Crab onboard on Alaska intinerary?

love2driveinct

I've been looking into restaurants in port and it got me wondering... will there be a lot of Alaskan-themed food served in the MDR on my cruise? We are especially interested in salmon and crab, of course.

I'm wondering if I should be looking for a restaurant that serves these things, or if that won't really matter since we'll have it on the ship, anyway.

Any thoughts?

I would imagine that any seafood served on the Alaska cruise is sourced from some large corporate food company. Grilled salmon is available every night in the MDR but it's frozen and appears to be farmed Atlantic salmon. If you really want local seafood,then I would dine at a seafood restaurant that specializes in local products.

I would imagine that any seafood served on the Alaska cruise is sourced from some large corporate food company. Grilled salmon is available every night in the MDR but it's frozen and appears to be farmed Atlantic salmon. If you really want local seafood,then I would dine at a seafood restaurant that specializes in local products.

I've never tried the salmon from the MDR every day menu but when we were on Eclipse in March I went to a fish cooking demonstration. One of the items was salmon and the chef said all of Celebrity's salmon is wild caught from the west coast. He also said they were phasing out warm water lobsters in favor of New England lobster. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else but guess I'll find out in December.

Ha! Interesting.

We get plenty of lobster here on the Connecticut shoreline. :)

But we all love some good crab and are hopeful we get to partake at least once or twice. I will definitely look for a restaurant that serves it, just to be sure we get to enjoy some.

Definitely seek it out on a land based restaurant; Celebrity unfortunately does not locally source food (aside from Xpedition in Galapagos). The only exception I've seen in Alaska is a handful of Alaskan beers are available on board. Don't expect crab to be inexpensive in Alaska though - it is still a hefty price tag - but certainly can be quite a treat.