Just back from Bermuda on the Summit

lsnyder

Happened upon this thread because we're considering Bermuda for next spring and will NOT sail the BA again unless we're in the Haven (which we cannot afford, esp now that we splurged on our recent Hawaiian cruise). Do you think a couple in their early/mid 30's would enjoy the Summit?

I think it depends what's most important to you on a cruise. On our recent sailing I'd guess most (75%?) were 50's and above - with a smaller percentage in their 40's like us (because they were home with their kids/ teenagers UNLIKE us!) - even smaller % in their 30's. Very minimal late teens/early 20's traveling with their 50's parents and 70-80's grandparents (one dad told me that his 20's were bored)....

If you don't want tons of children then this time of year and ship is for you probably. Spa is nice, gym is nice (not at all crowded), pool area and bars are nice...

We live in Annapolis area and traveling out of Baltimore was great - so was Bayonne. hmmm...I liked the Pride because they had a separate back deck area for adults 21 & over - so it was away from the summer kids (I like kids but mine are teens now and I like peace and quiet too :) - It was definitely not "downscale" - it was right in line with Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity...we also really enjoyed the comedy club - and the cruise director (who has since moved on to another ship) was fabulous.

Norwegian is my favorite because I prefer smaller dining rooms and dining when I want to dine - which can vary from day to day.

Thanks, that's really helpful. We live in Maryland as well. We tried the Enchantment of the Seas once, and the Grandeur once, but there were things we didn't love about it and it's INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE. The Pride seems like such a bargain but we've been wary. I'd actually like to try something with more emphasis on "fun" but while I'm not exactly a pearl-clutching matron, I have worried a little if my idea of fun would align with theirs based on what I've read/heard about. I've seen daily schedules for Norwegian and Carnival and it does seem like there's more engaging/interactive activities we'd enjoy. We are very good at relaxing and doing nothing at home--we quite like being engaged and entertained on a cruise, as well as being fed and cleaned up after...

Have you tried Anthem of the Seas?

We tried the Quantum- The absolute worst cruise ever. We were so disappointed. We really like royal- but this ship and probably her sister Anthem- were not to be believed. Horrible crowding and poor crowd control waited on very long lines, over 2 hours for the arm that goes high above the ship for a few minute ride and the bumper cars also a 2 hour wait- Couldn't find a seat in the buffet the first few days and gave up.

The reviews were poor, but I went despite the negative reviews- sometimes it really pays to read the reviews with an open mind. If a ship gets 47% of people who liked it- something is definately wrong!

Stick to Royal's Oasis or Freedom Class!

Edited by Cruise a holic

We will be right with you this Sunday on Celebrity Summit. But this is our 22nd Celebrity cruise and our 5th time to Bermuda. I wish someone had told me to go on a cruise when I was 23 which was also back in 1981. Too busy going to Yankee Stadium and chasing after Dave Righetti. Oh well.....

You guys are lucky since its fleet week, all the military ships in the harbor. Don't know for sure but you might miss that tour around the statue because of all the traffic in the harbor but having Fleet week should more than make up for it.

Does anyone know or has anyone seen the Summit inviting guests to sail away on the Helipad THIS YEAR? I called Captain's Club and asked and the shoreside concierge and they said that it is not done and one rep said she had never heard of it. Yet, I have read about people being invited to it here on CC. We are leaving for Betmuda out of Bayonne this Sunday!!! Thanks so much

Does anyone know or has anyone seen the Summit inviting guests to sail away on the Helipad THIS YEAR? I called Captain's Club and asked and the shoreside concierge and they said that it is not done and one rep said she had never heard of it. Yet, I have read about people being invited to it here on CC. We are leaving for Betmuda out of Bayonne this Sunday!!! Thanks so much

We have done this several times...Sydney, Gibraltar come to mind immediately. I believe it was a captains club bennie for elite and above.

