Do you get a lot of vibration or noise at the back of the ships?

poobears

We've always stayed around Empress level mid ship. Right now we are booked Riviera deck back near the back of the ship on Triumph in a 4 person room. I notice they now have a room on deck 2 main room 2414. Are the rooms near the rear of the ship down low ok as far as vibration and engine noise go?

The one we are in right now has a trundle couch I do not want the kids to have to share a bed which essentially they have to do with the way the couch is set up, just looked at a photo of their trundle couches. This room has a Pullman bed and a couch so everyone would have their own bed. That would work much better and I think it would give everyone more space without the trundle bed out in the floor.

Edited by poobears

The only time I have EVER been seasick was in an aft wrap cabin.....we were also were assigned the aft dining room. I thought I had food poisoning until our cabin steward told me what was happening. Never again! It was the "vibration" that got me.

Edited by 04acruise

We've always stayed around Empress level mid ship. Right now we are booked Riviera deck back near the back of the ship on Triumph in a 4 person room. I notice they now have a room on deck 2 main room 2414. Are the rooms near the rear of the ship down low ok as far as vibration and engine noise go?

The one we are in right now has a trundle couch I do not want the kids to have to share a bed which essentially they have to do with the way the couch is set up, just looked at a photo of their trundle couches. This room has a Pullman bed and a couch so everyone would have their own bed. That would work much better and I think it would give everyone more space without the trundle bed out in the floor.

Yes more then anywhere else.

Yes there can be a lot of noise/vibration in the aft cabins which is why I book them. The lower and further back the better. It drowns out the obnoxious, rude people in the hallway all hours of the night and puts me to sleep. The louder the better in my book. I can stand a constant noise but am wide awake if startled while asleep.

You will either love it or hate it. If you like it quiet at night, the aft is not for you.

I'm not sure if the girls will get seasick or not, this will be their first cruise and they do get carsick really easy. I get carsick extremely easy but not sick on a cruise unless we get on super rough seas although I've never been in a low room in the back. Aww heck maybe I better look at changing rooms to mid ship.

Do I need to just move mid ship or do I need to move mid ship and higher? It looks like I can only move up to main with an OV on mid ship is that going to be high enough, doesn't seem like one floor will make much of a difference. Would be $10 more, they do have a Pullman bed in one room left.

I'm not sure if the girls will get seasick or not, this will be their first cruise and they do get carsick really easy. I get carsick extremely easy but not sick on a cruise unless we get on super rough seas although I've never been in a low room in the back. Aww heck maybe I better look at changing rooms to mid ship.

Do I need to just move mid ship or do I need to move mid ship and higher? It looks like I can only move up to main with an OV on mid ship is that going to be high enough, doesn't seem like one floor will make much of a difference. Would be $10 more, they do have a Pullman bed in one room left.

Midship the lower the better.

Had aft extended balcony on Carnival Sunshine last September. Never noticed any vibrations. Had 50 knot winds and rain one night, noticed nothing. Only trouble we had was our room was right below the salsa band that played until 1am.

Thanks I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get us switched to the mid ship room on the main deck hopefully that will help. I'd hate for them to be sick and miserable on their first cruise, especially since we have another one booked in Dec.

I was on the glory in May 7 and had room 2478, the first 3 days the room was vibrating so bad i thought the tv might fall on the wall. It knocked all my books off the window seal (except my bible) into the floor. It did ease up after the 4th day but it was hard to sleep due to the vibration. I have never had a room shake like that. If i am on the aft it will be higher up.

Thanks I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get us switched to the mid ship room on the main deck hopefully that will help. I'd hate for them to be sick and miserable on their first cruise, especially since we have another one booked in Dec.

I wouldn't wait until tomorrow especially if there is only 1 room left with the Pullman bed. Call now.

