Can I use OBC instead of cash to set up onboard acct?

My 20year old dd is sailing on the Harmony with friends in a few weeks and I don't want her bringing her cc, debit card or carrying too much cash. She has a AAA visa travel money card but I know RCCL wont use that for her onboard acct.

I plan on giving her $500-$700 OBC. Will she still need to set up a cash acct? She prepaid her grats.

Thanks!

Edited by 4merlurker

My 20year old dd is sailing on the Harmony with friends in a few weeks and I don't want her bringing her cc, debit card or carrying too much cash. She has a AAA visa travel money card but I know RCCL wont use that for her onboard acct.

I plan on giving her $500-$700 OBC. Will she still need to set up a cash acct? She prepaid her grats.

Thanks!

Tell them it's a cash account, I suspect when the OBC starts to run low, they'll then ask for a top up.

But as OBC often doesn't show on your folio till day 2 or 3 they may well still want some cash down when you board.

She can actually go $500 over the OBC before they ask for the account to be paid down.

Normally when you go cash they want more before you have totally spent whatever you have put down.

So if you have $500 credit once you've spent something like $400 to $450 they ask for a top up.

Now I don't do a cash account much but if I do again I'll put down a credit card.

And then pay cash, probably the last day. That way I won't have to line up last morning to get any refund just a small credit card bill for the last morning, if I've spent anything.

Normally when you go cash they want more before you have totally spent whatever you have put down.

So if you have $500 credit once you've spent something like $400 to $450 they ask for a top up.

Now I don't do a cash account much but if I do again I'll put down a credit card.

And then pay cash, probably the last day. That way I won't have to line up last morning to get any refund just a small credit card bill for the last morning, if I've spent anything.

If you have $500 in OBC then you would be allowed to ring up charges of $1000 before being asked to pay down your account.

Anytime I have cruised with a card, I don't even see the charge for days after I am already home.

Interesting, we've always seen our charge appear "pending" on the day we get off the ship.

Chiming in with another "you don't have to put anything down".

We had a decent amount of OBC, I put us down as a cash account. Stood in line to add money, and was told that I didn't have to put down anything until I was $500 beyond my OBC.

And at the moment they said they they could see NONE of my OBC. It showed up later that first evening, but at that time, nothing.

They did send a letter when we were about halfway through the OBC, but it reiterated that we had until $500 beyond the OBC. DH skimmed the letter and was concerned, but since I'd had that conversation I read the letter carefully, and it wasn't a concerning letter at all. :)

I think I went in the next day or the day after that to put down some cash.