Hey. Anyone recently back from the Summit...how is the air conditioning aboard the ship? We have been on cruises were there has been a rush on buying sweatshirts for warmth. How chilly are the public areas? Packing for this Sunday's sailing.

Thanks!

Hey. Anyone recently back from the Summit...how is the air conditioning aboard the ship? We have been on cruises were there has been a rush on buying sweatshirts for warmth. How chilly are the public areas? Packing for this Sunday's sailing.

Thanks!

Cold, bring a sweater or a sweatshirt.

I have read a lot about subpar food in the MDR but our party of 10, ranging from 15-73 ate there every night-the 6 adults had planned on the couple of specialty restaurants but were so enjoying the multi-generational conversations that we did not. we all enjoyed our food, from appetizers through dessert and we are a family who spends lots of time dining out all over ny and nj so don't be afraid. hopefully you will enjoy too! btw, we still enjoy having a set dinner time and getting to enjoy the wait staff and sommelier.

I have read a lot about subpar food in the MDR but our party of 10, ranging from 15-73 ate there every night-the 6 adults had planned on the couple of specialty restaurants but were so enjoying the multi-generational conversations that we did not. we all enjoyed our food, from appetizers through dessert and we are a family who spends lots of time dining out all over ny and nj so don't be afraid. hopefully you will enjoy too! btw, we still enjoy having a set dinner time and getting to enjoy the wait staff and sommelier.

Great to hear :cool:

I can tell you it wasn't offered to Elite or CC cabin passengers on the 5/15 sailing. Maybe suites though.

we are just lowest level captain's club and were concierge but received the invite. went up briefly but to tell the truth it was no better there than any other deck. no one checked anything, you walked thru the theater on deck 5 and followed the directions to the helipad.

We were Concierge, and were invited to a sailaway upstairs in the new movie area. Champagne and Mimosas were served, along with cold towels. Some of the Officers were in attendance. Nicely done, and certainly a better vantage point than the Helipad, IMO

DH and I were on this cruise as the original poster. This was our 28th cruise but 1st with Celebrity. We were both very impressed and have booked the Summit again for Nov to the Southern Caribbean. We are mid 50's and I like current pop music which I found was plentiful. I feel there was an excellent mix of 50's - today's music throughout the ship. We ate all meals in MDR Select Dining. I'm picky so I enjoyed the food but stuck mostly to the beef entrees. DH enjoyed a much larger variety and seemed very happy with his choices. I wasn't impressed with the dessert selections but that was probably a good thing! I also thought that the activities were very varied from pool games to trivia. Most of the production shows were very good except for the 1st comedian (female) but the guys later in the cruise were better.

Bottom Line: we are all different and enjoy what we like. I think as we become "seasoned cruisers" we become jaded in our opinions. It is what you make it.

Remember: I day on a cruise ship always beats a day at work/home. IMHO.

We also are cruising on June 12th. This will be our 6th time on the Summit and we have never been disappointed. Maybe we will run into you guys on the ship. We like hanging at the Sunset Bar all the way aft.Great bar crew there. My name is William. Jets hat.sail on.:cool:

So my take-a-way is crowds do not make cruisers happy. The food in the MDR is not all that special, but okay. If I personally send my food back, no matter what restaurant, on a Celebrity ship, my next meal is always better. I just don't give it a thought. Celebrity has changed quite a bit, and IMO they cater to more of an upscale cruiser. However, sometimes you have to realize that your experiences throughout life provide the filter for other things that you do, and at times we do expect too much. I know, because this does happen to me and I have to remind myself that everyone's expectations are quite different. Maybe SilverSea is more of a cruise line that has fantastic food, along with a much smaller group. There are so many options out there to try, but a cruise still has lots of people to please. I try to always do my homework on cruises, plan a land vacation to go with the cruise, and totally hold myself responsible for researching my options. Then, I can share the blame!

Norwegian is not my cup of tea, but it seems to agree very well with you.

Thank you for your honest review!:):)

Edited by Lastdance