Live/Semi-Live review Explorer of the Seas May 20, 2016

Kinny, I have to say again just how much I am enjoying your pics and reviews. I am more excited than ever now to get sailing this coming Friday! Your pics are wonderful, especially the outside nature shots of the train ride and the glacier. Just wonderful! From your pic of your stateroom, I see you have a laptop that you're using to download and post your pics. With as much stuff as our family is already bringing, I don't know that I have the desire to bring a laptop, too. So, I most likely will not be able to live blog our trip and pics as you are doing. Well, at least none of the pics taken with my DSLR. I should still be able to post the pics from my iPhone. Although, I just found out that RCI cuts off the option to pre-order internet service three days before your sailing. I tried to order it this morning and was denied. Looks like I missed out on the 30% off pricing for pre-ordering. Darn!

What have been your favorite sights on the Alaska cruise so far? I am really looking forward to witnessing all the outdoor natural beauty!

Is there only one formal night? I've been trying to keep on on the compass and checkin? Casual and smart casual seem the same

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Day 2 and Day 5 were the formal nights. Going by the CC, the dress attire for all other non-formal nights has been listed as *casual*; not even "Smart Casual" as it is called on the RCI website.

Good to hear about the streaming. My daughter, Maddie, and I like to Periscope our vacations. Usually, they're Disney World 'Scopes, but I'm sure our followers won't mind a glimpse or two of Alaska! Hoping we can get a couple scopes in during the cruise if the wi-fi works properly. Do you have to buy the streaming wi-fi package for the whole cruise or can you do it day-by-day? How has cell service and data been in the ports?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions and post your wonderful review and pics!!!

I pre-purchased Voom + Stream for the whole voyage so I couldn't tell you. I do know that it doesn't work well if at all up north like Skagway. This could be a satellite issue. I have AT&T and has LTE at Juneau but only 4G at Skagway.

I pre-purchased Voom + Stream for the whole voyage so I couldn't tell you. I do know that it doesn't work well if at all up north like Skagway. This could be a satellite issue. I have AT&T and has LTE at Juneau but only 4G at Skagway.

Verizon was LTE in both Juneau and Skagway.

What have been your favorite sights on the Alaska cruise so far? I am really looking forward to witnessing all the outdoor natural beauty!

I would say the train ride in Skagway, then just going through the Fjord, and then the tram at Juneau.

I travelled with my parents but I am solo in my cabin so it was kind of easy to bring just one luggage for me along with my camera gear in my backpack and a laptop bag. Like I said, I had issues getting the pics off of my Canon, but I figured I could get pics off of the camera using my iPhone over the camera wifi. Its an extra step but it works wonderfully. Also, when doing that, it automatically converts the raw image into jpg, which is great.

I'm sorry if I missed your response -- on the train ride in Skaway, is there a preferable side to sit on? TYIA :) :)

No problem, I miss things all the time. They make you switch sides so it doesn't really matter. You can also go outside the platform to take pics if you want.

I travelled with my parents but I am solo in my cabin so it was kind of easy to bring just one luggage for me along with my camera gear in my backpack and a laptop bag.

We're traveling with our family of four (Me, DW, DD10, and DD4) plus my wife's parents. We have lots of luggage already. And our flight out to SEA is on Frontier, which limits the size of our checked bags, charges a poop-ton for checked bag fees, and severely restricts carry-on/personal items. But, hey, we got a good price on the flight. So, trade-offs!

My 40D doesn't have the wi-fi function. So, I would not be able to off-load the photos using my iPhone. I would have to use a laptop for that, but I don't think I want to add the extra weight and accessories of everything involved with toting a laptop.

Define "good deal?" LOL. We actually booked out inbound flight separate from our outbound flight. Inbound from Southwest, which included checked bags. Outbound from United which we had to pay. We paid $360 total which was the cheapest I have seen leaving Seattle on a Friday.

Those new cameras are incredible. One criteria I have on the new camera is low light capability, and the 6D performed spectacularly. I can take shots free hand with my 6D that I would not dream of without a tripod using my 20D. Of course, the full frame sensor is an icing on the cake. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kinny

Define "good deal?" LOL. We actually booked out inbound flight separate from our outbound flight. Inbound from Southwest, which included checked bags. Outbound from United which we had to pay. We paid $360 total which was the cheapest I have seen leaving Seattle on a Friday.

We're a party of six traveling from Chicago to Seattle. Flying to SEA on Frontier and back home to ORD on American. The total R/T cost turned out to be $275 pp. It would have been cheaper, but flying out to SEA around Memorial Day Weekend was a killer!!!! The flight to SEA was $177 pp. The flight home the following weekend was only $98 pp!

Thank you so much for writing this review..and especially the great pictures! We will be on Explorer in Sept. and next June. I have a question about Sabor & Giovonni's. Since Sabor is featured in the Giovanni restaurant for lunch, is it still possible to have a Geovanni lunch, or does Geovanni's just offer dinner on Explorer?

We really love the lunch menu at Geovanni's...and Sabor's....just wondered how this sharing space works for lunch.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for writing this review..and especially the great pictures! We will be on Explorer in Sept. and next June. I have a question about Sabor & Giovonni's. Since Sabor is featured in the Giovanni restaurant for lunch, is it still possible to have a Geovanni lunch, or does Geovanni's just offer dinner on Explorer?

We really love the lunch menu at Geovanni's...and Sabor's....just wondered how this sharing space works for lunch.

Thanks!

Hello,

Giovanni's is available for lunch in certain days, but I am not certain if they are doing them at the same time with Sabor. Its either one or the other on the compass.

Hi Kinny, I'm really enjoying your review, thanks for posting. If you get time could you tell me if Johnny Rockets are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner? If yes, is it the same menu/price at all times? TIA

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Kinny, I'm really enjoying your review, thanks for posting. If you get time could you tell me if Johnny Rockets are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner? If yes, is it the same menu/price at all times? TIA

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

JR is only open for breakfast on Oasis Class ships. Otherwise, it is the same menu and price when open for lunch and dinner. :)

Thanks for picking up the slack guys. [emoji16]. JR opens from 11:30AM to 11:00PM. No breakfast on any class ships other than Oasis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 2 and Day 5 were the formal nights. Going by the CC, the dress attire for all other non-formal nights has been listed as *casual*; not even "Smart Casual" as it is called on the RCI website.

I have not seen "Smart Casual" listed on the Cruise Compasses in a very long time--maybe a couple of years?

Linda (and C. D.)

Really enjoying your updates! We go in July. My girls are asking me about sushi. Is there a Jade sushi on the boat?

I did not noticed a Jade at the Windjammer, but I will check again.

I was wondering if there has been any poolside BBQ buffets or additional buffet type offerings in the promenade?

No BBQ, but there were philly cheese steak sandwiches served outside of the Windjammer. I think it was during day 3 or 4.