Just back from Bermuda on the Summit

lsnyder

Great to hear from a fellow cruiser. We plan to attend the sail-away party at the Mast Bar and the connections party. We are in Aqua Class and eating in Blu. I will keep an eye out for the Jets hat! Hope to see you on-board for a great cruise. Bob and Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your trip. As a newbie to Celebrity, I am lapping all of this information up. Love these forum boards.

Silly but quick question. One the last day for the Summit cruise to Bermuda, we debark at 7:00 am. Does that mean we leave the ship without breakfast? If so, what can we do to ensure we have some nibbles around till we can get to a breakfast place in NJ before driving home to Canada? Like, can we pick up some pastries somewhere late before zzz-ing?

Thanks lots!!

Thanks for sharing your trip. As a newbie to Celebrity, I am lapping all of this information up. Love these forum boards.

Silly but quick question. One the last day for the Summit cruise to Bermuda, we debark at 7:00 am. Does that mean we leave the ship without breakfast? If so, what can we do to ensure we have some nibbles around till we can get to a breakfast place in NJ before driving home to Canada? Like, can we pick up some pastries somewhere late before zzz-ing?

Thanks lots!!

I think the buffet may open early enough for you to grab a bagel for the road if you really need to get off the ship at 7. (It's open until 8.) Coffee's always available in the buffet area.

Additionally, the Cafe al Bacio is open and you could get a muffin.

You can easily squirrel away a bagel, muffin, a few pieces of fruit, some cookies, or whatever on the last sea day if you think it would be more convenient to just get off the ship asap. We are lucky that we don't need to catch a flight anywhere so we take our time in the Oceanview enjoying one last breakfast we don't have to cook or clean up.

I think the buffet may open early enough for you to grab a bagel for the road if you really need to get off the ship at 7. (It's open until 8.) Coffee's always available in the buffet area.

You can easily squirrel away a bagel, muffin, a few pieces of fruit, some cookies, or whatever on the last sea day if you think it would be more convenient to just get off the ship asap. We are lucky that we don't need to catch a flight anywhere so we take our time in the Oceanview enjoying one last breakfast we don't have to cook or clean up.

Since we are driving home and have all day to do so, we are not that interested in getting off the ship so quickly but the itinerary says 7:00 am debarkation and I know they need to get the ship ready for the next group of visitors. So, we aim to be respectful (as most Canadians are ;)) and follow the rules. I already have my Plan B list of breakfast places around Cape Liberty to try. LOL!! Just wanted to know because there might be some grouchy barely-woken teens to have to deal with before 7:00 am.

Save

Thanks lots!!

You will be given a time to disembark....you do not have to leave at 7. The dining room is open for breakfast until 8am on the last day as well as the buffet.

Thanks lots!!

If you have no checked luggage, and request walk off, you can leave early. Typically no elevators are available for walk offs. Due to customs restrictions, you are not allowed to bring food off the ship either. The buffet and cafe open by 5:30 AM, unless things have recently changed. If you have checked luggage you can request an early disembarkation time. Also if you are a walk off, you do not leave your luggage out in the hallway the last night of the cruise.

We have about 6 weeks to our next celebrity cruise!

Since we are driving home and have all day to do so, we are not that interested in getting off the ship so quickly but the itinerary says 7:00 am debarkation and I know they need to get the ship ready for the next group of visitors. So, we aim to be respectful (as most Canadians are ;)) and follow the rules. I already have my Plan B list of breakfast places around Cape Liberty to try. LOL!! Just wanted to know because there might be some grouchy barely-woken teens to have to deal with before 7:00 am.

Save

We debarked two weeks ago and they didn't start debarkation until 7:15. You have plenty of time to eat on board and leave at your leisure. They just want you off the ship by 9:30 or so.

Save

You won't need to vacate the cabin until 8. Then you can wait in your assigned waiting area until your assigned departure time. If you're not in a rush this could be well after 8. You won't need to drag those kids off the ship at 7!

