Royal Carribean - Pricing Error advice

amseco

Hey hope everyone is doing well today!

Wanted to ask and see if anyone has experienced anything similar to my situation.

I booked a CruiseTour this past Friday on Royal Caribbean's website. The Revenue department called me this afternoon and informed me that there was a pricing error on the CruiseTour so I was only charged at the advertised price of $419/person instead of the $2,900/person. They said the $419 price was supposed to be advertised for the cruise portion only, and was instead advertised for the CruiseTour package. They admitted that it was their mistake but would not honor the price.

I paid in full on Friday and they offered a $100 credit if I kept the cruise portion only. They said only a handful were affected by this pricing error. I was wondering if this was a fair offer or if there's anyway to get them to honor? I have screenshots of the ordering pricing with the advertised price of $419/person.

Thanks in Advance!

Here's a thread from last year on this very topic, not coincidentally also regarding RCI:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2280036&highlight=contract

(It is quite long and full of technical advice of uncertain accuracy, so I'll try to summarize...)

Basically the leagalese on the website (that you tacitly agree to just by visiting it) states that in the case of online error or failure RCI can refare or cancel you without recourse. And no arguing that their originally accepting your booking at the posted price constitutes a binding contract--because the terms of such contract, if it does exist, state that you agree up front that RCI can arbitrarily break it!

So you can either accept their offer of $100 OBC or take your business elsewhere.

Edited by fishywood

We are having a similar issues with our honeymoon Cruise. We booked for 14 days but either the travel agent on cruise line has booked us for a 7 day cruise instead and now wanting more than double the original price we were quoted when we booked. I am not sure about what Cruise Lines offer as compensation as right now we just want to know where the mistake happened and to discuss the options open to us as paying double is not an option as we have just bought a house, a new car and getting married this year so you can imagine there is a lot of expenses.

Hope you can get something sorted.

We are having a similar issues with our honeymoon Cruise. We booked for 14 days but either the travel agent on cruise line has booked us for a 7 day cruise instead and now wanting more than double the original price we were quoted when we booked. I am not sure about what Cruise Lines offer as compensation as right now we just want to know where the mistake happened and to discuss the options open to us as paying double is not an option as we have just bought a house, a new car and getting married this year so you can imagine there is a lot of expenses.

Hope you can get something sorted.

It will be the travel agent's responsibility to sort this out and in doing so they should provide you with the original booking records indicating what transacted between them and the cruise line. Without knowing more detail, based on your comment of double the price it would seem as though only one week was in consideration all along and that now the price reflects the second week added. Unless this would be a 14 day single itinerary most cruise lines consider your 14 day cruise as two single 7 day back to back cruises and maybe that is part of the confusion.

It would seem likely the error rests with the TA as the cruise line would only book that which they receive and it would seem unusual that they would somehow miss a second 7 day segment. As to compensation, I would not expect anything from the cruise line line unless it can be shown that they somehow made the error, but what that would be would be difficult to predict.

I would press the TA for all of their records regarding the booking and maybe contact the cruise line as well for their perspective. Good luck - hope it all works out.

Post this on the main RCL board for a wider audience. However, it is a huge price difference and it's likely that RCL will not give it to you. That happened with some cruise prices last year. In one case they honored the price because it wasn't totally unrealistic, but the other price was totally unrealistic and they did not honor it.

Hey hope everyone is doing well today!

Wanted to ask and see if anyone has experienced anything similar to my situation.

I booked a CruiseTour this past Friday on Royal Caribbean's website. The Revenue department called me this afternoon and informed me that there was a pricing error on the CruiseTour so I was only charged at the advertised price of $419/person instead of the $2,900/person. They said the $419 price was supposed to be advertised for the cruise portion only, and was instead advertised for the CruiseTour package. They admitted that it was their mistake but would not honor the price.

I paid in full on Friday and they offered a $100 credit if I kept the cruise portion only. They said only a handful were affected by this pricing error. I was wondering if this was a fair offer or if there's anyway to get them to honor? I have screenshots of the ordering pricing with the advertised price of $419/person.

Thanks in Advance!

So, you took the screen shots because you knew that the price was a mistake. And now you want them to give you the cruisetour even though you knew it wasn't a valid price at the time you booked it? Were you using the word "honor" in reference to you or Royal?

or if there's anyway to get them to honor? I have screenshots of the ordering pricing with the advertised price of $419/person.

Thanks in Advance!

Are you prepare to hire a lawyer and take RCL to court over this? Only you can decide what is fair or acceptable to you.

Post this on the main RCL board for a wider audience. However, it is a huge price difference and it's likely that RCL will not give it to you. That happened with some cruise prices last year. In one case they honored the price because it wasn't totally unrealistic, but the other price was totally unrealistic and they did not honor it.

Airlines occasionally make giant website price errors that, while short lived until fixed, are often honored if you paid the advertised price. I've seen it happen a few times (over many years) on United.

Airlines occasionally make giant website price errors that, while short lived until fixed, are often honored if you paid the advertised price. I've seen it happen a few times (over many years) on United.

Right.

UA had some ridiculously low pricing online, but they were errors.

However, UA honored those who ticketed while those low prices were available.

I'd guess that they got a LOT of good PR from that, as it was very widely reported at the time.