Oh, but make sure of what is above you. The Galley can have lots of noise throughout the night. It never closes due to room service and they do clean up late into the night and start cooking early in the morning.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Had cabin 2474 on the Magic which is a window cabin on Deck 2 as far back as you can go on the ship. Surprisingly when the ship was traveling at close to 20 knots, there was little vibration. When in port, however, the vibration was extreme as they used the thrusters to maneuver the ship in tight quarters. Note also that this usually took place in the very early hours of the morning as they entered the port. The good news is that you didn't have to be worried about being late for an excursion. You will be up hours before you would need to go.

I have decided that all my future cruises will be booked mid ship.

Looks like the "mid ship" room really isn't much more mid ship than the aft room, it's only 7 rooms away, it's still at the back of the ship. Not sure it's going to help any with noise or vibration and yes it would be right under the galley. UGH had the perfect room when we had 3 in a room but when we switched to 4 in a room we got stuck in the pit lol

Looks like the "mid ship" room really isn't much more mid ship than the aft room, it's only 7 rooms away, it's still at the back of the ship. Not sure it's going to help any with noise or vibration and yes it would be right under the galley. UGH had the perfect room when we had 3 in a room but when we switched to 4 in a room we got stuck in the pit lol

What are the cabin numbers you can choose from? Believe it or not, 7 cabins from the back isn't that bad.

We've cruised the Triumph eight times from Galveston and last NYE I booked two corner cabins on deck two. It reflects my biggest mistake ever on cabin selection.

The ship pitched in slightly rough seas and it felt the room bounced. The noise from both engine and line winches was a mess. Our door to the bathroom vibrated open, the glasses rattled on the counter and I had enough.

Appreciate I live in the Galveston area, fish offshore in a 22' center console boat and had never been this dizzy aboard a roller coaster.

We love balconies forward on the lido deck or one up, and if we choose a window cabin then midship on deck two. Even inside cabins are better for access to everything on the lido deck.

Your mileage may vary...

Edited by BallFour4

YES, YES, YES...absolutely...(relatives and friends have complained a lot about it) we always get middle deck 7 or 8 (maybe close to middle forward but not too forward) but NEVER aft location.

Even though I do not suffer from motion sickness if seas are rougher than normal and we are in MDR for dinner, we feel the motion and vibration a lot more in aft areas. We have avoided the MDR in rough seas knowing it will not be a good experience.

Would forward be better? Here is what I'm looking at right now

These are quad OVs with Pullmans that I see:

2389 (this is the one that's more mid ship)

2235 (these 2 are forward connecting but would only need one of course)

I considered doing separate rooms of 2 in each but my DS will probably be coming in a lot later than us and with it being DDs first cruise the one that is left in the room with him doesn't want to be alone until whenever he decides to come in. I can't afford to do 2 connecting OVs, trying to keep costs down since I have another cruise I need to pay for too and just booked both of these so haven't paid for either yet. Kind of a spur of the moment thing with the discount deposit sale they had going on.

I've never done insides but I guess I could if I had to, I didn't see any connecting inside rooms left though unless I missed them so that wouldn't work either. I will recheck those.

I would say it depends on the ship. Last year we saiedl on the Victory. We booked only 3 months before sailing and we had the 2 attached balcony rooms that were right before the rooms became aft balconies and my husband kept saying the rooms were going to be bad. We had no vibration at all and the rooms were quieter that any midship room we had on any of our previous cruises. Google the ship and room number and see what info comes up

Would forward be better? Here is what I'm looking at right now

These are quad OVs with Pullmans that I see:

2389 (this is the one that's more mid ship)

2235 (these 2 are forward connecting but would only need one of course)

I considered doing separate rooms of 2 in each but my DS will probably be coming in a lot later than us and with it being DDs first cruise the one that is left in the room with him doesn't want to be alone until whenever he decides to come in. I can't afford to do 2 connecting OVs, trying to keep costs down since I have another cruise I need to pay for too and just booked both of these so haven't paid for either yet. Kind of a spur of the moment thing with the discount deposit sale they had going on.

I've never done insides but I guess I could if I had to, I didn't see any connecting inside rooms left though unless I missed them so that wouldn't work either. I will recheck those.

