Live/Semi-Live review Explorer of the Seas May 20, 2016

You are very welcome. :D

Breakfast options are mainly MDR on most days with eggs, bacon, sausages (pork and turkey), hash brown, yogurt, granola, and different fruits. They also serve french toast, pan cake, oatmeal, etc... The Windjammer serves pretty much the same food, but in the MDR you can express your dietary needs that will suit your husband.

Thanks for the advice - great idea! Much appreciated :)

Some final comments.

I've had a wonderful time on board the Explorer of the Seas. The reason why I chose it is because of it being a Voyager class ship and also being the largest ship sailing to Alaska so far. It is by no means perfect.

I believe the ship itself is more for tropical climate. I love to go out to the Flowrider, but I was not too crazy about go out there in the high 40s-low 50s weather. I'm sure a lot of you have done it, but being from Texas anything below 60s is cold.

For those of us who tried to balance our caloric intake with exercises, the gym is a great place with a view. It does get busy right after it opens, so you will either go when it opens at 6AM or wait til the afternoon like 2PM or so.

Cafe Promenade is a great place to pick up Starbucks specialty coffee, and the baristas there does a great job in making them. If you have the drink package, they ask you not to sign anything on the electronic pad. With the drink package, the days of servers coming to you are pretty much gone (unless you are at the pub). This is not a problem at all and I actually prefer it that way. I've only had one instance where the bartender seems unhappy about making the drink.

Food from Izumi was okay. Unless it's Teppanyaki like on the Oasis class, I probably would not try again.

Food from Chops is awesome. I even tried my Mom's Filet and that was great. I have noticed my steak comes on a different plate on one of those extra fee dry aged steak vs the ones that is included in the initial fee. The service was superb and the servers actually remember you if you are a repeat diner.

Food from the main dining room is pretty good as usual. Initially, it takes a while for the food to get to us, but as the week goes by it has improved quite a bit. Also, a lot of passengers did not attend the second formal night because they were expecting it to be on Day 6. Quite a few of them missed out on the lobster. Also, we were limited to one lobster per passenger. Definite a first for us. Regardless, we made the best of it.

Windjammer food is good, but I see a lot of repeats throughout the week. I go there just to check out the variety of food they have after dinner sometimes. I'm what some call a amateur foodie. :D

My room attendant was great. He tries to work around my schedule, and I try not to create too much work for him. This is my first time cruising solo (in my own room), and I tend to keep things in order (other than making the bed. That's something I don't really do even at home. :D ) Overall, I think Nestor did a great job in staying invisible, but there for you when needed.

Now the question lies "Would I cruise this particular itinerary again on Explorer of the Seas?"

Yes, I would definitely cruise this itinerary, but I'm usually not too keen on flying so it maybe a couple of years before I go back to Alaska. My preference is still Caribbean cruises because I have drive to most of the ports with all my luggage, and I prefer the tropical weather. :) One thing I do love is having the cabin all to myself. It's something I would definitely do more of in the future.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I welcome any comments on how to improve my next review.

Good night,

Kinny

Thank you for your review, I am cruising June 23 on explorer and can't wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are you cruising this year? Our cruise is on June 24. If that is your sailing date, you are invited to come on over to the Roll Call.

If it is next year, you can start a Roll Call because there didn't seem to be one yet.

Beth

Thank you for the great review, tips and photos. I'm cruising solo (room of my own) with my parents and brother in late August and can't wait. I'm also from Texas so I appreciate the comments about anything below 60° is chilly to us. LOL

You know what's interesting? I was on a cruise on jewel of the seas earlier this month and they had the same misprint on this Menu. Does anyone else see it? :)

You mean the Royal Breakfast part?

If you don't mind me asking, what time was your flight out of SEA? Our flight is at 12:30PM I just want to make sure we make our flights. Also did you see many cabs at the terminal, we were hoping to catch a cab.

My Southwest flight was at 2:05 and right on time. There seemed to be a lot of cabs and vans, but don't know how those arrangements were made. There were 5 in our group and our luggage filled on of those big rolling luggage bins, so we just followed our guy to the bus. I would hope that by going in a cab you could get to the airport quicker, but only because you wouldn't have the delays of waiting for the luggage to be packed on the bus. At the time we we were on the road to the airport the traffic was very heavy. Also, with a cab, I would think your drop off could be much closer to your specific airline entrance. We had a bit of a walk from where the bus dropped us and luggage, then there was a line to get luggage checked before the walk to the terminal.

My Southwest flight was at 2:05 and right on time. There seemed to be a lot of cabs and vans, but don't know how those arrangements were made. There were 5 in our group and our luggage filled on of those big rolling luggage bins, so we just followed our guy to the bus. I would hope that by going in a cab you could get to the airport quicker, but only because you wouldn't have the delays of waiting for the luggage to be packed on the bus. At the time we we were on the road to the airport the traffic was very heavy. Also, with a cab, I would think your drop off could be much closer to your specific airline entrance. We had a bit of a walk from where the bus dropped us and luggage, then there was a line to get luggage checked before the walk to the terminal.

Thank you very much, we will try and pre arrange a pick up, but if not we will just catch a cab at the port like we normally do.

Yeah, that's it! I figured the mistake was only made on our jewel cruise. I guess it could of been fleet wide

Yes, I noticed the mistake as well. The night, there was beef wellington, they had prime rib listed under recommend and that was also a mistake.

Thank you for the great review, tips and photos. I'm cruising solo (room of my own) with my parents and brother in late August and can't wait. I'm also from Texas so I appreciate the comments about anything below 60° is chilly to us. LOL

You will love having a room of your own. When my parents are arguing, which can be often, I just tell them I am going to my room. LOL

How was the temperature on the ship itself, specifically in the dining areas, theatre, etc?

I don't have numbers, but temps in interior public spaces is comfortable. I would say low to mid 70s? If I wear a jacket inside, I will be sweating.