Holds placed on bank account

If you're traveling or are on vacation. If you're away from home, the added anti-fraud protection offered by credit cards can be essential if someone steals your card number or you accidentally use a shady ATM in some tourist trap, designed to harvest card data. With a credit card, you can put a stop to it without being liable for the charges (if the credit card company doesn't detect it first). Similarly, using your card for travel may open up perks to you, like discounts on rental cars, frequent flyer miles, or cash back on purchases. Finally, many hotels, airlines, and other travel companies only use credit cards for reservations and bookings. If you use debit, they may put a massive hold on your account, which can be inconvenient if you need to spend your money.

During my research I read somewhere that NCL requires you to put down $100 per person per day. There are 6 of us traveling so that can not happen! [emoji33]

That wasn't our experience. You won't have to do that. :) When you check in at the front desk, just mention you will be putting cash on your account at guest services. When you get on board the ship, you can put down whatever amount you like. Our adult sons sailed with us in November of last year and they didn't have credit cards. They put I think $50 to begin with and just added as they needed to. NCL shuts off charging privileges when the money runs out.

Edited by annietownsend

Excellent advise.

Other things to think about is:

Does your credit card charge you a Foreign Transaction Fee? That is normally ~3%. There are cards out there that do not! Some cards even give more % on travel purchases than others, too.

Always take 2 separate cards under you and your spouses name just in case you loose your card. If you both have the same card and number, your card is of no use if you loose one as you cancel that number.

Always make copies of your credit cards, passports,etc., and keep that in your cabin safe in case you loose your card. Then you can call the Credit Card company and provide them with your card number, etc.

Carry a copy of your passport when you get off the ship. Most ports will allow you to use copy unless specifically noted otherwise.

I'm sure there are other things people can add.

Great advice! :)

Just to clarify...

We don't use credit cards and were planning on using a debit card from a miscellaneous account that we don't use for household expenses. We were planning on using that for our onboard account and to have plenty of funds in it for any holds. After reading this thread, thinking about changing that.

Should we buy OBC for a few hundred? Will it be in the account when we board? We will be in a suite and didn't want to have to rush to guest services to put cash on the account to be able to use the UBP when we board. We plan on having very limited expenses since DSC are paid, we have UBP and UDP. We are traveling to Alaska so no foreign transaction fees and will have access to trustworthy ATMs.

TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you purchase OBC it will almost certainly not be showing on your account when you board, so you may have trouble until it shows up (which can take a few days).

If you have prepaid the DSC and have the dining and beverage plans then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use the plans even without any credit in your account, but haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.

Are you going to spend much else when onboard (excursions etc)? If not then, given your circumstances then perhaps a debit card will be ok.

I assume you don't actually have a credit card. If you do have one then I'd use it to set up your account and then pay your bill off towards the end using your debit card or cash. You may have a small amount going on the card if you spend anything towards the end of the cruise.

Just to clarify...

We don't use credit cards and were planning on using a debit card from a miscellaneous account that we don't use for household expenses. We were planning on using that for our onboard account and to have plenty of funds in it for any holds. After reading this thread, thinking about changing that.

Should we buy OBC for a few hundred? Will it be in the account when we board? We will be in a suite and didn't want to have to rush to guest services to put cash on the account to be able to use the UBP when we board. We plan on having very limited expenses since DSC are paid, we have UBP and UDP. We are traveling to Alaska so no foreign transaction fees and will have access to trustworthy ATMs.

TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All things considered, your using a separate account with cash in it earmarked for your trip does limit your exposure and prevents extended holds on your regular checking account so I would say that plan is certainly sensible.

However, like others have said here, credit cards do offer you certain protections and don't place holds on cash funds at all. If you don't have a credit card and are able to get one I would recommend that you do so, even if only for travel and emergencies, which are basically what they should be used for anyway. Remember that a no annual fee credit card does not incur interest, providing you pay your balance in full when the bill comes. Control your spending and you get to use somebody else's money for free.:)

I would never have, own or use a debit card period. Having a card linked to your bank accounts is just asking for problems.

Get a credit card with some sort of rewards program and pay the bill in full each month.