I hope you are not suggesting they violate US Customs regulations and take muffins, bagels and fruits off the ship. That is a big no no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope you are not suggesting they violate US Customs regulations and take muffins, bagels and fruits off the ship. That is a big no no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct, there are usually nice puppies who are there from the agricultural department.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never judge the food quality on a cruise ship by the opinions of passengers. Everyone's taste and expectations are different. Even my wife and I can't agree on what a good meal is. The best judge will be YOU. The quality of cruise ship food has suffered over the past 20 years but there is still enough variety to make everyone happy however, there will always be some people who will never be happy when it comes to dining.

I've been on more than 25 cruises and have heard positive and negative reviews regarding the food on every ship..... but I have never been disappointed.

On your Bermuda cruise did you notice any difference as to how guests dressed on elegant chic nights vs. other evenings in Dining Room?

My husband still brought his tux and we dressed up. The first evening chic was a bit more dressy. The other two gentlemen we were seated with at our table in the MDR had jackets and ties on for both evening chic nights.

Correct, there are usually nice puppies who are there from the agricultural department.

Just got off the Summit yesterday. There were no nice puppies to greet us at Bayonne. :( Some friends got away with carrying a self-made snack package (muffins, puff pastries and yes, even fruit!!) off the boat for the long drive home. During the galley tour, we were told that all the food onboard comes from New Jersey with very little exception (fresh lettuce etc.) so maybe on the day we landed, the powers that be were not as concerned....?

So, now the friends think I'm a stick in the mud for following rules ....but at least I know I can be depended on to walk the straight path. :)

Thank you for your review. I always like reading opinions from people who don't usually cruise X.

I'm with you on the Aqua Spa Cafe. I used to love it on the Century and M class ships (we're talking 7+ years ago). But it has changed for the worst. I won't even bother now checking the menu. It takes forever for them to make sub par food.:eek:

We are contemplating a NCL cruise. It has the drinks package included (but we have to pay the grats which to me, is lame). I keep reading that they have only 1 choice of each type of wines (chardonnay is apparently terrible) and from what I gather, there is no premium (like you said) and to get a better wine is next to impossible, even when paying the difference. Does this sound accurate?

We were just in the NCL Escape and got the drink package as a perk. While it included all the wine beer specialty drinks it did not include water or specialty coffee. I much prefer Celebrity's drink package.

Just got off the Summit yesterday. There were no nice puppies to greet us at Bayonne. :( Some friends got away with carrying a self-made snack package (muffins, puff pastries and yes, even fruit!!) off the boat for the long drive home. During the galley tour, we were told that all the food onboard comes from New Jersey with very little exception (fresh lettuce etc.) so maybe on the day we landed, the powers that be were not as concerned....?

So, now the friends think I'm a stick in the mud for following rules ....but at least I know I can be depended on to walk the straight path. :)

I think they are concerned but they don't have enough personel to inspect every single passenger. Most of the enforcement is random.

You are not a stick in the mud. You were being a good citizen. Your friends were being douchebags. Passengers should abide by the agricultural regulations. They are not arbitrary regulations. Major crop and enviremental damage can be done if foreign pests or parasites get in.

We were just in the NCL Escape and got the drink package as a perk. While it included all the wine beer specialty drinks it did not include water or specialty coffee. I much prefer Celebrity's drink package.

I used my drink package on Summit for specialty coffee and bottled water more than I did for alcoholic drinks.

Like I mentioned in my review - most people I spoke to on the ship said the MDR food was fine...so it's quite possible it was what I was ordering - although I tried to stick with the waiters suggestions each evening...my husband sat in on a "how to cook a steak" seminar in the Tuscan Grill (which he found quite interesting) and the executive chef there said they alter the MDR menu based on ship demographics in addition to what they can source in mass quantities...

I've heard before that the quantities of food are altered according to demographics - people from one country might eat more beef, people from another might eat more fish, or chicken. I've also heard, and believe, that the menus overall are set by Corporate. I hope they wouldn't change them because of age, although maybe it's part of a secret plot to get that younger demographic they're always craving. "Hey Chef, we've got mostly older people on for next week - serve them the rubbishy stuff so that they never book with us again, OK?" :D