Boston to Bermuda...how rough?

CanadaDeb

Hi,

My mom and I am contemplating sailing to Bermuda on the Veendam in June of next year. This would be my mom's first cruise and she is afraid of rough waters...so my question is, even though no two sailings are the same, what would be a typical sailing? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hi,

My mom and I am contemplating sailing to Bermuda on the Veendam in June of next year. This would be my mom's first cruise and she is afraid of rough waters...so my question is, even though no two sailings are the same, what would be a typical sailing? Thanks for any advice you can give.

There is absolutely no way to answer that. I see you have cruised before, so I'm not sure if you have ever been in very significant seas....but it can happen in the Caribbean , the Mediterranean or the North Atlantic. To make a representation otherwise would be to do your mom a disservice My only advice is to be prepared, get her some patches so that she feels secure, and just hope for the best. I was terribly afraid to go on a cruise becuse I felt I would get seasick......I have been on more than 20 cruises since 2007 and I have been in some big storms.....I have only been sick once for a few hours and we were in the Caribbean with a hurricane.......it gets very choppy out of NY or Boston sometimes......but its not that big of a deal most of the time.

People are affected differently by motion. What one person may not even really notice (or might actually enjoy) can make another nauseous. Take the advice previously given; with luck, your mother may be one of those people who isn't affected and will soon be pestering you to sign up for another cruise. My wife and I did the Veendam to Bermuda out of NYC five years ago (it was her first cruise) and I was relieved that she actually enjoyed the brief period of mild rocking and rolling we encountered; she found it quite pleasant and said it helped her get to sleep, like being in a crib. I didn't tell her about the weird corkscrew motion I once endured on a friend's sailboat, nor will I mention it here...

Edited by Langoustine

Book a midship location on the lower passenger deck, where it's subject to the least in terms of vertical (pitching up & down) and horizontal (sideway) motion - and, be prepared. And, have faith & trust in the ship's captain and officers in navigation for safe passage as smooth as conditions can be - sea conditions and mother nature cannot guarantee.

Avoid the upper deck if waves and seas are rough & high, like not going to the buffet to eat as most lines put them high & mid/aft these days. Every sailing is different, including those out to Bermuda - been out there 3X out of NYC and we wouldn't be doing this again this Sunday on #4 if we are fearful ... when the going gets tough, hold on to the railings and hand guards along the corridors.

We've sailed to Bermuda out of NY or NJ well over 20 times in the past 30 yrs. We're saiing next month on the "Veendam" out Boston because we think docking in Hamilton is way, way better than Kings' Wharf, but that's an entirely separate issue. Anyway....some times it's been smooth as glass, sometimes it was a bit rocky and windy. NY/NJ or Boston to Bermuda is pretty much going to be similar. Bottom line....there is no way you can tell what the weather or the seas will be like.

We have always had great sailing when we've gone in May and June. September and October are another story. Like everyone says, just be prepared. I use Bonine and start taking it the evening before we set sail (just in case), and every evening during the cruise, even if I have a couple of cocktails. If she has never used anything, have her try it BEFORE you leave in order to feel the effect it will have on her. My sister can only tolerate 1/2 tablet.

• 3 weeks later...

Have your mom check with her doctor to see if she can tolerate Bonine patches or other sea-sick meds. Make sure they will be able to co-mingle with any meds she might be taking.

I need to take Bonine before boarding buses in Bermuda. The way they take the curves in the road, produces motion sickness for me. The ferries give a much smoother ride.

• 2 weeks later...