Waiting until close to sail date to book?

beacha

Does anyone have opinions about waiting to book a cruise until close to sailing date? I am looking at the Sunshine from Norfolk , VA to the Bahamas on June 10, 2016. Right now there are several cabins available, but the price for an inside is over $800, which is a lot for a five day vacation. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

Right now, there are only three insides left (and one of them is a Spa cabin on deck 11) on the sailing you mentioned.

I'd decide quickly if $800 is still too steep before they are gone. I'm surprised there are any left this close to sailing.

Edited by KevInPitt

It used to be that last minute cruises could be booked for a killer discount ...

but that was before all the lines started using software with an Algorithm for pricing that responds to supply and demand and after 6 months or so out the prices seem to go up rather than down. Example - 6 months ago our Sunshine Cruise for summer balcony was $600 - same cabin class is now $800.

this isn't a scientific response ... just observations my husband and I have made over the years.

It's rare to get a deal out of Norfolk, since cruises from there are so limited. I've gotten great deals out of Florida ports...

If you are set on Norfolk, you probably should go on and book it. Doubtful that the prices will decrease.

Well, I did reserve a cabin for this cruise from Norfolk on the Sunshine. It is our 40th anniversary. I am looking forward to cruising very soon! We have never booked one so close to sail date!

I agree with your unscientific thoughts! The last time I thought I got a great deal on a last minute booking was the end of 2014. Now the are usually higher at the end and one I was looking at sold out while I waited. You were smart to book if you wanted to go then!