Canal Cruise

My DW and I are planning our first canal cruise in the fall of 2017. The itineraries are not as yet released so we don't know if we would be leaving from Seattle or Vancouver. Either way, we plan to visit each city pre cruise for a few days and are very much looking forward to it. We have not been to the ports on the west coast of Mexico and Central America, so I plan to research those here on cruise critic and elsewhere.

We usually sail an aft balcony and plan to do so on this voyage. We will be three star Mariners for this sailing, so we will avail ourselves of the perks that go with that, mostly with the specialty restaurants.

So all that said, any tips, tricks, thoughts, suggestions from those of you who may have done this itinerary are greatly appreciated. Thank to all so much!!

Try to read David McCullough's book "The Path Between the Seas" before...you will get more out of your trip that way.

Also, if you stop in Guatemala, try to do the trip to Antigua (on your own...they provide a bus to the town, but you have free time there.) It was one of the most charming trips we've done.

Love the Panama Canal cruises...

Enjoy it! It will be a hot day! :-)

We have done quite a few full transits -- both directions and on different cruise lines.

One thing on HAL -- the day you go through the canal is the only morning they make the Panama Buns -- JMO -- but we love them.

It will be hot and humid -- drink plenty of water. Wear a hat -- put on sun screen. And don't stay outside the entire day.

Try to read David McCullough's book "The Path Between the Seas" before...you will get more out of your trip that way.

Also, if you stop in Guatemala, try to do the trip to Antigua (on your own...they provide a bus to the town, but you have free time there.) It was one of the most charming trips we've done.

Thanks for the book tip! :)

And be sure to see Cartagena if that is one of your stops!

We did a group walking tour through the Old City, and it was great - but we could have done it on our own just as easily, and had more time to explore and photograph this historic place!

Many people were afraid to get off the ship because of some bad reviews on the interweb, but contrary to popular belief, there are NOT cartel gang members waiting behind every corner to kidnap you. :D

We really want to go back there again. It's a beautiful old city!

P1040429.jpg[/img] P1040406.jpg[/img]

Edited by popcan

Great idea and a very detailed book of the Canal. BUT, be advised it is a very long read, so do not wait to start it only just before you sail (like we did!).

Great idea and a very detailed book of the Canal. BUT, be advised it is a very long read, so do not wait to start it only just before you sail (like we did!).

Yes thank you it's on my radar screen. I'm currently reading his biography of Teddy Roosevelt which is also a good read but also a tad wordy. I will read it before we go.

Edited by Cruzin with BQ & CQ

On the day you transit the canal move around the ship frequently to get different perspectives. Try to be on the Promenade deck at one of the locks to get a close-up view of how much the ship is being raised or lowered.

HAL usually has a canal lecturer brought on board before they enter the canal. Have had really excellent ones and a few that were just so-so on many cruises thru the canal. Even though I have been thru several times, it is still fascinating, especially when you realize that it is >100 years old! Except for lunch, 1 talked for the entire transit and started with the history of the canal, the politics then and now, the advances in so many fields that resulted form the canal - it was so great! Hopefully you will get the great lecturer. You can hear the lectures on the outside decks. Enjoy!

Once you have ports, come back again and cc'ers can help with what to do. btw, the Hop On Hop Off bus in Panama City was decent and a great way to see a lot in a short time in port. It comes to the pier but not until about 10 am.