New Zealand 12 day Cruise with Aft Cabin or 14 day with Tazmania stop?

dahkeh

We are currently booked on a 12 day Australian Cruise in November 2017. I have a AQ aft cabin with a view that is unparalleled. I am considering switching to a 14 day cruise as it stops in Tasmania. This is our first trip to NZ/ Australia and we are doing scouting for retirement homes. Any thoughts?

We are currently booked on a 12 day Australian Cruise in November 2017. I have a AQ aft cabin with a view that is unparalleled. I am considering switching to a 14 day cruise as it stops in Tasmania. This is our first trip to NZ/ Australia and we are doing scouting for retirement homes. Any thoughts?

As much as I love when I snag a coveted cabin, I would never pick my itinerary based on it. Since you have motives for your trip other than an amazing cruise, is Tasmania in your consideration for a retirement home? Do the two extra days give you any other changes that fit with your long term plans?

I also would assume either one is a rather port intensive itinerary. I love the balcony, and really love the aft balcony, but find it doesn't get nearly as much use when I'm on/off the ship every day.

Just one opinion ;)

In my opinion AUS/NZ is not wat I would call a port intensive itinerary. You have several days at sea. So it is all to personal taste. If you want to see as much as possible from this part of the world switch to the cruise that includes Tasmania. I loved my port stop there. You may wish to read my review (see signature). On page 3 I translated my German blog into English and I also provided a link to a picture slide show that includes Tasmania.

We did the 14 day that stopped in Hobart and it ended up being one of our favorite ports. I'm sure it depends on what (if any) tour you take. But our private tour had a great mix of sightseeing, hitting local spots, and hiking with a great guide. The island has an interesting history. I wouldn't mind going back for a longer stay.

Tasmania rules! You may have many further opportunities to sail in a coveted cabin on future cruises, but how often will you get to Tasmania? And if you do decide go to Tasmania, be sure to have fish and chips at Fish Frenzy on one of the piers in Hobart. I still can't believe I polished off (inhaled) an entire order. Spectacular!

Betsy

Tasmania rules! You may have many further opportunities to sail in a coveted cabin on future cruises, but how often will you get to Tasmania? And if you do decide go to Tasmania, be sure to have fish and chips at Fish Frenzy on one of the piers in Hobart. I still can't believe I polished off (inhaled) an entire order. Spectacular!

Betsy

Yep great Fish and chips at Constitution docks.

But as much as I hate to say it Kiwis do some pretty good Fush and Chups too.

• 4 weeks later...

Great move. We did a 12 night last November that included Tasmanian and we loved it. Check out EyeSeeTasmania tours. They do small groups and are locally owned and operated. One note, when we went in early November it was their spring time and we saw some rainy, cool days. Not great for sitting out on the balcony all of the time but it was still one of our favorite cruises. If you are stopping in Dunedin and want to do the train trip, consider the ship's tour, the train comes right to the ship and that makes the transfer much easier.