Cabin choice for Zaandam around the horn March 2017?

popcan

Hello CC friends,

We are about to book the 14 day segment "South America Passage" from BA to Valparaiso in March 2017.

We are not new cruisers, getting close to 4 stars with HAL, however we normally book verandahs or neptune cabins. This will be the first time we will book an outside ocean view cabin. Do you have any recommendation on which one will be a good bet in terms of noise, convenience, view to outside, or any other considerations?

Would you prefer deck 2, or choose deck 3 for quick access to the promenade?

Your ideas and input welcome!

Thanks!

I did that cruise this past March. You can check for my posts.

You will be disappointed with any regular window room if you are use to verandah and better. I had a prime room on deck 2, port side. We had to go to either an open deck or Crows Nest to view the scenery which is often spectacular. If the weather is as cool and windy as it usually is down there, you won't like being on an open deck for long. The Crows Nest will be quite full .

Our friends had a Neptune, which they got with an upsell offer, and they were very pleased with.

You will be disappointed with any regular window room if you are use to verandah and better.

Well, that is what we want to find out, one way or the other ... So if there are some cabins better than others (for one reason or another) we'd like to hear about them.

Edited by popcan

Your choices are all low on the ship, and this can be an advantage if the seas get rough---which is more than possible on parts of that route. I would recommend choosing one between the forward and aft elevators.

The beds are under the window, so you can't walk right up to the window to look out. If the beds are separated you can get closer than if they are set up as a queen bed.

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade Deck are smaller than the outsides on the lower two decks. They have the big advantage of being right there when you want to get outside quickly. If you choose a cabin on this deck, stay between the forward and mid-ship elevators. The area between the mid-ship and aft is under the galley, which can be noisy during the night.

The outside cabins on Main Deck are directly below the promenade. Although people aren't supposed to run or jog on that deck, some will. There can be some heavy walkers, too. Otherwise, you're between two passenger decks, so it is fairly quiet.

The lowest deck is above crew areas. I've never stayed down there, but have been friendly with people who did. They were pleased with the cabins, and I never heard any complaints of noise.

You will be disappointed with any regular window room if you are use to verandah and better.

Maybe not. I was disappointed with verandah cabins after having ocean-views. Different people like and want different things in their cabins. Just because some people are disappointed with those people perceive as a lesser cabin doesn't mean everyone will be.

I always book ocean-view cabins, with windows not portholes, on the lowest passenger deck. I like the room size, I like the layout, the fact that I can leave my curtains open, and the fact that I can hear docking and anchor noises. I also felt that a balcony was wasted on me in ports where the dock was on the opposite side to me. I like to see what's happening at the port, so even if I have a balcony, I'm more often than not on the promenade deck to see everything I possibly can.

The other good thing about the lower down cabin for me is that there is less motion. The top-to-bottom back & forth really bothers me, so being low down minimizes that (because the angle on lower decks is less than on higher decks). Balcony cabins are usually on higher decks, and suffer more from the motion that makes me queasy.

Better cabins are in the eye of the occupier.

I think Ruth C summed it up quite well. Low and mid-ship will be best for rough seas. If you can put up with the shorter room and having a loveseat instead of a full size couch the Lower Promenade would be great for proximity to the outside.

We did the round the horn cruise in a lowest level OV and liked the spaciousness of the room, but try for one near the elevator to make it easier on yourselves getting to the scenery.

Bring lots of layers. I packed thin layers and they worked well. Have warm hats and gloves. I also use a gauzy scarf, very light, thin but warm when needed. A rain/wind jacket will be important, as will be good shoes. While viewing the glaciers we spent nearly all day on deck and they brought us blankets to wrap up in. It was a magnificent day. Happy planning, m--

Thanks for all your thoughts on this - we've booked the trip now, and look forward to the experiment! (Oceanview D on the lower promenade, midship st'bd side.).

I was just on the Zaandam. We originally booked on the LP deck and then got upgraded to the Main Deck. We loved the cabin on Main Deck. As Ruth stated it is slightly larger than those on LP. One thing we really noticed was that it was brighter too. On the LP deck, the cabins are a little darker because there is the promenade deck and the ship structure. You cannot look out your window and see the ocean without looking past those things. On a lower deck, the room is brighter and one can see how the seas are right from the window.

In fact, we enjoyed our room so much, that I switched our room, from LP to the same cabin that we just had, for another cruise in Feb/17.

In fact, we enjoyed our room so much, that I switched our room, from LP to the same cabin that we just had, for another cruise in Feb/17.

Interesting!