Tips

Mopsymillar

We are about to board our first ever cruise ship - the Emerald. We have pre paid the tips but will probably want to tip over and above that. My question is - as the Emerald is now based in Europe for a wee while- should we tip in dollars, euros or sterling? Sorry if this has already been asked

We are about to board our first ever cruise ship - the Emerald. We have pre paid the tips but will probably want to tip over and above that. My question is - as the Emerald is now based in Europe for a wee while- should we tip in dollars, euros or sterling? Sorry if this has already been asked

Any or all of the above will work fine.

Happily, the auto tip covers you for all you should tip. Like you, many of us want to tip additional to those who have given us especially great service.

Any of the three you named would be perfect and appreciated. :)

On our last cruise we were in a shop while a crew member was doing some shopping, seems chocolate was popular, he pulled out some cash I know I saw

AUS$

NZ$

US$

pound

Euro

CAN$

And a few I didn't recognise, and the ship had been down under for a few months.

I always use USD every one seems to like cash :D

Tony

There is a lot of cash other than the USD. I would have no trouble tiping with Euros or GBP as well as USD. In fact we leave tomorrow for a Baltics cruise and have no plans to take any USD.

Edited by Putterdude

There is a lot of cash other than the USD. I would have no trouble tiping with Euros or GBP as well as USD. In fact we leave tomorrow for a Baltics cruise and have no plans to take any USD.

I think what ever you use will be fine. Have a great cruise.

Tony

I think what ever you use will be fine. Have a great cruise.

Tony

Thank you. However I don't think, I know that the other two currencies are much appreciated by the crew as tips on ships based in Europe.

I would tip with whatever currency would give you the easiest conversion to the amount you wanted it. I'm assuming you are American so if tipping in pounds or Euros would make you tip a little more than you're comfortable with by using only bill or coin then use dollars. For drinks we usually only tip $1 for a drink to our bartender, assuming the service was good. So if the Euro or pound conversion to the easiest Bill we are going to use was $1.48, I might consider using dollars. Have a great time on the emerald! She is a really large ship and there's always something to do! She's a lot of fun.

On Emerald a few weeks ago from Southampton, asked cabin steward what she preferred and she said Euros as she will be there for the season, so thats what I gave her. Not much opportunity to spend sterling as Southampton is turn around port and not too many staff/crew can get off due to it being a busy day for them.

However, as others have said €, £ or $ will be gratefully accepted, but as you are a UK person £ or € is probably easier.

This is one of the ways that we divest ourselves of our foreign currency (specific to the cruise we are on).. We leave it as tips. Don't get me wrong- we don't leave Chinese RMB on a Baltics cruise---:cool: though I am certain it would be accepted. For our upcoming Med cruise, we will most likely leave Euro.