Live/Semi-Live review Explorer of the Seas May 20, 2016

Special thanks to Kinny for providing pics, tips, and for helping me get more and more excited about our upcoming cruise on the Explorer.

And you're right, a cruise trumps the office any day of the week and it's what I make of it. I've been on 3 cruises and admittedly, I don't remember the ships but what I do remember are the memories I made with awesome fellow cruisers and my travel companions.

Cheers!

Hi Kinny,

I really enjoyed reading your review of the Explorer of the Seas Alaska cruise. From what I read it sounds like nice jeans are okay in the dining room on casual nights?

I also want to know if the men need a sport coat on formal nights or if they can wear dress pants, button up shirt and a tie. We also have teenage boys in the group who don't want to bring a sports coat.

Any advice on the dress is appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Dress pants and button up shirt is fine. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonderful trip. Of course there were some minor hiccups, but nothing that would ruin the trip.

I didn't order the lobster, personally not my favorite and there was something on the menu that I liked better. Our waiter did say something about them (maybe shortage) when he was taking orders, but he did bring more to those who did order. No shrimp cocktail, but there was several shrimp dishes during the week. I expect if someone had requested shrimp cocktail, it would have been delivered.

I'm not a picky eater, so I pretty much liked everything in the dining room and Windjammer. I was also glad the bread wasn't hard as a rock this time and the butter wasn't frozen. I've always wondered "what are they thinking", bread cold and hard as a rock and then having cold/frozen butter on the table to serve on that bread.

The only thing on the menu that made me do a double take, was the fish dish on the last night. I was looking forward to that, I think it's usually called something like "surf & turf", but this time it was 2 fish filets laying on top of a mound of mashed potatoes. Oh, but those fish filets looked & tasted just like the Gordon's Fish Filets I buy in the grocery store, frozen food section...not what I would have expected on a cruise. That's what I have when I'm in a hurry.

Kenny, your pictures are wonderful. You have several that I missed taking and yours are such better quality. Do you share for those of us or is there a way I can print copies of some of yours for my scrapbook? I really need the one from Meet & Mingle.

Did anyone take any of the Whale watching excursions? I'd like to hear about them and see pictures.

Hello,

My pics are on Flickr.

https://www.flic.kr/s/aHskAe6heY

If you need the photos at higher resolutions, you can send me an email kinnylee@yahoo.com. I will be happy to send them to you.

Absolutely Awesome Kinny!!! Thanks so much for giving my wife and a "taste" of what we'll be experiencing in 40 days.. I cant wait.. Thanks for the TEASE!! lol..

You are welcome. [emoji16]

Absolutely Awesome Kinny!!! Thanks so much for giving my wife and a "taste" of what we'll be experiencing in 40 days.. I cant wait.. Thanks for the TEASE!! lol..

I completely agree Kinney! Great review!! Im so excited for our cruise next year! I though the menus were great and your review had a little bit of something for everyone! Cant wait to take our kids on their first cruise! You're amazing, Kinney! Cheers!

I completely agree Kinney! Great review!! Im so excited for our cruise next year! I though the menus were great and your review had a little bit of something for everyone! Cant wait to take our kids on their first cruise! You're amazing, Kinney! Cheers!

Thanks! I appreciate it. [emoji106]

Hi. I am leaving on the June 10th cruise and I am struggling trying to figure out what clothes to pack. I have the formal nights figured out but I am at a loss weather wise for the rest of the time. I am bringing work out clothes but do I need knee length or ankle length workout pants? Is it really cold on the track deck? Is it too cold for shorts? Weather forecast says rain pretty much everyday (at least some of each day). Should I leave the white sundress home and just bring jeans? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have only cruised on tropical cruises so a cold weather cruise is new to me.

Hi. I am leaving on the June 10th cruise and I am struggling trying to figure out what clothes to pack. I have the formal nights figured out but I am at a loss weather wise for the rest of the time. I am bringing work out clothes but do I need knee length or ankle length workout pants? Is it really cold on the track deck? Is it too cold for shorts? Weather forecast says rain pretty much everyday (at least some of each day). Should I leave the white sundress home and just bring jeans? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have only cruised on tropical cruises so a cold weather cruise is new to me.