If you purchase OBC it will almost certainly not be showing on your account when you board, so you may have trouble until it shows up (which can take a few days).

If you have prepaid the DSC and have the dining and beverage plans then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use the plans even without any credit in your account, but haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.

Are you going to spend much else when onboard (excursions etc)? If not then, given your circumstances then perhaps a debit card will be ok.

I assume you don't actually have a credit card. If you do have one then I'd use it to set up your account and then pay your bill off towards the end using your debit card or cash. You may have a small amount going on the card if you spend anything towards the end of the cruise.

I can only report my personal experience. We had $1100 OBC pre-purchased for our last cruise. Unbeknownst to me the hold they attempted to put on my credit card did not go through (and didn't find out until a couple of days later). We did not have an issue using our cabin cards the first day. YMMV of course.

I would never have, own or use a debit card period. Having a card linked to your bank accounts is just asking for problems.

Get a credit card with some sort of rewards program and pay the bill in full each month.

It's good to be cautious , but how do you get cash when you are away from home if you do not have a card "linked to your bank accounts"? I would feel that carrying as much cash as I might conceivably need is far riskier than having an ATM card.

It's good to be cautious , but how do you get cash when you are away from home if you do not have a card "linked to your bank accounts"? I would feel that carrying as much cash as I might conceivably need is far riskier than having an ATM card.

There are still ATM cards available from some banks that just allow you to withdraw funds from the ATM but may not be used for POS purchases and the like. I am pretty sure my bank allows you the choice when you get the card.

I very rarely use or carry cash and when I travel I carry with me what I would use for tips or other situations that a card cannot be used.

There are still ATM cards available from some banks that just allow you to withdraw funds from the ATM but may not be used for POS purchases and the like. I am pretty sure my bank allows you the choice when you get the card.

My bank (Wells Fargo) does offer an ATM card and not a Debit card(with a Visa/MC logo) as Sparks referenced - I personally choose not to even have that.

Just remember there really is no such thing as a secure or safe ATM, the safest would be bank ATM's that are located INSIDE a vestibule of sorts, but skimmers can and are being attached to many that you would not expect and would like to feel are safe.

I always prepay everything i can, including gratuities. Then estimate what your going to spend, and put half that amount in cash in your account when you board. You can always add more cash. It is really the easiest way, that being said, ALWAYS bring a credit card or make sure you have money in your bank in case of emergencies while at sea or in port.

The last day of the cruise, simply go to the desk and close your account. If you have any cash left, they have always given it back to me at that time.

Good Luck!

Or would I be better off with a cash account? How does that work?

If you don't have a credit card, I suggest purchasing a prepaid Visa or MasterCard. I did that for my family when we were traveling in multiple rooms and it worked well. The good part is no holds on your bank account and no waiting for refunds. If it looks like you need to, you can add cash to your onboard account and that will be used first.

Lol. You are being very silly. Debit cards are completely safe and are protected. I have had fraud happen to me three times two times with a credit card and once in a debit card. Both resolved quickly and I am still not afraid of how and when using it.

On another thread, someone had used their debit card for their on board account. It seemed she had to wait two weeks before the holds fell off. She contacted Princess who told her the bank was responsible and the bank told her Princess was responsible, in the mean time she went two weeks without access to her funds.

Fortunately I have an unlimited American Express, which I use on all my hotels, car rentals and cruises when I book. I use my other cards for purchases. At the end of my stays or cruise, I can pay with whatever payment I choose. I never use my debit card outside my hometown, but when I do use my credit cards, when I get home I still have the money to pay them off.

As a matter of fact a couple of years ago, at a hotel in Ft Lauderdale, we were traveling with our son and DIL, and had two rooms booked and the desk receptionist put both holds on my AE, which was over $1200----a huge mistake, we were only staying one night. But thankfully it had no effect on my funds.

Lol. You are being very silly. Debit cards are completely safe and are protected. I have had fraud happen to me three times two times with a credit card and once in a debit card. Both resolved quickly and I am still not afraid of how and when using it.

If the PP is being silly it doesn't affect anyone else.

