it is much faster because no shoes, belts off, no computer out of the briefcase/backpack.

The big issue during summer is all the people that are not used to traveling. MOST of the time this is not the case in the TSA Pre lines. So that helps too.

DO plan ahead, though. To get a GOES card, you need a personal interview at a participating airport after your online application is approved. At some airports you can get an appointment the next week. At SFO and LAX last year, it was over 4 months for the next appointment. (we ended up getting appointments at another airport that we had access to).

Agree

I travel with laptop and cpap machine. Being able to leave them in bag plus keeping belt, shoes etc on is huge.

From submission of online app to receiving GOES card took me three weeks. "interview" at EWR was much less scary than it sounds. Couple of easy questions and approved. They had 5 agents on duty, in and out in 10 minutes. The $100 fee will probably dissuade most folks though.

I applied for and received Global Entry a few months ago. It was one of the best things I ever did! Even when the line for pre-check is on the longer side, it is always comprised of experienced travelers and the added benefit of not needing to unpack everything and take off shoes, belt, etc.

Port Everglades also has Global Entry for customs which saved us a ton of time!