Dress in layers is what I've been told and that is correct in my 7 days experience. I've seen people run in shorts on Deck 12 track, but it's not something I would do. :D The treadmill at the gym is a much better alternative plus you still get a view. There were windy days when I see people walking by the peek-a-boo bridge fighting against the wind. It's hilarious. :D I think sundress is still appropriate inside the promenade and jeans are definitely recommended.

Hi Kinny,

I love your review and pics...thank you, thank you, thank you! Would you mind commenting on the movies? I read on the RCL site that there is a 3d movie theatre on the boat but haven't seen anyone post or mention it. I also saw in one of your pics movies being played out on the pool deck but didn't see many folks out there with you. Not sure how cold it was but would love to enjoy some movies with the kids when I'm onboard.

Hi Kinny,

I love your review and pics...thank you, thank you, thank you! Would you mind commenting on the movies? I read on the RCL site that there is a 3d movie theatre on the boat but haven't seen anyone post or mention it. I also saw in one of your pics movies being played out on the pool deck but didn't see many folks out there with you. Not sure how cold it was but would love to enjoy some movies with the kids when I'm onboard.

Yes, I would love to hear about this as well. Do they give you blankets? I heard they do not give popcorn or hot chocolate. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Kinny,

Hello,

They play movie at the theatre as well. I am not sure if any of them are in 3D though. It is cold outside but people are hanging by the hot tub. The pic you see might be early in the morning like 5AM. The only movies I remember is How To Be Single and Star Wars Episode VII.

Yes, I would love to hear about this as well. Do they give you blankets? I heard they do not give popcorn or hot chocolate. Bummer.

No popcorn or hot chocolate. I am not sure about blankets because I did not ask for them.

No popcorn or hot chocolate. I am not sure about blankets because I did not ask for them.

Thank you so much for all of your help. You really have made the prep work exciting!

Hello,

They play movie at the theatre as well. I am not sure if any of them are in 3D though. It is cold outside but people are hanging by the hot tub. The pic you see might be early in the morning like 5AM. The only movies I remember is How To Be Single and Star Wars Episode VII.

Thanks for the info and clarification Kinny. It's good to know that they show the movies in the theatre as well. Makes sense!

I was just on the May 27th sailing. They do have blankets available. You get them at the same station as the towel exchange. We got six blankets one evening for three of us. They are fairly large, navy, fleece blankets. It made sitting out on deck much more enjoyable.

There is free hot chocolate available in the Windjammer and at Cafe Promenade. I believe it is Nestle Dark Chocolate. I liked getting it from CP better, as they have disposable cups. WJ only has ceramic mugs.

Thank you! Can I ask you guys a question about bottled water? Did any of you bring some on the ship? I really don't want to pay a heavy price per bottle and we only bought the soda package.

Thank you! Can I ask you guys a question about bottled water? Did any of you bring some on the ship? I really don't want to pay a heavy price per bottle and we only bought the soda package.

I didn't bring any, so I'm no help there.

I will mention that the Freestyle machines (which you'll access with your soda package) have all kinds of water choices, including Dasani sparkling and flavored, VitaminWater, and fruitwater. The sparkling water seemed to be a big hit. I saw lots of people selecting that.

I have seen people bringing in water.

You can get blankets for the movies on the pool deck from the towel station, using your SeaPass card. It's averaging in the low to mid 50s right now, as we are currently on the cruise. It's not COLD, but can be a bit chilly with the wind for sure.

We are on now and it's been colder and wetter than I expected.

I recommend long sleeve T's, a hoodie and a rain jacket / wind breaker. Also gloves and stocking cap. Very windy in Skagway today

Edited by duluthga

We've been on since June 3. So far a great cruise. Juneau and Skagway were not crowded even though several ships in port. Food has been plentiful and good. A little cooler than expected. Nice having cell coverage in Juneau and Skagway. No need for ship wifi. Freestyle come mAchines often are out of certain flavors.