I cut my debit card up after it was hacked in Venice

Good thing I'm a detailed planner and had an additional debit card linked to a different acct for cash emergencies plus several credit cards...plus....

I did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what posters say here.....

I brought lots of euro from home and I was totally ok with my exchange rate and fee that I paid for it and good thing I did that because if the card was hacked any earlier what would I have done?

My backup debit card was just that A back up and maybe for just 100 e or so as it was my main acct so I needed to have cash there for the bills

Funny thing is that I had no reason at all to use the Venice ATM but I did anyway as it was the start of 12 day cruise so I wanted a little extra cash ....which of course I really didn't need because.....

I use credit cards

I bring cash from home

I haven't touched a debit card since 2012 and haven't missed it at all as its simple enough to cash a check every now and then just like in the Olden days

But I use credit cards for everything so cash is just for little things I guess but I've been known to charge coffee at DD

All credit cards are paid in full monthly btw

Edited by luvtheships

You would be singing a different tune if your debit card was hacked at the start of a European vacation and didn't bring enough cash from home

Credit card fraud is a total non issue and a phone call is all that's needed and then you just start using your backup credit card

When your debit card is hacked you lose access to your cash. Period. And can't get access to your funds for several days. Not sure how you would ever access your funds at all since your debit card is frozen and rendered useless as soon as reported and do you really think they will get a new card to you during a cruise? Lol

If you don't know it's hacked and it's a few days since you used it last chances are your cash is gone. So good luck there

Credit cards rule!!!

Of course those who don't qualify for them will disagree

As will those in cash businesses. Hmmm

As will those with low incomes

Edited by luvtheships

You would be singing a different tune if your debit card was hacked at the start of a European vacation and didn't bring enough cash from home

Credit card fraud is a total non issue and a phone call is all that's needed and then you just start using your backup credit card

When your debit card is hacked you lose access to your cash. Period. And can't get access to your funds for several days. Not sure how you would ever access your funds at all since your debit card is frozen and rendered useless as soon as reported and do you really think they will get a new card to you during a cruise? Lol

If you don't know it's hacked and it's a few days since you used it last chances are your cash is gone. So good luck there

Credit cards rule!!!

Of course those who don't qualify for them will disagree

As will those in cash businesses. Hmmm

As will those with low incomes

Not true at all about debit cards. Your cash is protected and will be refunded.

And the one time I had my debit card hacked I received my money back ASAP and I was traveling. But if I am traveling overseas I would of course only use a credit card or cash. That is common sense. But to tell people to not use a debit card and frighten them is ludicrous.

And the one time I had my debit card hacked I received my money back ASAP and I was traveling. But if I am traveling overseas I would of course only use a credit card or cash. That is common sense. But to tell people to not use a debit card and frighten them is ludicrous.

So if you are traveling you only use a credit card or cash?

Ok then have you forgotten that the posters here are traveling overseas?

Going to st Martin is just as much a foreign country to a cruiser as is booking a hotel in Rome for 4 nights pre cruise

Only difference is that in Rome on a land vacay you have more resources at your disposal than you do on an 8 hour port call

Your response is ridiculous. You say you got your money back and you were traveling and in the next breath you say you don't use debit cards overseas

Please don't respond. I've read your responses here and I'm not interested in them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Going to st Martin is just as much a foreign country to a cruiser as is booking a hotel in Rome for 4 nights pre cruise

Only difference is that in Rome on a land vacay you have more resources at your disposal than you do on an 8 hour port call

Your response is ridiculous. You say you got your money back and you were traveling and in the next breath you say you don't use debit cards overseas

Please don't respond. I've read your responses here and I'm not interested in them

I have used my debit card overseas and In The Caribbean many times, but mostly I choose to use credit cards. I feel safe with either of them but yes if you have a credit card by all means I would use that first. But dont scare people into not using a debit card.

Also I am uninterested in your responses too. So no need to respond to me anymore.

This depends a great deal on your particular bank, they are under no obligation to put the money back into your account ASAP. I was fortunate when my debit card was used in France (5 months before I was due to fly there) my bank also gave my money back within a day or two, but they certainly had no legal obligation to do that. I am not a big fan of scare tactics either, give people the facts and let them make up their own mind.