All of those cabins are connecting. They don't have connecting inside rooms. What is the cabin you're booked in now?

Haven't cruised with Carnival yet (only DCL) but I like the aft rooms because I think they provide excellent views... You will feel vibrations and noise (it feels more like white noise to me and I know some people sleep better with it). And you'll hear "bangs" when they get on port somewhere but if you wake up early it won't bother you. Husband and I liked to go on the balcony and watch people attach the cruiseship to the dock.

As for sea sickness: Whenever I feel sea sick, I feel sea sick everywhere I go so being aft doesn't make it worst. I take ginger pills during the day and gravol at night and I'm feeling just fine.

Haven't heard of Gravol is it OTC or prescription? might have to look into it just in case.

Right now we are booked into room 1387 and it has a trundle couch which basically means 2 kids are going to be sharing a bed from the looks of the photos of that thing. Once it's pulled out it looks like one bed, also read some reviews it's pretty uncomfortable. The sofa has good sleeping reviews though so don't mind having a sofa for a bed just not a trundle sofa.

I think for their ages they'd all prefer separate beds lol

Edited by poobears

Haven't heard of Gravol is it OTC or prescription? might have to look into it just in case.

Right now we are booked into room 1387 and it has a trundle couch which basically means 2 kids are going to be sharing a bed from the looks of the photos of that thing. Once it's pulled out it looks like one bed, also read some reviews it's pretty uncomfortable. The sofa has good sleeping reviews though so don't mind having a sofa for a bed just not a trundle sofa.

I think for their ages they'd all prefer separate beds lol

Based upon your choices, I would pick 2235. I am not a fan of connecting cabins because the doors in between the rooms are thin and if you have noisy neighbors, it can get very loud. There may be some noise from the theatre above, but it should be over with at a reasonable hour. Also if the seas are rough, the up and down of the ship can make many people sick. That is worse to me than any vibration. But I don't think that cabin would be too bad.

If it came down to it though, I would get 2 inside cabins. Not only for the fact that everyone will have their own "real sized" bed, but also for 2 bathrooms. They don't have connecting insides, so the lonely one could either visit the other cabin, enjoy some peace and quiet, or order room service and watch TV. Maybe she will meet some friends and won't have to be alone.

I get insides all the time and really like them. It's the best sleep ever. This coming from someone that is extremely claustrophobic. I have no problems in there.

thanks, I think I'll call and have us switched for now, that will buy me some time to figure out the next move. Good thing they don't charge per room change lol

I just realized I'm booked ES so I can't change to inside rooms anyways, that would be considered a downgrade from OV and ES doesn't allow downgrades according to their terms.

I can bump up to a balcony for $250 more on a higher level which would take care of the noise and vibration issues but then I'm back to paying more which I was trying to avoid. I guess I could hope for price drops between now and then.

Would I have to pay the $250 today if I upgraded? Been too long since I sailed, can't remember. Not past final payment, that's not until the end of Aug.

thanks, I think I'll call and have us switched for now, that will buy me some time to figure out the next move. Good thing they don't charge per room change lol

I just realized I'm booked ES so I can't change to inside rooms anyways, that would be considered a downgrade from OV and ES doesn't allow downgrades according to their terms.

I can bump up to a balcony for $250 more on a higher level which would take care of the noise and vibration issues but then I'm back to paying more which I was trying to avoid. I guess I could hope for price drops between now and then.

Would I have to pay the $250 today if I upgraded? Been too long since I sailed, can't remember. Not past final payment, that's not until the end of Aug.

You're right about not being able to downgrade with ES.

You wouldn't need to pay the additional $250 today, just at final payment. If you can, try and snag a balcony on the 7th deck. 6 and 8 are tricky with the things that are above/below. But if you change, then you can't go back to an OV.

I like OVs better, but with your choices as limited as they are, I might consider a balcony. I just don't like m because of the people on either side that slam the balcony doors. Makes me so mad when m trying to sleep! It might be a nice treat for their first cruise, though.